Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

ammama

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done the group surfing lesson at Typhoon Lagoon? Did you enjoy it? Was it worth the money ($165 pp)? My daughter will be turning 13 while we are there next month and has asked for this for her present. Would this be something someone her age would enjoy? Thanks for any input!

DS really enjoyed himself when he was 13, in fact he tried it again the following year. I do think it is a worthwhile experience, but be warned, you have to be an early riser on surfing day. If it's still the same, the surfing begins well before TL opens. I thought it was a unique experience to be at the water park before the crowds arrive, and I enjoyed myself just being a spectator.

My daughter did it when she turned 16, and really had a good time. After instruction, they get about ten waves to ride, but there is no waiting for the perfect wave---they all are. It is early morning, but totally worth the money.

You guys have talked me into it. I'm guessing not many Missouri girls can say they went surfing on their 13th birthday!

My wife & kids got us surfing lessons for my birthday a few years back. I've been into surfing all my life but hadn't actually really surfed before. We were going to WDW for my wife's birthday that year and they thought this would be fun for us to do as a family. AND IT WAS! One of my favorite birthday presents ever. ::yes::

As MouseClubMama mentioned it is a VERY early day - we were there in early September and at the gates before it was light outside! But it soon got light and the instructors (who were very nice and helpful) set about chatting with everyone and instructing how to paddle, how to stand, etc.

The instructors got in the water with the students and helped them by pushing the boards onto the waves so people didn't have to paddle as hard and could focus on standing up on the wave.

My wife & oldest stood up on the board - I attribute that to their years in gymnastics. :) I didn't get up standing, but I kept trying. :) You then have to walk the board out the shallow end and carry it back to the side of the wave pool, which takes a lot of time and effort. It's not a "relaxing" time, but it's a BLAST. :D

Have a ton of fun & I'd love to read a report when you return!

EDIT: After years of lurking, I finally joined to reply to your post! :D

My wife & kids got us surfing lessons for my birthday a few years back. I've been into surfing all my life but hadn't actually really surfed before. We were going to WDW for my wife's birthday that year and they thought this would be fun for us to do as a family. AND IT WAS! One of my favorite birthday presents ever. ::yes::

As MouseClubMama mentioned it is a VERY early day - we were there in early September and at the gates before it was light outside! But it soon got light and the instructors (who were very nice and helpful) set about chatting with everyone and instructing how to paddle, how to stand, etc.

The instructors got in the water with the students and helped them by pushing the boards onto the waves so people didn't have to paddle as hard and could focus on standing up on the wave.

My wife & oldest stood up on the board - I attribute that to their years in gymnastics. :) I didn't get up standing, but I kept trying. :) You then have to walk the board out the shallow end and carry it back to the side of the wave pool, which takes a lot of time and effort. It's not a "relaxing" time, but it's a BLAST. :D

Have a ton of fun & I'd love to read a report when you return!

EDIT: After years of lurking, I finally joined to reply to your post! :D

I'm so glad my wonderful thought-provoking post brought you out of lurkdom! We are definitely going to do it! My oldest and husband are very excited.

1) I have not done the surfing at TL.
2) However, I have had to chauffeur lots of folks to/from for surfing.
3) Not a single person (pardon me, surfing "DUDES") ever complained.
4) In fact, almost to a Dude, they all raved on the back to the resort.
5) Based upon these comments, I have no qualms about recommending these.

You guys have talked me into it. I'm guessing not many Missouri girls can say they went surfing on their 13th birthday!

She will totally love it!!! Did this for my DS high school graduation, along with his older brother and SIL. That was nearly 10 years ago and they were just talking about it the other night! A great way for us inlanders to get surfing exposure. As PP mentioned, it is early! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter