• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

suggestions for a three-day visit with 6 year old

KKGirl

Earning My Ears
Hi - a friend is going to visit WDW during the April vacation week and will be staying at the Beach Club for 3 days. Her daughter is 6 and a 1/2 and is not a big fan of princesses, bippity boppity or big rides. She liked It's a Small World in Disneyland as well as Toy Story Mania while on the West Coast but my friend isn't sure how to approach it. Any suggestions regarding absolute must sees such as shows, places to eat, etc. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I would visit MK, AK, and/or HS.

MK must sees/dos:
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain (really all of Tomorrowland--If she likes Monsters Inc she'll think the Laugh Floor is hillarious)
Adventureland-Pirates, Jungle Cruise
Fantasyland-Peter Pan's Flight, Small World, Barnstormer (there is a A LOT of princess stuff here but it can all be bypassed)
Eating at MK can be kind of a battle but we love Columbia Harbor House, Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills for counter service. If she likes Pooh characters the Crystal Palace is a great character meal.

Hollywood Studios must sees/dos:
Toy Story Midway Mania
Muppet Vision 3D
Character meets--Wreck it Ralph, Mike and Sulley, Phineas and Ferb, as well as classic characters
Indiana Jones Stunt show
Fantasmic! (nighttime show--awesome with lots of Dis characters)
Table Service restaurant we love here is Sci Fi Dine in Theater.

Animal Kingdom--I suggested this because it is a fun park with unique stuff to see and do
Safari
Dinoland
Rafiki's Plant Watch
Breakfast/Lunch at Tusker House with Mickey, Minnie, Daisy and Goofy

All these must sees are our favorites but hopefully it will help with her planning.

At 6, my daughter loved most things at AK save for Bug's Life, most things at Epcot, and about 1/2 of MK. There really wasn't anything at DHS that really excited her and Fantasmic scared the (bleep) out of her. We skipped pretty much all the "thrill" rides everywhere, unless you count Splash Mtn as a thrill ride. AK and MK were full day parks for us, Epcot a day+, DHS a few hours.

Does she have any characters that she likes? Chef Mickey's and/or the Crystal Palace would be good to try.:thumbsup2

At 6, my daughter loved most things at AK save for Bug's Life, most things at Epcot, and about 1/2 of MK. There really wasn't anything at DHS that really excited her and Fantasmic scared the (bleep) out of her. We skipped pretty much all the "thrill" rides everywhere, unless you count Splash Mtn as a thrill ride. AK and MK were full day parks for us, Epcot a day+, DHS a few hours.

:thumbsup2

Beach Club...definitely the try the character meal at Cape May (breakfast). It's Minnie, Donald and Goofy in swimwear, too cute.

It may be high season if she is going Easter week so crowds will be heavy. I would make the most of Rope Drop and the kiosk's for FP, if they hit Fantasyland at RP and try to get what she likes out of the way, if they want to do TSM, RD at HS to ride TSM would be the best bet. She will probably enjoy the Beach Club pool too and all. It will be quality over quantity and very high crowds.

We are going in March and my 6 year old nephew is most looking forward to Toy Story Mania, Jedi Training, the Safari, Turtle Talk with Crush, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh (ride), etc. And we are doing character meals at Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace and Hollywood and Vine. He's excited about meeting all of those characters, and also Sully and Mike, Cars Lightening and Mater and Anna and Elsa. :) I've been to Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace before and really liked all of them. We have heard mixed reviews about Hollywood and Vine but the kids love Doc, Sofia and Jake so we are going for them.

I would visit MK, AK, and/or HS.

MK must sees/dos:
Splash Mountain
Space Mountain (really all of Tomorrowland--If she likes Monsters Inc she'll think the Laugh Floor is hillarious)
Adventureland-Pirates, Jungle Cruise
Fantasyland-Peter Pan's Flight, Small World, Barnstormer (there is a A LOT of princess stuff here but it can all be bypassed)
Eating at MK can be kind of a battle but we love Columbia Harbor House, Cosmic Rays and Pecos Bills for counter service. If she likes Pooh characters the Crystal Palace is a great character meal.

Hollywood Studios must sees/dos:
Toy Story Midway Mania
Muppet Vision 3D
Character meets--Wreck it Ralph, Mike and Sulley, Phineas and Ferb, as well as classic characters
Indiana Jones Stunt show
Fantasmic! (nighttime show--awesome with lots of Dis characters)
Table Service restaurant we love here is Sci Fi Dine in Theater.

Animal Kingdom--I suggested this because it is a fun park with unique stuff to see and do
Safari
Dinoland
Rafiki's Plant Watch
Breakfast/Lunch at Tusker House with Mickey, Minnie, Daisy and Goofy

All these must sees are our favorites but hopefully it will help with her planning.

This is so helpful and I am very grateful for your suggestions. I'll let you know what they finally decide. Thank you again!

We are going in March and my 6 year old nephew is most looking forward to Toy Story Mania, Jedi Training, the Safari, Turtle Talk with Crush, Dumbo, Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh (ride), etc. And we are doing character meals at Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace and Hollywood and Vine. He's excited about meeting all of those characters, and also Sully and Mike, Cars Lightening and Mater and Anna and Elsa. :) I've been to Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, Crystal Palace before and really liked all of them. We have heard mixed reviews about Hollywood and Vine but the kids love Doc, Sofia and Jake so we are going for them.

She will love the meet and greets and the shows. I think the Kidcot in Epcot will be fun (she loves and crafts).
This is a great list and I'll put together the must do's for my friend!
Thank you again!

This is so helpful and I am very grateful for your suggestions. I'll let you know what they finally decide. Thank you again!

I realize I listed some "thrill" type rides at MK, but there is probably more to do there to fill up their day and they can skip those. I'm sure they'll have a great trip no matter what's planned :)

Does she have any characters that she likes? Chef Mickey's and/or the Crystal Palace would be good to try.:thumbsup2

Yes. While she likes princesses her favorite character is Daisy and she loves any type of show.

Hi-
Thanks for sending your suggestions. Since they will only be there for three days they have decided the best idea would be to visit MK and Epcot (to keep it interesting for the dad as he is a big Disney fan(!)). I think Kidcot is a great idea for the little girl as she likes arts and crafts and the Turtle Talk with Crush at the Living Seas.

Beach Club...definitely the try the character meal at Cape May (breakfast). It's Minnie, Donald and Goofy in swimwear, too cute.

That's a definite must! My husband and I don't have children (although we have taken our niece and nephews with us) but we absolutely love this character meal. Plus the location is perfect. She loves the water and I know will absolutely love the pool!

It may be high season if she is going Easter week so crowds will be heavy. I would make the most of Rope Drop and the kiosk's for FP, if they hit Fantasyland at RP and try to get what she likes out of the way, if they want to do TSM, RD at HS to ride TSM would be the best bet. She will probably enjoy the Beach Club pool too and all. It will be quality over quantity and very high crowds.

You're absolutely right. I mentioned to my friend that this will be a very busy week. Easter is one of the busiest times of year at Disney so she needs to be prepared (mentally) for the crowds! I suggested to absolutely take advantage of the pool. If her daughter is getting tired, do not push. Enjoy the moment and not to push to try to do "everything." I think looking at it from that perspective will take the pressure off them.

This is great! I even wonder if it's worth a fast pass or if they should do one park per day (they're only there 3 days but I'm sure a 6 year old still gets tired. I love the Peter Pan ride and highly recommend that one as well. It's an older but there is something so special about it. You do feel like you are flying above London. These are wonderful suggestions and I am adding them to my list. Thank you so much!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter