Sun, Shopping, Sand, Surf, Sweat & Shamu: A Splashin Summertime Sabbatical at SVR!

Thanks ZehnJahren. I read in your PTR about your tough year thus far....so sorry to hear about all your difficulties and loss. How is your cat, BTW?

You and your mom's trip sounds absolutely marvelous! I wish I could get my mom to travel with us to Orlando. She would have a ball there....but she steadfastly refuses to fly (or leave her beloved feline at home). What special time for you and your mother to share together.

I had never even heard of the Sea Bands until your post, but I looked them up and they sound AWESOME! They are only about $15 too, so well worth a try at such an affordable price point. Methinks I will be ordering one to see if it works for me. Thank you so much for the tip!!! :thumbsup2

I hope the Sea Bands help a little! I always felt like they did help me, but you always wonder if it's placebo. Who cares if it IS placebo, if they help!

Thanks for asking about the cat - he's doing GREAT! Great, great, great! He's 100% his old self, running around and meowing my ear off. To be honest, it hasn't been too tough a year. I mean, yes some tough things have happened but I'm so blessed to be alive and to be employed and to have my family and to be healthy. I can't complain; even through loss, I have been given so much. :angel:

I feel so lucky to be close to my mom, and that we like to spend time together. If something would happen to close down our trip between now and October, we still would have so many happy memories!

50! goodness!

I can relate about flying...not to throwing up all over the states though. :rotfl:

I am more scared Im either A) getting highjacked, B) going to crash and be dead, C) getting highjacked and crashing. I try to tell myself that Im ridiculous. It doesn't help.

I tried copious amounts of alcohol and then I was scared AND nauseous. So we drive.

Excited to join in on your report. My family is doing Universal, Discovery Cove, SeaWorld & Aquatica in Oct. so I will be following your TR with lots of interest!

I hope the Sea Bands help a little! I always felt like they did help me, but you always wonder if it's placebo. Who cares if it IS placebo, if they help!

Agreed :thumbsup2 . Told Steve and Jake about them last night, and even they want a pair to use (which surprises me....I thought for sure they would pooh-pooh them away as being, as you suggested, a placebo). The reviews are staggeringly good. I read a whole bunch more last night, and I am sold.

50! goodness!

I can relate about flying...not to throwing up all over the states though. :rotfl:

I am more scared Im either A) getting highjacked, B) going to crash and be dead, C) getting highjacked and crashing. I try to tell myself that Im ridiculous. It doesn't help.

I tried copious amounts of alcohol and then I was scared AND nauseous. So we drive.

News stories like the one yesterday about the Malaysian airliner being shot down sure dont help my nerves, either :sad2: .

Excited to join in on your report. My family is doing Universal, Discovery Cove, SeaWorld & Aquatica in Oct. so I will be following your TR with lots of interest!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for joining in :goodvibes .

I admire your dedication to putting those resort-relaxation days on your schedule! I always say I'm going to do that, but never do.

I love Jetblue as well. Unfortunately, we end up with United miles from my DH's work travel. Not that I'm complaining about free miles, but, man, how I hate United.

Did you try Dramamine for flying? I give that to my kids (the kids version) after a few incidents that I'd rather forget!

I admire your dedication to putting those resort-relaxation days on your schedule! I always say I'm going to do that, but never do.

I love Jetblue as well. Unfortunately, we end up with United miles from my DH's work travel. Not that I'm complaining about free miles, but, man, how I hate United.

Did you try Dramamine for flying? I give that to my kids (the kids version) after a few incidents that I'd rather forget!

Is Dramamine the same as Gravol? Gravol (or the generic "anti-nauseant") is about all that's available here in Canada. I hear alot of the American Disers chatting about Dramamine, though, so I know it must be good. Perhaps I should visit the health & beauty aisle in Walmart while we're in Orlando and pick myself up a supply :scratchin: .

We have been giving a lot of thought over the last few days to our dining plans while in Orlando. This trip is going to be a little different from the others in the sense that we don’t plan to eat out for every single meal. While we love eating out (especially in the USA, where they have all the great chains that we see on TV but don’t have here at home), I can tell you with 100% certainly that my digestive system just could not handle 15 straight days of restaurant food for 3 meals a day. Even by the end of our last 8-day trip, we had reached our limit on restaurant food, and wished we had taken advantage of that gorgeous kitchen in our villa and did some cooking “at home”.

This trip, it shall be done. Not all the time, but at least some of the time. :thumbsup2

We will enjoy the all-day dining at SeaWorld & Aquatica at least one day each. And Discovery Cove includes all of our food for that day (with the exception of dinner, which we probably won’t want anyway…….it will be a good night for an 11 pm frozen pizza if the troops are feeling peckish after an evening of karaoke at the pool). We have our meal and mini golf at CityWalk (the fellows have picked Nascar......while they love NBA City, they want to try something new) so that one is set in stone. But after that, we’re pretty flexible. With the exception of our DC, SW and check-out days, all of our breakfasts will be in the villa. That should start us off on a better foot right there…..enormous breakfasts (while delicious at the time) generally set the stage for an upset tummy later in the day. I expect we will eat lunch at least 4 or 5 times at the villa and probably at least 4 dinners (plus a couple of more dinners brought in….like Giordano’s….to be enjoyed on the balcony or while we watch a movie in the evening).

So this trip will involve some fairly substantial grocery shopping, much more so than just a couple of cases of bottled water and some snacks. I want some good healthy stuff to enjoy, particularly some fresh fruits (Sweetie is a smoothie making expert….she has pledged to create us an amazing breakfast drink on a daily basis….I am counting on the SVR villas to have a blender). I adore the fresh fruits that are readily available in Orlando. Last year we bought peaches that were the size of grapefruits. They were huge. And soooo good. (of course, they gave Steve an awful allergic reaction that sent us scrambling for all the Benadryl they had in stock at the Vistana’s Marketplace….but other than that, they were fantastic! :rolleyes1)

I am conflicted on what to do for our Typhoon Lagoon day. Last summer, we found their quick service to be underwhelming at best. I could pack a picnic quite easily but then I have to worry about keeping stuff cold. I still have to give that meal more thought.

We always try to add at least one new place to our restaurant wish-list. Usually its somewhere that another Diser has raved about and we’ve filed away in the back of our memory to give a try on the next available opportunity. This trip it will probably be Millers Ale House……it looks like its worthy of a go. Our problem is trying to squeeze in the “new” among the faves. Jake wants to introduce Sweetie to all of his go-to places from previous trips. That’s going to be hard to do, even in two weeks. Good thing we are doing a lot of swimming and walking on this vacation……at this rate, I may have to use one of the Vistana fitness centers to help battle the bulge :crazy2:.

One odd tradition that will continue, I'm virtually certain, is the annual fried cheese stretching. I am not sure how it happened, or why it ever began, but its become our "thing". So far, TGI Friday's is winning the stretchability test, but who the reining family champ is is up for debate:

We have already purchased our Tim Hortons coffee packets, so the most important item can be crossed off the list. It took me a couple of places before I found one that would sell us the pre-measured packets vs. the large can, but we were eventually successful. Nothing starts my morning off better than a Tim Hortons Double Double and this view:

29 days and counting!

Yep, we like to eat out, but even on vacation, I like to have just plain home cooked food. We won't have a kitchen anywhere, but I plan to use the microwave in the food court at the YC/BC. And for that cheese, last night we fried up some cheese sticks from a TGIF box from the grocery store. Even at home, we like stretching the cheese.

I never heard of Gravol. I use Bonine, well the generic of it from my doctor. It's similar to Dramamine. Slightly different drugs. I can use either. Some don't like them because they make you sleepy and should not consume much alcohol after you take it. I have to take one pill at least an hour before I fly or do the rides. Sometimes I take 2. I've never been sleepy with using them. They can't be too terrible, as I asked my doctor, when I was pregnant, if I could use Bonine, and I could. I am surprised neither drug is available in Canada. You'll most likely find it in the aisle with drugs for headaches, and colds.

I hope you can find whatever helps with your motion sickness in the plane.

Ahh, it's very sunny and in the 80's today. Getting us ready for the Florida sun. We'll be checking out the beach the next 2 days, DD is playing soccer in the sand down the shore (New Jersey beach).

We plan on cooking too. We are definitely pretty clean eaters, so we don't necessarily eat out often in our everyday lives. The only time I eat fried food is at WDW!

I can second Miller's Ale House! Two trips ago we had a car and I think we went to Miller's twice. My mom had the salmon; I had grilled chicken and broccoli. Both of us really enjoyed both the food and the price!

29 days is so soon!!! :hyper:

Yep, we like to eat out, but even on vacation, I like to have just plain home cooked food. We won't have a kitchen anywhere, but I plan to use the microwave in the food court at the YC/BC. And for that cheese, last night we fried up some cheese sticks from a TGIF box from the grocery store. Even at home, we like stretching the cheese.

I never heard of Gravol. I use Bonine, well the generic of it from my doctor. It's similar to Dramamine. Slightly different drugs. I can use either. Some don't like them because they make you sleepy and should not consume much alcohol after you take it. I have to take one pill at least an hour before I fly or do the rides. Sometimes I take 2. I've never been sleepy with using them. They can't be too terrible, as I asked my doctor, when I was pregnant, if I could use Bonine, and I could. I am surprised neither drug is available in Canada. You'll most likely find it in the aisle with drugs for headaches, and colds.

I hope you can find whatever helps with your motion sickness in the plane.

Ahh, it's very sunny and in the 80's today. Getting us ready for the Florida sun. We'll be checking out the beach the next 2 days, DD is playing soccer in the sand down the shore (New Jersey beach).

So I did some research, and Gravol appears to have the same medicinal ingredients at Dramamine. Bonine is somewhat different (and it says it makes you less sleeping than Dramamine....which is a good thing on vacation :thumbsup2). I will have to keep my eyes out for that when we do our customary Walmart run.

You sound like you have a fun weekend planned! I will be shopping and housecleaning tomorrow, and then we will be at Steve's uncle's visitation on Sunday.....soccer at the shore sounds SO much better!. As for the weather, I am happy to say while we started out at 12 degrees celcius this morning, its supposed to warm up to 25 today (77 F) and even a little warmer on the weekend, with sunshine and lots of humidity to make the feels-like temperature in the low 90's. That's exactly what we need (not what my electrical bill needs, mind you, but its what WE need!).

We plan on cooking too. We are definitely pretty clean eaters, so we don't necessarily eat out often in our everyday lives. The only time I eat fried food is at WDW!

I can second Miller's Ale House! Two trips ago we had a car and I think we went to Miller's twice. My mom had the salmon; I had grilled chicken and broccoli. Both of us really enjoyed both the food and the price!

29 days is so soon!!! :hyper:

What's the "ambiance" like at Millers, ZehnJahren? Relaxed? I get the feeling its not something we need to dress up for (hoping its pretty casual!). I am glad to hear yet another positive review on the meal quality there. I am sure it will be one of those places where we end up saying "why didn't we give this place a try before now???" :goodvibes .

We eat in, too, many meals. Our place has a community grill so we grill chicken tenders, etc. This year we are having frozen pizza on our arrival night (10pm!) and I have planned for fajitas one night. We don't eat lunch in but do do breakfast.

By the way, our lonely only gradduated high school this year too. He turns 18 in August. This is our 2nd trip with his Sweetie. Like I said in an earlier post, I love having a girl along!
Lori

Just catching up with your thread. Lots of similarities between our trip. Will be myself, husband and son, only 13 though but will be celebrating his birthday while we are there on 12th August. Our dates are 6th to 30th. 4 nights at Tradewinds St Pete Beach and the rest of the time at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (6th visit). Visiting all the parks you are plus a few more, was meant to be a more relaxed trip but got a bit carried away so now also have 14 day Disney Ultimate tickets, DC, BG, SW, AQ, Universal, Legoland (got those free with Universal).
We love mini golf but haven't played at Universal. Is that a meal deal you have booked? We are staying one night at universal hotel, not checking out of BC, just so we can have their fast pass.. We do have mini golf included on our Disney ticket though..
We have also upgraded our seats on the plane. We always use to fly Virgin Premium Economy but from last year prices were crazy £1300 (not $) from London and that was only economy, the year before we paid £800 Premium Economy both ways. So last year went indirect with Delta and was ver impressed with their economy comfort.. This year booked with American and upgradeD to their version, think it's main cabin extra. We have front row so no one putting their seats back on us..
We might have a few meals in our villa but we like to eat our main meal out. Very rarely go to more than one restaurant a day. Our favourite restaurants are Longhornes, Lonestar, Cheesecake Factory, Toojays. We always try at least one new one each year. We quite often take bagels to the parks for lunch as we really don't like the counter service meals. I agree with you about Typhoon Lagoon, food is pretty bad. Last year we stopped at Earl of Sandwich across the road in DTD and took that in with us, delicious.
So looking forward to reading more. This is first year we will have an I Pad ( son Xmas present last year) so might even be able to post a few things myself,although not usually very organised!

Hi Gina you know I will follow your trip report! We are big fans of Vistana twin resorts. This past March at the Villages I made use of resorts gas BBQ grills that are located around the buildings( do not remember if SVR has these as well) did some chicken and veggies which was nice!

What's the "ambiance" like at Millers, ZehnJahren? Relaxed? I get the feeling its not something we need to dress up for (hoping its pretty casual!). I am glad to hear yet another positive review on the meal quality there. I am sure it will be one of those places where we end up saying "why didn't we give this place a try before now???" :goodvibes .

It's definitely casual. We went in our park clothes, straight from Epcot one day! I had the chicken both times; but mom and I both love broccoli (I always go get it as a snack from CHH at MK!!) and they had some great broccoli there so we went back for that. We'll go this time for the broccoli too! :thumbsup2

It's pretty standard fare, but the prices are so much lower than eating in the parks it's like getting food for free! ha!

Your DH went to NCC? That's so awesome! Jake will be impressed to know there's another Crusader with a tie to the Disboards :thumbsup2 . Did he play basketball? (lol.....as you probably already know, that's Nicholson's claim to fame)

You made me LOL about your Mom :rotfl2: . I was thinking about what it would be like if we could ever convince MY mom to go :scratchin ....which she won't, because she's terrified to fly (heck, she's terrifed to have ME fly!). She's the ultimate early bird....she'd have our butts up and out of bed and at the airport with an hour to spare :lmao: . lol, that gives me an idea. Perhaps I should have Nanny provide us with the wake-up call rather than the front desk!

Do PM me if you are ever going to be in town (for soccer or otherwise) and want to meet up. Coffee will be on me :thumbsup2 .

He was a hooker.. in rugby, LOL!! He said he was too short for basketball. :lmao: I WILL PM you the next time I am in town! :upsidedow

And by the way......WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH THIS WEATHER????

It was 10 degrees Celcius when I got up this morning. 10.

That's 50 degrees farenheit for my American friends. And its the middle of July. :rolleyes2

The adjustment to the Orlando temperatuers is going to kill us this year :faint: .

I KNOW!!!! I had the seat warmer on in the truck this morning! :crazy2:

Bonamine used to be available in Canada (called Bonine in the US) , but they took it off the market about 4 years ago. I work in pharmacy, it was really annoying at the time because so many people were upset about it. Have you ever tried ginger gravol? I haven't ,but I'm going to take some with us to try at Universal for the rides. I've heard a lot of positive feedback on the sea bands also, I couldn't decide between the two, you will have to let me know how the sea bands work for you.

Gina - I'm glad I found you!
I hope I can find this again. :)
I feel like I'm getting to know you better after all your help!

I should have done a trip report on this page (wherever I am that is...) since OUR 2 week offsite vacation covered such a smattering of things!

So - are you doing to give BGT a try? ;)

From Kingston to RCO is 3.5 hours I'd say.
Are you driving thru Roc to get to Syr? Was it cheaper Syr than Roc?

We eat in, too, many meals. Our place has a community grill so we grill chicken tenders, etc. This year we are having frozen pizza on our arrival night (10pm!) and I have planned for fajitas one night. We don't eat lunch in but do do breakfast.

By the way, our lonely only gradduated high school this year too. He turns 18 in August. This is our 2nd trip with his Sweetie. Like I said in an earlier post, I love having a girl along!
Lori

Congrats to your DS on his grad! Is he heading off to post-secondary studies in the fall?

I get mixed responses from people when they hear that Sweetie is joining us on this getaway. lol....it seems some folks feel they need give their opinion, solicited or not :rolleyes: . I think it will be a very positive experience....she's a good kid (otherwise we never would have asked her to come along in the first place!). Its nice to hear that others have had positive experiences, too...and are willing to make the same decision a second time! :thumbsup2

Just catching up with your thread. Lots of similarities between our trip. Will be myself, husband and son, only 13 though but will be celebrating his birthday while we are there on 12th August. Our dates are 6th to 30th. 4 nights at Tradewinds St Pete Beach and the rest of the time at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (6th visit). Visiting all the parks you are plus a few more, was meant to be a more relaxed trip but got a bit carried away so now also have 14 day Disney Ultimate tickets, DC, BG, SW, AQ, Universal, Legoland (got those free with Universal).
We love mini golf but haven't played at Universal. Is that a meal deal you have booked? We are staying one night at universal hotel, not checking out of BC, just so we can have their fast pass.. We do have mini golf included on our Disney ticket though..
We have also upgraded our seats on the plane. We always use to fly Virgin Premium Economy but from last year prices were crazy £1300 (not $) from London and that was only economy, the year before we paid £800 Premium Economy both ways. So last year went indirect with Delta and was ver impressed with their economy comfort.. This year booked with American and upgradeD to their version, think it's main cabin extra. We have front row so no one putting their seats back on us..
We might have a few meals in our villa but we like to eat our main meal out. Very rarely go to more than one restaurant a day. Our favourite restaurants are Longhornes, Lonestar, Cheesecake Factory, Toojays. We always try at least one new one each year. We quite often take bagels to the parks for lunch as we really don't like the counter service meals. I agree with you about Typhoon Lagoon, food is pretty bad. Last year we stopped at Earl of Sandwich across the road in DTD and took that in with us, delicious.
So looking forward to reading more. This is first year we will have an I Pad ( son Xmas present last year) so might even be able to post a few things myself,although not usually very organised!

Welcome aboard! Thanks for joining in! Definitely put that iPad to good use, and keep me updated on your travels. We can compare notes :) .

Earl of Sandwich is a GREAT idea for our TL day! :thumbsup2 I may have to steal it! (the idea, not the food :rotfl:)

Hi Gina you know I will follow your trip report! We are big fans of Vistana twin resorts. This past March at the Villages I made use of resorts gas BBQ grills that are located around the buildings( do not remember if SVR has these as well) did some chicken and veggies which was nice!

Hi ya grantclaire, glad you came over to join us! Vistana lovers are especially welcome :goodvibes .

I know there are grills at SVR too, with some being gas and others being charcoal. I would LOVE to be near one of the gas barbecues, but we'll make do with the charcoal if need be. We hope to do some simple things for our resort day lunches, like grilled burgers and hotdogs.

It's definitely casual. We went in our park clothes, straight from Epcot one day! I had the chicken both times; but mom and I both love broccoli (I always go get it as a snack from CHH at MK!!) and they had some great broccoli there so we went back for that. We'll go this time for the broccoli too! :thumbsup2

It's pretty standard fare, but the prices are so much lower than eating in the parks it's like getting food for free! ha!

We are always amazed at the low prices of dining out in Orlando (offsite, not at Disney!!). Compared to what we pay back home, the prices are steal. Then add in the fact that we pay 13% tax here and only 6.5% in Orlando, and the difference is HUGE!

He was a hooker.. in rugby, LOL!! He said he was too short for basketball. :lmao: I WILL PM you the next time I am in town! :upsidedow

I KNOW!!!! I had the seat warmer on in the truck this morning! :crazy2:

Bonamine used to be available in Canada (called Bonine in the US) , but they took it off the market about 4 years ago. I work in pharmacy, it was really annoying at the time because so many people were upset about it. Have you ever tried ginger gravol? I haven't ,but I'm going to take some with us to try at Universal for the rides. I've heard a lot of positive feedback on the sea bands also, I couldn't decide between the two, you will have to let me know how the sea bands work for you.

Just out of curiosity, any idea why they took Bonamine off the market? Did they deem it a health hazard for some reason?

subbing in :goodvibes

Welcome, welcome! Thanks for joining in! :goodvibes

Gina - I'm glad I found you!
I hope I can find this again. :)
I feel like I'm getting to know you better after all your help!

I should have done a trip report on this page (wherever I am that is...) since OUR 2 week offsite vacation covered such a smattering of things!

So - are you doing to give BGT a try? ;)

The jury is still out on BG. We are keeping it open as an option....perhaps toward the end of our vacay, once we have done all the other stuff we already have planned and paid for. We haven't rule it in, but we also haven't ruled it out!

From Kingston to RCO is 3.5 hours I'd say.
Are you driving thru Roc to get to Syr? Was it cheaper Syr than Roc?

Nope, we drive through Kingston, Gananoque, cross the border at the 1000 Islands/Alexandria Bay, then on to Syracuse from there. Its about 3 hours (sometimes a little less, if we're lucky) for us from home, including the stop at the border and a bathroom break or two along the way.

28 days to go!

4 weeks from this morning, I'll be circling the house like whirling dervish, trying to do the last minute cleaning, packing and laundry so we can depart for Syracuse early afternoon.

4 weeks :eek:. Its hard to believe! My ticker started at 10 and half months, and at that time, it seemed so far away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter