Supermarket Between Airport and Aulani

Silver Queen

DIS Veteran
We will be returning to Aulani in two weeks and bringing our DS, DDiL, and 2 grandsons. Our plan lands at 2:00 and we have rented a car. We thought it would be efficient to stop at a supermarket on our way to Aulani and get some groceries for the week. When just the two of us were there several years ago we did go to a supermarket once, but don’t remember any of the detail. i believe that there is a Food Land nearby. Can anyone give us some tips on where we should stop for groceries before checking in at Aulani?

You pass by a Safeway, Target, and Costco. Around the area wher HIGHWAY 1, turns into Farrington highway.

Unless an adult plans to stay in the car, I suggest you go to Aulani first and unload your bags and check in. Then drive back to Kapolei, which is just the next exit over and go shopping. There are several local grocery stores as well as a Walmart and Target. It is not advisable to leave your luggage in your car anywhere on the Island. Thieves look for tourist and will quickly empty your car, even the trunk. Google map the area and you will see all of the stores.

Thank you, Lillian! I had forgotten about the car break-in problem. I suspect that all 6 of us will not want to go into the store. We hope to use the time before check-in efficiently so we don’t have to go back out after a long flight. Your advice is excellent.

We will be returning to Aulani in two weeks and bringing our DS, DDiL, and 2 grandsons. Our plan lands at 2:00 and we have rented a car. We thought it would be efficient to stop at a supermarket on our way to Aulani and get some groceries for the week. When just the two of us were there several years ago we did go to a supermarket once, but don’t remember any of the detail. i believe that there is a Food Land nearby. Can anyone give us some tips on where we should stop for groceries before checking in at Aulani?
Costco, Safeway and foodland is in nearby kapolei. Foodland and Costco have more local snacks, foods. You know what you get at Costco!

We don’t have a Costco membership so I doubt if we can shop there.
All of the other stores have the same stuff as Costco but not in huge bulk, which I find to be better anyway. You won't miss out on anything not going to Costco.

You won't miss out on anything not going to Costco.
That Costco sells the best bundle of beach/sand toys on the planet. I've gone insane trying to find it on the mainland but I can't find it anywhere. The shovel in particular is the best kids shovel in the universe.

That Costco sells the best bundle of beach/sand toys on the planet. I've gone insane trying to find it on the mainland but I can't find it anywhere. The shovel in particular is the best kids shovel in the universe.
Thanks for that info. I am past the little kid phase so don't pay attention to that. Food wise, you can get the usual stuff elsewhere.

What kind of poke would you recommend to this guest who may be experiencing it for the first time?
Depends on your taste but the California roll style poke is the one my wife gets. She isn't a big sushi or fish person but loves it. I enjoy the Shoyu which is scallions, onions and soy sauce

Get ready for sticker shock when you do start filling the cart - and this is coming from someone in So Cal. You are on vacation; just close your eyes and put it in the cart. It's still cheaper than eating out every meal.

I want to second Foodland in Kapolei. Get the poke, you won't be disappointed
I agree, the Foodland stores have some of best poke, if you google best poke they are always on the lists.
What kind of poke would you recommend to this guest who may be experiencing it for the first time?

I have a bad habit of trying lots of kinds and then never remembering which one is my favorite. But one trick is you'll see that a few containers are much larger than the others, I always go for those and most times one particular tuna poke will have a lot take out while the others are still full, I figure that it's a popular one.

If you're shopping before arriving at Aulani, keep in mind that the resort won't be able to store perishable items until your room is ready. If you are buying perishable items, you might want to wait to shop until closer to check in time (after 3pm for standard/suite rooms and after 4pm for deluxe studios/villas).

It is not advisable to leave your luggage in your car anywhere on the Island. Thieves look for tourist and will quickly empty your car, even the trunk.

Thanks for this! I would not have thought about it. Any other personal security practices a non-local should know while visiting Aulani and Oahu in general (outside of situational awareness and common sense)?

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Oahu having Target, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Costco, or anything from the Mainland. When I lived there they had none of those things. I'm sure it's a good thing though because I sure did miss having Target

Or it being so dangerous. That's truly sad. I lived not too far from where they built Aulani and was alone and with a baby and never hesitated going anywhere alone. Not on that side of the island. Everyone was so nice and friendly. Never any tourists though. Is the construction of the resort part of what brought it?

Thanks for this! I would not have thought about it. Any other personal security practices a non-local should know while visiting Aulani and Oahu in general (outside of situational awareness and common sense)?
Hawaii has it's own set of laws, mainly to do with the environment like you need reef safe sunscreen. They also have laws like it is illegal to be looking at your phone while crossing the street. I suggest Googling "what I need to know when traveling to Hawaii", and "Hawaii laws every tourist should know". As far as security, Oahu is pretty safe, especially in the tourist areas. The worst is the car break ins. Hawaiians also think that honking your car horn is extremely rude. People there are usually a bit more courteous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter