• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Suggestions for 1st night dinner?

Kate716

Mouseketeer
Hi DISers!

I am hoping you can help! I am looking for dinner suggestions/recommendations for our 1st night at Disney (Friday, May 6th). We aren't planning on going to any of the parks because of the fact we will be just getting into Orlando after a busy day of airports/shuttles/check-in,etc. (the usual travel hassle)...... On the other hand, I'd like to start the Disney magic as soon as possible and really get the kids excited for our vacation. :cheer2:

Any suggestions? Please share your experiences and 1st night dinner traditions if you have them. I have 2 character breakfasts already planned, but we have never done a character dinner or dinner show. I was contemplating Mickey's Backyard BBQ, Hoop De Due, Chef Mickeys???? I just don't know where to start and I wasn't sure if any of the above would be ok for the kids (DD is 5, DS will be almost 2).

Thanks!!!
Kate716

It might be easier on your kids not to go to a dinner show the first night. If they are like my kids, the anticipation and travel to get to Disney can make them tired and a little cranky. The dinner shows are very fun and boisterous, but might be better for another night.We love to go to Chef Mickey's on the first night of our trip. It is great!!

HDDR on our first night for a great time and gets us ready to start vacation the next day.I've also seen a great many folks who have a first night tradition of going to Chef Mickeys to get everyone excited to start vacation.My problem is if I ate at Chef Mickey's which is very close to MK I would be at MK right after dinner LOL. :wizard: :goodvibes :sunny: :banana:

Kandeebunny-

I've seen a few posts referring to WCC. Can you tell me what they offer there and what "activities" there are? (This is at the Wilderness Lodge, right?)

-Kate716

My suggestion for you is Chef Mickey's. We always eat dinner there on our first night in WDW. As for the Mickey BBQ, we were there 3 ago when my DS's were 6 and 3 and they were bored!! They did not eat a lot and they did not want to dance or even play around. Plus my DH and I were not impressed with it anyway. I would have to say that is one of the place we felt a bit let down. :flower:

Our tradition is Chef Mikey's. It is delicious, has great characters as well as fun napkin twirling and interaction and it is easy to get to. We never do the parks on our first day either because we don't usually get into our villa until 3:00. It is nice to have only a dinner planned for the first evening. If the kids aren't tired after Chef Mickey's, you can go down to the beach at the Contemporary and sit in the sand and watch the electrical light parade that goes by on the water around 9:00.

Correct it is in Wilderness Lodge. This is our first trip over there, but if you take a look at the food photo thread you can see some of the antics. There are stick pony races, excessive ketchup/straws/beverages. Everything I've head has said that the food i fantastic. The chef's are wonderful I have food allergies so I've made some special arrangements, but they have been more than helpful!

Another vote for HDDR!! A great way to get things going well into the vacation attitude. It costs about twice what a decent meal would other places, but if you've never done it, call 407-WDW-DINE and get on your way. There are three shows each nite I believe. I've never seen my DS as tickled and excited as the 1st time we went.

We like to do either Chef Mickey's or 1900 Park Fare @ GF. Both are character dinners (prefer Chef Mickey's) and will start the *Disney Magic* for your family! I think Chef Mickey's would be perfect for your young children. They'll get to meet Mickey, Pluto, Chip & Dale and Goofy, plus you can ride the monorail - another way to get the *Magic* started!

Another vote for Hoop Dee Doo. Lots of fun and good food if nothing fancy. Go to the early show and catch some WDW magic at then end of a long day.

Thanks to all who responded! It looks like Chef Mickey's is quite the favorite for a vacation starter! I'm going to call now and see if I can get in! Thanks again! :)

-Kate716

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter