• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Styrofoam Cooler

Linda T.

DIS Veteran
We are heading to disney world in July. I was wondering does anyone know where I can purchase a styrofoam cooler and beverages close to the disney propery? Someone had mentioned if you go to DTD, right across the street is a place to purchase th the cooler and it is alot cheaper than on disney property. Does anyone know anything about this? And if we can get the cooler etc., can we take it back on the disney bus transportation to our resort? Thanks for all of your help.

If you travel on Hotel Plaza Blvd directly from DTD you will run into The Crossroads. This is a huge shopping center anchored by a Goodings supermarket which is where you can pick up the cooler and alcoholic beverages.

If you have a car, go to Super Walmart or Publix. If no car, take a bus to DTD and walk over to the Hess station

I can't answer your question but your family dynamics sure peaked my interest. Your son-in-law and a boyfriend? I finally decided you might have two daughters coming too? One with a husband and one with a boyfriend?

I don't know if they sell them anymore but I remember seeing them being sold at POR years ago. But it might have been a temporary thing as we were vacationing there when a hurricane hit.

From DTD you can also take the LYNX bus anywhere in Orlando.

However the route I would suggest is a 3 night cruise to the Bahamas - buy your Alcohol there, duty free! And then go back to WDW 3 days later when you get back from your cruise! However, that might be a little overkill just to get alcohol - but HEY - you'd have a GREAT time doing it! HAHAHAHAHAH :lmao:

I can't answer your question but your family dynamics sure peaked my interest. Your son-in-law and a boyfriend? I finally decided you might have two daughters coming too? One with a husband and one with a boyfriend?[/QUOTE
and.. what difference does that make? do they sell coolers based on the family dynamics?

we were able to purchase beer and soda at teh Hess gas station. just across the street ro the the DTD bus stop. I didn't think to ask about coolers, though.

smidgy;40121514;)and.. what difference does that make? do they sell coolers based on the family dynamics? [/QUOTE said:
Seriously? No one else's first thought was to wonder why on earth they were inviting their son-in-law's boyfriend?

I think I figured out that's not what she was saying, but that was how I initially read it. Am I really the only one who would think that was strange?

maybe she has a son-in-law AND a boyfriend. in other words, her daughter's hubby and her boyfriend would like a few beers. or, her daughter's hubby has a buddy, and the OP didn't define the relationship .
the point was: there will be some guys in their party who want some beers with a styrofoam cooler.

I know they sell 12 packs of pop and beer at the hess stations ;both on World drive and at DTD disney.

I know it is a VERY easy walk from the Hess station on Buenas Vista drive, across the street fro the DTD bus stop, and we brought an 18 pack of beer on the bus with us.

I don't know if they sold coolers, but I'll bet youcould call the Hess station and ask.

I guess I wrote that wrong - my party is my daughter and her husband celebrating their one year anniversary, my other daughter and her boyfriend celebrating their college graduation, my mother celebrating her 79th birthday, and myself. Thank you all for your responses and yes the son-in-law and boyfriend would like a few beverages when we return from the parks in the late evening. Thanks again.

To disykat: I'm with you. I spent more time puzzling over why that was the second sentence, or even mentioned at all, since the question is simply about where to get beer and a cooler.

I was trying to figure out to son-in-law and boyfriend thing too.

To the OP, it looks as though you will be staying at CBR. All mods have a small refridgerator so you really would not need the cooler. Just put a few beers in the morning before you leave for the parks and it will be nice and cold when you return

We bought one of those coolers at the Hess across from DTD a few years ago. Not sure if they still have them, but I'd bet they do.

Not that there's anything wrong with that! Of course not!

Last trip I shipped down our styro cooler. I filled it with snacks and other light weight things, like tissues, tampons (sorry...tmi...haha), handiwipes, etc. It cost about $11, and I mailed it 1 week before arrival date.

You can also then use the outer cardboard box to ship back purchases if you don't have room in your luggage. Just remember to pack the tape and shipping labels.

We bought ours at Winn Dixie, down the street from the Crossroads. Goodings is way too expensive. W.D. is always cheaper.

I would suggest instead buying a collapsible cylinder shaped cooler to pack in your suitcase. It's insulated and like a giant lunch bag. I did this one year and it was great, kept things cooler than the styrofoam and was reusable.I got mine at Walmart. However, we did keep it in the bathtub some of the time in case it leaked.

I was wondering about places nearby that sold styrofoam coolers as well!

If you travel on Hotel Plaza Blvd directly from DTD you will run into The Crossroads. This is a huge shopping center anchored by a Goodings supermarket which is where you can pick up the cooler and alcoholic beverages.

Wondering about that... is The Crossroads a huge shopping centre? I somehow thought it was a stripmall with mostly restaurants? And I had gotten the impression that Goodings was pricier than most supermarkets (because of its proximitiy to WDW/hotels I figured) and was a much small supermarket than Winn Dixie, that seems to be just 1 mile up the road to the north?

I was planning on taking a walk/run from DTD up to WinnDixie on my first day (thereby getting a few km in after a long day of flights & airports), and cabbing back to DTD or POR (would they let me on the WDW boat or WDW bus with a grocery bag on wheels?)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter