Stupid stunt

I'd like to know how he got out the water fast enough before people could catch him. He must be a fast swimmer!

I'd like to know how he got out the water fast enough before people could catch him. He must be a fast swimmer!

Not really. so the person on the boat sees them jump off. So they get on the walkie or whatever they have to communicate to someone on shore saying someone jumped off. That someone is probably a central boating person that all the boats talk to and whose job it is to monitor the weather. So now after getting the location and where the guy looks like he may be swimming (if the person on the boat could see) they call security again probably a central dispatch not a direct one in a hotel right next to them) Security dispatches security guys closest to the location. Probably those at Beach Club and Board Walk. However They still have to get to the water and try to figure out where the person is getting out.

The boats aren't too far from shore in many spots. It would be definitly possible to swim to shore and get lost in the crowd in that time. The biggest challenge would just be to not be seen by any of the arriving guards in soaked clothes.

That is overblown nonsense. Millions of Floridians swim in fresh water lakes here all the time.

And there are even more of us who wouldn't.

Maybe, maybe not. I still fly, still drive, still swim in the ocean, and still get up in the morning knowing the odds. Almost everything has an inherent risk, and almost all of them are infinitesimally small. Swimming in the "damn lakes" in Florida is no different.
I just don't understand why swimming where there is an amoeba that kills you is something you consider overblown nonsense, mesaboy (and I usually agree with your opinions on most everything!). There was a warning in the Orando paper in July Health officials warn of amoeba in wake of 11-year-old boy's death

I agree that there a many risks in life (I have a few extra thrown in for good measure, like the risk of infection), but isn't minimizing risk where you can a good idea? I mean, I might get hit by a bus one day anyway, but why stand in the middle of the road and increase my chances? The risk is small, but dead is dead.

But on a bright note, it makes the lady who hopped in the water at IASW to retrieve her phone seem normal. (Mentioned on theme parks board and yes, the woman's wet foot prints were seen exiting the ride.)

OMG my friend and I helped that lady get fastpasses! She was taking out her phone to take a picture of the kiosk screen and she just says "I'm surprised this still works, it fell in the water at small world and I jumped in to get it!" and we look down to see that her legs/shoes are SOAKED....naturally we were shocked! I felt bad for our friends in fantasyland! :eek:

I just don't understand why swimming where there is an amoeba that kills you is something you consider overblown nonsense, mesaboy (and I usually agree with your opinions on most everything!). There was a warning in the Orando paper in July Health officials warn of amoeba in wake of 11-year-old boy's death

I agree that there a many risks in life (I have a few extra thrown in for good measure, like the risk of infection), but isn't minimizing risk where you can a good idea? I mean, I might get hit by a bus one day anyway, but why stand in the middle of the road and increase my chances? The risk is small, but dead is dead.

Do you not take any unnecessary risks in life? Do you have any idea how many people have swam in freshwater lakes since that Orlando story and before?

The risk of death at the hands of the terrible, brain-eating amoeba is just as ridiculously small as hitting a tree (and dying) while skiing, getting caught in an avalanche, getting killed by a shark or jellyfish while swimming in the ocean, or falling off a sheer cliff while mountain climbing. Should no one do any of these (completely optional) things?

I know this gets a lot of traction here because of Pete's catch-phrase. I know he means it and that he means well, but at the end of the day the risk is so very insignificant.

OMG my friend and I helped that lady get fastpasses! She was taking out her phone to take a picture of the kiosk screen and she just says "I'm surprised this still works, it fell in the water at small world and I jumped in to get it!" and we look down to see that her legs/shoes are SOAKED....naturally we were shocked! I felt bad for our friends in fantasyland! :eek:

Just... Wow!!

I am from Florida too and I don't swim in Lakes nor springs. Especially after a friend described a really long poisonious snake that they pulled out of the water when she was a lifeguard. There's other things beside Ameoba like Water Moccasin and Gators. I'm not going to swim in the ocean when it's rough or Sharks have been spotted either.

This guy who jumped in was an idiot.

To the idiot who jumped off one of the Friendship boats tonight on its way to the Studios - you caused a lot of people a lot of aggravation and cost disney a whole lot of money. Boats had to stop running, people could not even use the walkway back to the Epcot resorts. We were all funneled to buses. Helicopters were called in along with boats and others to look for you. I hope they find you and your two stupid friends who were taking video of your stunt and took off running. I hope you weren't hurt but I hope you turn yourself in so Disney knows you're not floating out there somewhere. Stupid, stupid stunt!

Were the friends on the boat?? Hopefully they detained them!

Along the lines of people doing dumb things... We watched two ADULT men climb up the Mexico pavilion during F&W a few trips back.. There was security and police waiting at the bottom before they even started climbing back down. Don't get it!!

Were the friends on the boat?? Hopefully they detained them!
Pretty sure you can't detain or question someone just for (a) being friends with someone who jumped from the boat or (b) taking a video of that person.

If they aided the guy in the crime (like opened a gate on the side of the boat), yes.

But if they're just his friends, and taking a video, no. Not even at Disney.

kay1864 said:
Pretty sure you can't detain or question someone just for (a) being friends with someone who jumped from the boat or (b) taking a video of that person.

If they aided the guy in the crime (like opened a gate on the side of the boat), yes.

But if they're just his friends, and taking a video, no. Not even at Disney.

Likely they would detain them briefly, find out what they knew, and when. Then either cut them loose or hold them for further questions if thier story doesn't add up or they seem to be hiding something. Depending on what they knew, and when would determine how much or little trouble the person taping would be in. In most cases the person taping will not be in too much trouble if any at all becuase all they have to do is plead they knew nothing till he stood up to jump. Been in security type work for the past 6 years so I know how things generally go down lol.

I just want to say that I read the title of this thread three times before I saw that it said 'stunt.' I was definitely misreading it. Whoops! Moving along now... :rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter