Struggling with DDP- yes or no

mtquinn

DIS Veteran
We are a family of four, two DD's ages 15,12 and staying for three nights. DH and I just can't figure out if the DDP would save us money, so I need some advice.

If we did the plan, would probably get the Quick Serve plan to save money. Sit down meals aren't necessary for us anymore. If we didn't go for the DDP, we would most likely just eat QS meals the entire stay, and not deviate from that. Def a snack a day for each of us, too. We always end up doing that.

My question is: if we did the DDP, would it actually save us money apples to apples? Like, if we bought three QS meals a day for all four of us (and I am sure my DD's would go half and half with kids meals and adult meals...depends on the place), and a snack each a day? I know we would eat that way regardless if we had the plan or not.

So, if we buy ahead, and get the DDP, does it really save you money?

Thank you!

The quick service plan is the worst value of all the plans. With the ages of your daughters, you'll pay adult prices for the plan. With the eating habits you describe, the plan will cost way more than simply paying as you go.

My question is: if we did the DDP, would it actually save us money apples to apples? Like, if we bought three QS meals a day for all four of us (and I am sure my DD's would go half and half with kids meals and adult meals...depends on the place), and a snack each a day? I know we would eat that way regardless if we had the plan or not.

As supersnoop said, the QSDP is generally a money maker for Disney. It's difficult to come out ahead, money-wise.

Also, you mentioned in the quote above buying 3 QS meals per person per day. Be aware that the QSDP only allows for 2 QS meals per day, and 2 snacks (for 2017). That's not an "apples to apples" comparison. If you'll do 3 QS meals per day, even if you get the QSDP, you will have to pay for one OOP every day.

As supersnoop says, you'll do better OOP than with the plan, if this is the way you will eat. Using only 3 meals for 4 people means some of your credits will probably go toward breakfast. Assuming you're going in 2017, each QS credit is roughly worth $18. There's no way you'll "spend" $18 on a QS breakfast unless you're doing BoG.

Put the cost of the DDP on a Disney gift card, and use that for your meals and snacks. You're almost guaranteed to have money left over.

I agree that the QSDP isn't a great deal. Especially if your DDs will want a few kid meals.

I too am struggling with getting the DP. Can I throw out my situation for advice? I don't mean to hijack but don't want to start a new thread.

We have a 4 night stay. My mom and I are in one room while DDs-18 and friend are in another. I can get deluxe DP on my room and use the 6 credits each day which equals 24 credits for all five of us. We'd get five TS meals or three plus a fourth signature... for the 4 nights which equals 25 credits. Just have to pay OOP for one meal for one person and all the lunches (we don't really do breakfasts at WDW...just bring some granola bars and such). Though will probably use the 16 snack credits for Flower and Garden booths which will be one lunch, maybe two. If we do 5 TS...no signatures... and two lunches at Flower and Garden booths, we likely won't need to pay OOP for much. But DDs and friend don't want to eat with us so I'd have to bring old MB of mine to let them use to get use of the DP. But things might get messed up. I have an AP and can also get 20% off many places currently. But DDs don't have AP so they have no access to that discount unless they eat with me. What are your thoughts?

I think it depends on how big of eaters the teenagers are? I know my grandson's age 15 and 17 on the last visit, ate much more than was on the standard dining plan. They ran out of QS credits quickly. So, I think it is an individual thing. My husband and I quit using the dining plan last year and we love it. We will never go back to the dining plan. But we eat lightly and share meals at times.
I guess it all depends on how much your family eats, what they like, and if you want the ease of having everything prepaid. good luck:)

I forgot the dining plan only gives you two meals. Knowing that, we would only consider the Standard, with one TS/day.

Has anyone tried to calculate if it makes financial sense to get the DP of you are going to have one sit down meal each day?

I forgot the dining plan only gives you two meals. Knowing that, we would only consider the Standard, with one TS/day.

Has anyone tried to calculate if it makes financial sense to get the DP of you are going to have one sit down meal each day?

Try the site displanner.com. It has a compare tool where you put in your likely restaurant choices and it will do the math on whether the dining plan will save you $$

And we are going in a few weeks, so 2016 prices. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

Do you already have TS reservations or have you checked to see if you can get anything that works with your plans? The DDP won't be much good if you can't find anywhere to eat. You need to see what's out there and then do the math.

Oh yes, yes I have.

With only "Disney adults" in the party, I think it makes no financial sense to pay for either QSDP or basic DDP. In order to break even, you'd have to plan your meals specifically to stretch credit values, which kind of misses the point. It's easier to break even on either with one child (age 3-9) per two adults, and can save money with more children.

DxDP is a totally different story. Assuming it matches your eating style (which in your case, it doesn't), it's a good deal, period.

I agree that the QSDP isn't a great deal. Especially if your DDs will want a few kid meals.

I too am struggling with getting the DP. Can I throw out my situation for advice? I don't mean to hijack but don't want to start a new thread.

We have a 4 night stay. My mom and I are in one room while DDs-18 and friend are in another. I can get deluxe DP on my room and use the 6 credits each day which equals 24 credits for all five of us. We'd get five TS meals or three plus a fourth signature... for the 4 nights which equals 25 credits. Just have to pay OOP for one meal for one person and all the lunches (we don't really do breakfasts at WDW...just bring some granola bars and such). Though will probably use the 16 snack credits for Flower and Garden booths which will be one lunch, maybe two. If we do 5 TS...no signatures... and two lunches at Flower and Garden booths, we likely won't need to pay OOP for much. But DDs and friend don't want to eat with us so I'd have to bring old MB of mine to let them use to get use of the DP. But things might get messed up. I have an AP and can also get 20% off many places currently. But DDs don't have AP so they have no access to that discount unless they eat with me. What are your thoughts?

We have bought the DxDDP for one room and not for the other. If you decide to do this, put one of the girls on your room and one of you on the girls room. That way one of you can charge your credits. I link the reservations so that I can make FP for all of us, as well as dining ADR's. I just need a second MDE account so I can make two different ADR's in the same time frame, such as you will need to so with the girls.

The dining plan is not designed to save people money. It is meant to give people the all inclusive feel. The dining plan (when TS plan) makes the most sense when you are doing a number of character meals with Disney kids.

You get the mugs with the QS plan, but if you are planning a lot of park time you will not get any use out of them, because you can only use at the resort. We did the plan a few years ago with my then 9yo twins. Our mugs were only used a handful of times. The refill stations are usually inconvenient and usually one person would have to take a trek to fill them -- I do love the mugs and still use them a few days per week -so very useful souvenir but that is about it.

We actually found the plan to be a little confusing at times when trying to order QS meals -- some things were snacks some were meals and we totally ended up having to use up credits on the last day.

You could look at the menus and pricing on some of the QS restaurants you are planning on visiting. Figure out a typical meal that you might order at a variety of places. Estimate some snacks you all might want (or just add in $5-6 per person per day) and see if it works out compared to what the cost of the plan would be for your family.

What i have suggested to others is to actually put that money on a Disney gift card - use that for your dining plan and see how you make out. If you have money left over then use that for souvenirs on the last day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter