Summer Vacation Plans? NH or PA?

happily single

Left foot first!
So after a successful roadtrip to Orlando for April vacation I am ready to try again for summer vacation! My first thought was Hershey Park for 2 days then maybe amish country (more for me and to show the kids how spoiled they are:rotfl:):rotfl::rotfl:...but my favorite place in the World (gasp) New Hampshire is calling me. I have never spent a summer vacation in the White Mountains. We normally visit Spring and Fall.

So, which would you prefer? Hershey Park for 2 days or NH to do Storyland, Santa's VIllage, Lost River and a water park?

Also, does anyone know if they still sell the combo ticket for NH? It was about $250 but included 1 or 2 admissions to about a dozen attractions.

The website below has info on the value pass. It covers 2 adult tickets to lots of attractions in the white mountains.

http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/things-to-do/attractions/attraction-pass.aspx

We just returned from a week of camping in Lancaster, NH and had a wonderful time. Warm days and kind of chilly nights for sure! Mountain Lake campground and cabins was a great spot. We were an hour from Storyland, 10 minutes from Santa's Village and 30 minutes from Franconia State Park.

Polly's Pancake Parlor in Sugar Hill had an amazing breakfast that was the highlight of my son's trip. We also ventured over to Vermont on a rainy day and did tours of the Cabot creamery in Cabot and Ben and Jerry's in Burlington.

I love New England in the summer.:)

Have a great trip whichever you decide.

Ahhh*sigh*I say New England anytime!! The White Mountain area has things to offer year round. Don't know much about PA but love NH:goodvibes

Another vote for NH! I love the White Mountains. I don't know how old your kids are but there is a booklet you can buy from www.breathenh.org for $25. It offers free or reduce admission prices to children 12 and under with a paying adult. It's $26.99 to get into Storyland so the booklet would already pay for itself.

I love Lake Winnipesaukee in the summer,lots going on down at Weir's Beach and in that area...My all time favorite is to take a ride on a "Mail Boat" that leaves a few different times during the day from Weir's Beach as it goes around to the different islands delivering their mail. About a 2-2 1/2 hr. ride , if I remember correctly.

Also , Kellerhaus ...ice cream buffet is fun for the kids...make your own sundaes !:thumbsup2

I think I would say PA just because I live 10 minutes from Storyland! So the more people who visit, the worse the traffic is for me! But it really is a great area in the summer. Besides the attractions you mentioned, there are lakes and rivers for swimming. Take a hike to a waterfall. Or my daughter works at the Alpine Slide at Mt. Attitash. That is really a lot of fun. They have water slides there as well and in August the new Mountain Coaster is opening.

I live 15 minutes from Hershey and I even have to say that NH sounds great! Hershey is great but unless you are willing to drive a bit it will be hard to beat the natural surroundings of NH.

Not sure how long you are shooting for, but Hershey can entertain for two days, Amish Country and Dutch Wonderland (for little kiddies) for another two days as well. Also, the spa at the Hershey Hotel is beyond compare, and you have full access to spa facilities regardless of the price/how many treatments you get.

Finally - I would recommend coming during the week - the traffic is crazy in Hershey!

We are fans of the White Mountains as well. We have been taking our children every summer for the past 8 years! We spend 5 days and 4 nights at a condo offered on VRBO we highly reccommend (let me know if you're looking). My kids LOVE the family atmosphere appropriate for kids of all ages. From amusement parks to hiking - the White Mountains offers it all!

We are fans of the White Mountains as well. We have been taking our children every summer for the past 8 years! We spend 5 days and 4 nights at a condo offered on VRBO we highly reccommend (let me know if you're looking). My kids LOVE the family atmosphere appropriate for kids of all ages. From amusement parks to hiking - the White Mountains offers it all!

I've never thought of using VRBO. Can you poijnt in the right direction? Although, I was thinking of checking out the North Colony Motel (I think). It has very good reviews on Trip Advisor, an outdoor pool and some really neat looking tree houses. We are more accustomed to staying at Disney Mod's or when not in Disney:scared1: Marriot, Sheraton, Wyndam. So I'm thinking that a small family owned motel would be a nice change to go along with the rustic charm of NOrth Conway (PS We usually stay at Attitash Mountain Village, but its really the luck of the draw with the unit)

I've never thought of using VRBO. Can you poijnt in the right direction? Although, I was thinking of checking out the North Colony Motel (I think). It has very good reviews on Trip Advisor, an outdoor pool and some really neat looking tree houses. We are more accustomed to staying at Disney Mod's or when not in Disney:scared1: Marriot, Sheraton, Wyndam. So I'm thinking that a small family owned motel would be a nice change to go along with the rustic charm of NOrth Conway (PS We usually stay at Attitash Mountain Village, but its really the luck of the draw with the unit)

I drive by the North Colony when I go to work and the playground for the kids always looks so great. It is a little north of Attitash. Still not far to drive to all the attractions. I am not sure about the rooms but they are generally pretty busy so they must be getting repeat business. The place always looks very well kept up.

I vote for Hershey Park! You can check out the outlets in addition to Lancaster.
P.S. Hello from NY! I went to college in RI and loved it there-- I also used to travel there quite a bit for work. I just started a new job, but I almost got trapped in Narragansett because of the floods earlier this year! Scary not being able to get to 95-S!

I vote for Storyland!! (we'll be there next week ourselves) I just love it in the White Mountains..we did Hershey last year, had a great time, but the scenery in the mountains is unbeatable.

I'm from PA so I vote NH! It has to be a little cooler up there - PA can be hot as Hades in summer. We're looking at highs of 98 and 100% humidity for several days next week - ugh - NH sounds divine right about now!

We go to NH every year love it. Stay just outside of Conway. The ride won't be bad from where you are.

I have been both places, but I vote for NH! As a matter of fact, I posted a great review on Trip Advisor about the North Colony Motel, so feel free to PM me if you want more info. Its a terrific family run motel, and the kids loved it.

How old are your kids? That may help in your decision as well.

We bought the value pass last year, and really used the entire thing. It is very cost effective.

This is the 1st summer in years that we are not going to NH, and this post made me want to book a trip there!

This is funny. We have a TS at Attitash Grand Summit, which we love. I read a couple of posts on here that mentioned the North Colony Motel. I thought that I knew most of the motels in the area, but I couldn't think of where this one was. I went to their website and realized that it is the motel right near our home resort. I have always thought how nice that motel looked! I would like to stay there if we didn't have AGS. As other posters have mentioned, there is so much to do in the area. We love the rivers and lakes in NH. Echo Lake in North Conway is one of our favorite places to spend the day. There is a nice ice cream place near North Colony. I think that it is called Trail's End. Some day, I have to try the Spaghetti Shed that is not too far from there. It just never seems to be open when we are there. Any posters ever been there? One of our favorite treats would have to be the apple cider donuts from White Mountain Cider. Is that the name of it? That is also on the road from Storyland to North Colony. I could go on & on about that area. We just love it. We love Kringles for pizza, too. I'll stop now. The stores in the center of N. Conway are nice, too. I love The Penguin gift shop. We always have to go to the five & dime for fudge! I'm getting hungry:goodvibes

OMG, we loved Trail's End ice cream when we went to NH on vacation! We stayed in Bartlett, which is a good plan; you are just north- and out of- the traffic from the outlet malls. In addition to Storyland and Santa's Village, we drove up Mount Washington, went to Wildcat Mountain and rode the gondola to the top, drove across the Kangamangus Highway, and went to the Flume, which was really very cool. We also saw the "Old Man in the Mountain," but of course you cannot do that anymore... sigh.

Hey Pat's Mom! What a cool place to live- we really love it over there. Did you by any chance go to Berlin last December to see The Nutcracker? If so, my DD danced in the show! Just thought I'd try for a "Small World" moment!

Come on up to NH! The mountains are beautiful but our beaches are nice too! There is also an amusement park in Salem, NH that I believe is much nicer than Storyland. It's called Canobie Lake. It's a family park with many more rides than Storyland. However, my absolute favorite park is Santa's Village. Don't forget to go in the bakery, order gingerbread cookies and then go in the room towards the back and paint them yourself. It's the best kept secret in Santa's Village!

Either place -- NH or PA is lovely!

This is funny. We have a TS at Attitash Grand Summit, which we love. I read a couple of posts on here that mentioned the North Colony Motel. I thought that I knew most of the motels in the area, but I couldn't think of where this one was. I went to their website and realized that it is the motel right near our home resort. I have always thought how nice that motel looked! I would like to stay there if we didn't have AGS. As other posters have mentioned, there is so much to do in the area. We love the rivers and lakes in NH. Echo Lake in North Conway is one of our favorite places to spend the day. There is a nice ice cream place near North Colony. I think that it is called Trail's End. Some day, I have to try the Spaghetti Shed that is not too far from there. It just never seems to be open when we are there. Any posters ever been there? One of our favorite treats would have to be the apple cider donuts from White Mountain Cider. Is that the name of it? That is also on the road from Storyland to North Colony. I could go on & on about that area. We just love it. We love Kringles for pizza, too. I'll stop now. The stores in the center of N. Conway are nice, too. I love The Penguin gift shop. We always have to go to the five & dime for fudge! I'm getting hungry:goodvibes

Trail's End has great ice cream. And a nice playground for the kids. You can walk there from the North Colony. They also have a store across from the scenic vista in North Conway now.

The Spaghetti Shed is kind of hit or miss as far as being open. She's open right now 7 days a week and probably will be until Labor Day. We are going there tonight. The spaghetti is great. And White Mountain Cider Company now has a deli in addition to the somewhat pricey restaurant. And of course they still have the store with the donuts and cider. And coffee.

My family hates Kringles pizza. We miss the place that closed at the end of Jericho Road. Now we do pizza from the Spaghetti Shed when they are open. Or go into town to Elvios when they are not.

Glen Junction restaurant is OK for lunch or breakfast but it is noisy from the little train. My daughter loved the train when she was little though. And the Red Parka Pub is a classic for dinner. One of the best steakhouses in the valley. And my favorite of all is open right now - the Dairy Queen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter