Super bowl. Andy Reid and Travis Kelse

OhMari

WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator
I truly was rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs. I also am a huge fan of Jason and Travis Kelce's Podcast. But I just lost a ton of respect for Travis Kelce.
Travis Kelce bumped Andy Reid during the Super Bowl, because he wanted to go in and play. Maybe the subject isn't to light hearted, because I have a lot of peers that used to ref and coach, and they got out of it, because of people screaming at them. I also know before you sign up your child for any sports, you need to sign a waiver that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated and you will be ejected from any kind of situation, by screaming at a coach or a ref. He would do everyone a favor, and make a poster to say, I'm sorry, and this should never be allowed. Also I am sure, Andy didn't want to take away from winning the Super Bowl and chastising Travis, but this isn't the Andy Reid that used to be on the coaching staff in Green Bay when he worked for the Packers. It saddens me, that many kids and parents saw Travis's actions, Andy has to stop making excuses, it wasn't acceptable.

I'm not really familiar with the people involved or what they're like, but simply watching it happening during the game was surprising. I'm not really surprised there weren't repercussions on the spot considering the event, but I did expect on Monday we'd be hearing how the player got fined by the team.

I truly was rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs. I also am a huge fan of Jason and Travis Kelce's Podcast. But I just lost a ton of respect for Travis Kelce.
Travis Kelce bumped Andy Reid during the Super Bowl, because he wanted to go in and play. Maybe the subject isn't to light hearted, because I have a lot of peers that used to ref and coach, and they got out of it, because of people screaming at them. I also know before you sign up your child for any sports, you need to sign a waiver that this kind of behavior will not be tolerated and you will be ejected from any kind of situation, by screaming at a coach or a ref. He would do everyone a favor, and make a poster to say, I'm sorry, and this should never be allowed. Also I am sure, Andy didn't want to take away from winning the Super Bowl and chastising Travis, but this isn't the Andy Reid that used to be on the coaching staff in Green Bay when he worked for the Packers. It saddens me, that many kids and parents saw Travis's actions, Andy has to stop making excuses, it wasn't acceptable.
I fully agree with you, Mari. and you also, @cabanafrau.

And great to see you also, Mari.. :wave2:

I don't have an issue with it. NFL teams aren't really the hierarchy that people from the outside might think they are. Players often know more about playing their positions than their coaches. Kelce is one of the best tight ends in the world, not just some college kid or parent at Pop Warner. Things were tense because the high-powered offense wasn't doing much, and as an NFL coach, you take ultimate responsibility when things aren't going well. That includes answering to your players.

Reid is also smart enough to know that Kelce was angry at the situation, not him. I'm sure they will talk in private, which I think is the right way to handle it. They don't owe the public an explanation or apology.

I watched an interview video with Coach Reid, and he said that he was caught off balance. He brushed the whole thing off, but he seemed hesitant at times. It must be embarrassing for him and it made me mad too. I don't care how great you are as a player, that kind of treatment of your coach is unacceptable. IMO.

I also heard that if he didn't put Kelce in to play, that Taylor would dump him, and write a song about it! :rotfl2: Just had to add a little humor into it:)

I watched an interview video with Coach Reid, and he said that he was caught off balance. He brushed the whole thing off, but he seemed hesitant at times. It must be embarrassing for him and it made me mad too. I don't care how great you are as a player, that kind of treatment of your coach is unacceptable. IMO.

I also heard that if he didn't put Kelce in to play, that Taylor would dump him, and write a song about it! :rotfl2: Just had to add a little humor into it:)
ah yes...Taylor's pen is mightier than any NFL sword. lol
You definitely don't want to get on Taylor's bad side in a song. (You will literally never hear the end of it!)

I don't have an issue with it. NFL teams aren't really the hierarchy that people from the outside might think they are. Players often know more about playing their positions than their coaches. Kelce is one of the best tight ends in the world, not just some college kid or parent at Pop Warner. Things were tense because the high-powered offense wasn't doing much, and as an NFL coach, you take ultimate responsibility when things aren't going well. That includes answering to your players.

Reid is also smart enough to know that Kelce was angry at the situation, not him. I'm sure they will talk in private, which I think is the right way to handle it. They don't owe the public an explanation or apology.

I cannot disagree strong enough with your post! The sense of entitlement and self-importance is the problem with many professional athletes these days. When we were raising our boys, we taught them "there is no I in team". I also don't believe that TK knows more than AR but that aside, it is NEVER appropriate to put your hands on someone in anger and shove, push, slap, punch, etc. Unacceptable and inexcusable imho.

I cannot disagree strong enough with your post! The sense of entitlement and self-importance is the problem with many professional athletes these days. When we were raising our boys, we taught them "there is no I in team". I also don't believe that TK knows more than AR but that aside, it is NEVER appropriate to put your hands on someone in anger and shove, push, slap, punch, etc. Unacceptable and inexcusable imho.
It's definitely not a great example for kids. But I also think it's totally overblown just because it was caught on camera. There are a lot of assistant coaches and other players screaming at guys every game, especially when things aren't going well. But 98% of the time, it's not seen on TV. It's a completely different situation than kids learning the game and dealing with adults.

IDK, but it seems odd to me that teams would pay millions of dollars to hire coaches if they could just simply leave it to the players. I don't really know how it works with the head coach and the coaches who handle offense, defense and whatever other assistant coaches there are, but seems to me that especially when you're in the pressure cooker of game day under the ultra high heat of SB no less that it wouldn't be the ultimate time for coaches to give the strategy to the players, watch what's happening when they attempt to execute, get feedback from the players to the assistants for any extra insights possible and adjust plans accordingly.

What happens when the QB sees it one way, receivers another, and linemen yet another? Isn't that why hierarchy is important?

I agree. There is no situation, ever, that a player should do what Kelce did. Kelce is a great player, but there is no excuse for that ...definitely shows the lack of respect he has for his coach unfortunately. And Andy Reid KNOWS IT. The last time I remember actually watching anything like that remotely similar was when Pedro dismissed Don Zimmer -but he was on the opposing team! 😂

And he absolutely owes an apology to the public. He gets paid lots of money to do his job which is play a game he loves professionally which heavily relies on fans...many of them impressionable youth who look up to these ppl. The behavior was disgusting and unfortunately public, so a public apology is appropriate.

I am not into sports, but it’s been hard to avoid photos and reports about what happened. I could understand raising your voice in the heat of the moment, but it’s never okay to touch someone without their consent. Period. If Kelce is the person that he has been presented as, he should be man enough to apologize to the coach and his fans, and there should be some sort of punishment or fine as consequences for his actions. To do anything less sends the message that this is acceptable behavior.

I am not into sports, but it’s been hard to avoid photos and reports about what happened. I could understand raising your voice in the heat of the moment, but it’s never okay to touch someone without their consent. Period. If Kelce is the person that he has been presented as, he should be man enough to apologize to the coach and his fans, and there should be some sort of punishment or fine as consequences for his actions. To do anything less sends the message that this is acceptable behavior.
He did apologize to Reid.

He did apologize to Reid.
I am glad to hear that. As I said, I haven’t been seeking information, only reading what happens to show up in my various feeds. The fact that he did apologize to Reid obviously isn’t of as much interest to the algorithms as the initial blow up, which is a shame. Has he apologized to his fans as well?

IDK, but it seems odd to me that teams would pay millions of dollars to hire coaches if they could just simply leave it to the players. I don't really know how it works with the head coach and the coaches who handle offense, defense and whatever other assistant coaches there are, but seems to me that especially when you're in the pressure cooker of game day under the ultra high heat of SB no less that it wouldn't be the ultimate time for coaches to give the strategy to the players, watch what's happening when they attempt to execute, get feedback from the players to the assistants for any extra insights possible and adjust plans accordingly.

What happens when the QB sees it one way, receivers another, and linemen yet another? Isn't that why hierarchy is important?
Players still follow the coach's playcalls, which Kelce was doing. But a coach also isn't this infallible figure who can do anything without judgement or feedback. Kelce was voicing his opinion of the game so far. The idea that you have to hide your opinions from a coach who has never done your job at the level you currently are isn't good for a team.

I feel like a lot of the pushback is because of the yelling and getting in his face. This is just how football players communicate. Coaches yell, players yell, officials yell, everyone does it. I'd rather see than intensity than someone who is content with losing.

Players still follow the coach's playcalls, which Kelce was doing. But a coach also isn't this infallible figure who can do anything without judgement or feedback. Kelce was voicing his opinion of the game so far. The idea that you have to hide your opinions from a coach who has never done your job at the level you currently are isn't good for a team.

I feel like a lot of the pushback is because of the yelling and getting in his face. This is just how football players communicate. Coaches yell, players yell, officials yell, everyone does it. I'd rather see than intensity than someone who is content with losing.
If that can be chalked up as beneficial feedback for the team and to be expected it's curious that it's garnering the attention and discussion of an extraordinary occurrence. I don't really understand the intricacies of football, nor do I really know much about the two people involved here, but I don't think all of the conversation about this incident can be credited to the Swift mania.

Sidelines would be complete mayhem if this was truly representative of the way things work. Just doesn't hold water for me.

I think there are a lot of people who never watch professional sports who are appalled, but for those of us that do, this was just common place. Coaches scream at players, players scream at players, both scream at refs. Please don't watch hockey, they fight!

It was caught on camera and then shown several times in slow motion. Had it not been Kelce, we probably would have never seen it. I saw other players yelling at other coaches during the game, it just doesn't get the attention. Tom Brady was once caught telling a coach of another team to go F himself. His response, "it's football". Reid said he apologized, it's between them.

If that can be chalked up as beneficial feedback for the team and to be expected it's curious that it's garnering the attention and discussion of an extraordinary occurrence. I don't really understand the intricacies of football, nor do I really know much about the two people involved here, but I don't think all of the conversation about this incident can be credited to the Swift mania.

Sidelines would be complete mayhem if this was truly representative of the way things work. Just doesn't hold water for me.
Let's just say there's a reason they don't mic up players on the field. You'd have to bleep out a lot of what is said.

Of course it's not all yelling. Guys will talk to each other normally too. But over the course of a 3 hour game, you'll see at least 3 or 4 "incidents" like we saw on Sunday between coaches or players.

Let's just say there's a reason they don't mic up players on the field. You'd have to bleep out a lot of what is said.

Of course it's not all yelling. Guys will talk to each other normally too. But over the course of a 3 hour game, you'll see at least 3 or 4 "incidents" like we saw on Sunday between coaches or players.
Watch "Quarterback" on Netflix and you'll get an earful (or 10) ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter