• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sunscreen?

tinkerbell615

DIS Veteran
I don't know if this is the correct place for this or not, but figured I would start here.

We are visiting WDW at the end of June/beginning of July. Can you all tell me what type of sunscreen you would recommend using when spending the hot afternoons in the parks? It is already so hot and humid at that time that sometimes I am reluctant to use sunscreen because it makes you so sticky and blocks your pores from breathing. I do, however, need to keep from burning. I have extremely fair skin and don't want to look like a lobster. We will also have a two year old with us this year and would appreciate recommendations for him also.

Thanks!

I believe the latest is 30SPF is the best anything above that is pointless ~ or so my dermatologist says. Also can damage you skin.

So we use the spray/mist kind from Target. Love it because it is light and cool.

Oh you WILL need suncreen in June in FL. The FL sun can be brutal. Put in on in the AM before your leave for the parks and reapply as needed during the day.

For your little one, I recommend water babies (the pink bottle). I STILL use that on DD6 (almost 7). I just find that it works best. We are out in the sun a lot, hang at the pool all summer and she has never burned. She does brown very easy however like her mama :goodvibes.I use the stick on her face AND on her scalp!!!! Be sure to coat her ears and the tops of her feet as well.

For you, get a high SPF in any brand. I personally like Coppertone products (don't know why, just do) and definately use it on your face, ears, scalp, tops of feet, etc.

Lots of people may recommend the kind that spray. Personally, I see more stuff flying off into the air (and they're expensive cans) than I see actually get on people, but to each his own. The stuff is lighter on your skin if you are that concerned with feeling sticky :confused3.

I guess I'm just old school and stick with lotion!

I don't know if this is the correct place for this or not, but figured I would start here.

We are visiting WDW at the end of June/beginning of July. Can you all tell me what type of sunscreen you would recommend using when spending the hot afternoons in the parks? It is already so hot and humid at that time that sometimes I am reluctant to use sunscreen because it makes you so sticky and blocks your pores from breathing. I do, however, need to keep from burning. I have extremely fair skin and don't want to look like a lobster. We will also have a two year old with us this year and would appreciate recommendations for him also.

Thanks!

I am a big believer in the Neutrogena Sun Protection products.
They are non-greasy and Dermatologist recommended.
Here's a link. http://www.neutrogena.com/econsumer...ltra-sheer-dry-touch-sunblock-spf-55-&-70.jsp

Oh you WILL need suncreen in June in FL. The FL sun can be brutal. Put in on in the AM before your leave for the parks and reapply as needed during the day.

For your little one, I recommend water babies (the pink bottle). I STILL use that on DD6 (almost 7). I just find that it works best. We are out in the sun a lot, hang at the pool all summer and she has never burned. She does brown very easy however like her mama :goodvibes.I use the stick on her face AND on her scalp!!!! Be sure to coat her ears and the tops of her feet as well.

For you, get a high SPF in any brand. I personally like Coppertone products (don't know why, just do) and definately use it on your face, ears, scalp, tops of feet, etc.

Lots of people may recommend the kind that spray. Personally, I see more stuff flying off into the air (and they're expensive cans) than I see actually get on people, but to each his own. The stuff is lighter on your skin if you are that concerned with feeling sticky :confused3.

I guess I'm just old school and stick with lotion!
I use water babies on me & I am 53! That is the only one I can use, I break out in red bumps from all the others, no matter how expensive or cheap they are.

I like the continuous SPRAY, no rub kind. It provides good coverage and you don't have to rub it all over the kids. I just bought some from Target, Banana Boat SPF 70 (yellow can) and Coppertone 55 (blue can). You will need sunscreen in FL almost all year round.

I love bullfrog sunscreen-and water babies is great too. I read something the other day that it takes up to 30 minutes for it to start working so put it on early and reapply often!

Neutrogena makes great sunscreens for face and body. I have SUPER oily skin and the neutrogena dry touch sunblock is one of the only sunscreens I can use on my face without an oil slick.

In terms of body, any sun screen spray would be fine. They're just easier and leave no mess or greasy hands behind. Brand name or generic; it's your choice!

We used the Coppertone spray mist. Two of my kids burn very easily. We used SPF 50 or above by a recommendation of our doctor and they don't burn at all in the summer. I did learn one thing though. My kids had birthday buttons and the names kept coming off. A CM told us that sunscreen causes any writing on the buttons to rub right off. So if you are going to wear any buttons with writing on them take a piece of clear tape and put it over the names. This was the tip that the CM gave us and it worked. Something in sunscreen causes the sharpie markers to rub right off.

Whatever kind you choose, bring enough to get you thru the day. We have run out before, and it is around $14 a bottle to buy it in the parks.

I am from UK and very pale skinned with red hair so I burn very easily. I used the water babies 50+ (in pink bottle) and did not burn at all when we went to Blizzard Beach. For everyday I use Boots Soltan (don't think available in USA) and they do small pouches which are great to take to the parks rather than a big bottle.

http://www.boots.com/en/Soltan-Takeaway-Lotion-SPF-50-75ml_35571/

Not sure if you can get anything like that but they are great. Also I find their range doesn't give me a rash, I have PMLA which affects my hands and only 50+ prevents an outbreak.

We all use the California Baby SPF 30 sunscreen. And, hats.

i have super super fair skin and i was really afraid of burning last year in july. i applied coppertone kids spf 50 in the morning in my hotel room and it lasted all day! i did not get burnt at all. i was shocked! (now i didn't use the pool but i would've reapplied if i did or went to a water park) since so many rides were indoors and the lines to rides are covered i really felt like i did well staying out of the sun. i filled a small travel bottle with sunscreen and brought it in my bag to the parks all day but i don't remember having to reapply at all.

We used the Coppertone spray mist. Two of my kids burn very easily. We used SPF 50 or above by a recommendation of our doctor and they don't burn at all in the summer. I did learn one thing though. My kids had birthday buttons and the names kept coming off. A CM told us that sunscreen causes any writing on the buttons to rub right off. So if you are going to wear any buttons with writing on them take a piece of clear tape and put it over the names. This was the tip that the CM gave us and it worked. Something in sunscreen causes the sharpie markers to rub right off.

yes! this happened to me too and i was using coppertone spf 50 also.

I've lived in FL my whole life and burn almost instantly.

I LOVE Bullfrog Sunscreen. I usually buy what they call "Superblock"- it's SPF 50 and works amazing!! It's hypoallergenic, water proof, and doesn't clog my pores.
http://www.bullfrogsunblock.com/super.html

Have a great trip!

I am a "cool whip color" fair skinned red head. Every morning right after my shower, I would apply Coppertone Sport spf 50 (blue bottle), just like I would my normal everyday lotion. I was always the first up, so by the time everyone was ready to head out, it was sufficiently absorbed into my skin. I never felt sticky or greasy, and I never burned. I also never had to reapply, even getting drenched on Splash. I carried it with us just in case...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter