• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Summer photo fun: scavenger hunt, or what?

Pea-n-Me

DIS Veteran
It's that time of year again where it's fun to get out shooting!

Years ago, people asked for a scavenger hunt. It was fun, but participation dwindled. It's a lot of work to get it going.

Maybe some "fresh" ideas are needed? :goodvibes

Post your thoughts and ideas here, and we can decide what we want to do.

Instead of a scavenger hunt. Do like a random list of twenty or more items. Another idea is we have to post a picture for every letter of the alphabet.

I am all for the scavenger hunt- I really enjoyed doing it! I like both things plyeng2ff suggested. Maybe another idea could be a photoessay about your area- 20ish pictures that best describe your town/state/neighborhood/etc.

Whatever gets started, I look forward to doing it!

:thanks:

I love the scavenger hunts as it gives me a purpose to go out and use my camera more. I also really liked the monthly photo board assignments you used to host before the hunts. Maybe the two could be combined somehow. So it isn't too complicated, maybe just make a list of techniques such as shallow or extended depth of field, back, front or side lighting, freezing or showing motion, black and white, macro, HDR, linear perspective etc. and then using one or more of the techniques for photographing the items in the hunt. Just some thoughts, I do not mean to make it complicated, and I like the ideas posted above too.

Instead of a scavenger hunt. Do like a random list of twenty or more items. Another idea is we have to post a picture for every letter of the alphabet.

I love the idea of an "easy to remember" list such as the idea of posting something for each letter of the alphabet...

I really enjoyed the scavenger hunt last year, but I often found I didn't have the list to hand or in my mind so probably missed loads of photos.

If the goal was just letters of the alphabet or similar then that would be so much easier to remember when out for the day but not in "photography mode", resulting in more pictures taken and posted because it's always in the back of your mind.

Happy to go with whatever you'd like to do.

But perhaps we could set up a weekly topic, vote on a winner and the winner gets to choose the next week's topic.

I love the scavenger hunt. I make several copies and have them everywhere. It's my personal challenge to get as many as I can. Maybe a combination of standard lists and phrases to think outside the box. I recall something like that a few years ago.

Whatever is decided I'm ready. Have a new memory card and batteries are charged.

Unfortunately, due to my lack of having a car...or friends (in Mobile), I'm out of places to shoot around here :(. As such, it's a bit difficult for me to just "go out shooting".

I have been giving this type of thing long hard thought though (even before you brought it up Pea).

I love the scavenger hunt. I make several copies and have them everywhere. It's my personal challenge to get as many as I can. Maybe a combination of standard lists and phrases to think outside the box. I recall something like that a few years ago.

Whatever is decided I'm ready. Have a new memory card and batteries are charged.
Perhaps a mix would work out quite well, and be MUCH easier to manage.

Something akin to a long, static list of subjects with a small, floating, seasonal addendum?

So, you may have 75 "hints" for subject matter on the main list, but the only ones that get changed out are the 10-15 seasonal items. This would also increase the longevity of a single list (making it even easier to manage) and make it easier for those who may only have limited shooting opportunities to take part.
---
Since I started planning my upcoming trip, I've been thinking about doing something similar, though with a direct Disney Parks aim. A list such as this would certainly have to be considerably static to allow for various people to take their trips.

I am one of the dwindling numbers - when I have no Disney trip planned I admit to being a bit absent from the boards! But, I do need to get back to photography - and I would be happy to participate in whatever you decide! And I promise I will...!!! I know the amount of work that goes into arranging this - and all the suggestions sound good to me! (I know - fence sitter here! :))
I will keep my eyes peeled! :surfweb:

It is always so nice to see all you guys on one thread again! :goodvibes

I've read through all of your ideas and looked at e Pinterest link. They all sound good. Would any of you like to run it this year? Whoever wants to do it gets to use their idea. I have too much going on and just don't have what it takes to take it on right now.

Collating some of the ideas above:

Alphabet challenge - Post a picture to represent every letter of the Alphabet

Where I live challenge - Post pictures representing your area

30-day Photography skills challenge

Also including one for us to expand on our use of equipment; maybe on a weekly or monthly thing to begin with?
My camera function challenge
  • ISO
  • Aperture
  • Shutter speed
  • Shooting mode - manual, shutter speed priority, aperture priority, full auto mode, program mode
  • Focus mode - One Shot / AF-S, AI Servo / AF-C, AI Focus / AF-A
  • Metering mode - Evaluative / Matrix / Pattern / Mutli-zone Metering Modes
  • White balance - Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent etc.
  • HDR
  • phonography
  • Filter effects
  • Tripod shots

What do you all think?

Happy to collate a list of scavenger hunt items as well; if you want to throw some out there.....

Here's a potential list....Disney Song based.

• Kanine Krunchies
  • Arabian Nights
  • A whole new world
  • The Unbirthday Song
  • All in the Golden Afternoon
  • Everybody Wants to Be a Cat
  • Scales and Arpeggios
  • Be Our Guest
  • Touch the Sky
  • Real Gone
  • When I see an Elephant Fly
  • Baby Mine
  • The Bells of Notre Dame
  • The Bare Necessities
  • Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride
  • Circle of Life
  • Hakuna Matata
  • Can you Feel the Love tonight
  • Chow Down
  • Under the Sea
  • Part of Your World
  • One Dance
  • A spoonful of Sugar
  • Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • Feed the Birds
  • Let's Go Fly a Kite
  • The Hot Dog Dance
  • Reflection
  • You can Fly! You can Fly! You can Fly!
  • A Pirate's Life
  • When you Wish upon a Star
  • I Got no Strings
  • Colours of the Wind
  • Just Around the Riverbend
  • Between Two Worlds
  • Shadow Man
  • Almost There
  • Dig a Little Deeper
  • Someday My Prince will Come
  • Zip A Dee Doo Dah
  • Everybody has a Laughing Place
  • Mother Knows Best
  • I See the Light
  • The Glow
  • You've got a Friend in Me
  • Strange Things
  • Little Black Rain Cloud
  • It's a Small World (after all)
  • It's the Tiki, Tiki, Tiki Room
  • One Little Spark
  • Lights Motor Action

I love the 30 day challenge idea and also the where you live challenge!!!!
I really do love the camera challenge!!!! Great ideas, sign me up and when can we start:)! I will keep looking here and see what everyone else likes, great job PrincessinOz!
I would also like to thank Pea-n-me for a great job the past years! You really got me out taking pictures!

Ditto what tlcmommy wrote above!

Pea-N-Me thank you for all your work of the past challenges. I have learned so much about my camera because of them! :goodvibes

PrincessinOz thank you for taking this on, I am sure you will be a great "hostess" :yay:

I love the 30 day challenge idea and also the where you live challenge!!!!
I really do love the camera challenge!!!! Great ideas, sign me up and when can we start:)! I will keep looking here and see what everyone else likes, great job PrincessinOz!
I would also like to thank Pea-n-me for a great job the past years! You really got me out taking pictures!

Ditto what tlcmommy wrote above!

Pea-N-Me thank you for all your work of the past challenges. I have learned so much about my camera because of them! :goodvibes

PrincessinOz thank you for taking this on, I am sure you will be a great "hostess" :yay:

I was actually thinking that perhaps we could share the task.

We can post the song title list, together with the Alphabet challenge and the where I live for the 3 month scav hunt. I was thinking we could use the 30 day challenge to set up weekly "What I'm Focussing On" assignments. We could take it in turns. What do you think?

And pea-n-me....ditto with the thanks. I've learnt so much by just having your hunts as motivation to get out and about; plus looking at what everyone else is doing.

Thanks, guys. You're very welcome! I enjoyed setting them up and participating, too. (Assignments, too.) I just got a sense it was getting kind of tired, and wondered if there were different ideas out there. Not totally ruling out another in the future, but looking forward to trying something new, too.

The only thing I'm thinking is that one of the complaints about the hunt was that people couldn't remember what was on the "list", so something that can be done off the top of the head might be preferable. But I'm game to try either way. Whatever you guys decide who are running it. Thank you!

Thanks, guys. You're very welcome! I enjoyed setting them up and participating, too. (Assignments, too.) I just got a sense it was getting kind of tired, and wondered if there were different ideas out there. Not totally ruling out another in the future, but looking forward to trying something new, too.

The only thing I'm thinking is that one of the complaints about the hunt was that people couldn't remember what was on the "list", so something that can be done off the top of the head might be preferable. But I'm game to try either way. Whatever you guys decide who are running it. Thank you!

Will you offer up a 2013 icon? I'm not that skilled!! And we'll miss having yet another 'trophy' to add to our siggies. :lmao:

And you're selling yourself short, pea-n-me. I think it's been a case of fewer people on this subforum. Lately, we've had a few more semi-regulars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter