suggestions for new DSLR

EeyoreFan5

Mouseketeer
I have a Canon Xti and was looking at a t3i. Mainly because I have a few canon lenses. But is Nikon quality of photos better and worth the change?

I wouldn't switch if you already have lenses. Chasing picture quality these days just isn't worth it. The truth is that all of these cameras can take some outstanding photos.

However, most people never truly see what they can get because they don't do any post-processing with programs like Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop. That's where you really draw out the colors and make things pop.

I don't know anything about which Canon does what, but I'm confident that you don't need to switch to Nikon just to get better photos. Lots of Canon photographers can produce outstanding images.

When you look at the number of professionals shooting with Canon, you should feel confident in the brand.
I do feel a sense that Canon sensors are falling a tiny bit behind, but if you already have the Canon lenses, it's not worth starting over.
And yes, good post processing can really up image quality.

You don't need to switch. Which lenses do you have already?

I have a Canon Xti and was looking at a t3i. Mainly because I have a few canon lenses. But is Nikon quality of photos better and worth the change?

Nikon isn't any better than Canon and Canon isn't any better than Nikon. Or Pentax, Sony, Olympus... It's a personal preference thing. While each model has some kind of advantage over others, they all tend to even out in the larger scheme of things when it comes to DSLR's. And the overall quality of your images from a DSLR is largely dependent on the user.

All that said.. the T3i will be a huge jump up from your XTi in terms of ISO range and performance.

The t3i would be a nice upgrade. I just upgraded to the t4i from the xti a few months ago and am very happy with it. Like I said the t3i is a very nice camera, but you may want to look at the t4i. I've noticed that it has dropped up to $200 from what I got it for, and I got a good deal on mine.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

I wouldn't switch if you already have lenses. Chasing picture quality these days just isn't worth it. The truth is that all of these cameras can take some outstanding photos.

However, most people never truly see what they can get because they don't do any post-processing with programs like Aperture, Lightroom or Photoshop. That's where you really draw out the colors and make things pop.

I don't know anything about which Canon does what, but I'm confident that you don't need to switch to Nikon just to get better photos. Lots of Canon photographers can produce outstanding images.

I agree, it is a rare image that can not be improved with some processing. While Nikon may have an edge in sensors, Canon is not far behind and changing brands will likely have a small impact on the quality of your images. One thing that often helps a lot is some sort of camera support. Even at shutter speeds we consider "safe" it doesn't take much camera movement to slightly (but noticeably) degrade an image.

I went from Xsi (one generation better than your Xti) to the T2i (same sensor as the T3i) and have never regretted it. You will love the better ISO performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter