• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers???

bbass1

Earning My Ears
I have an eleven year old autistic son. He has outgrown the Disney strollers. He really doesn't need to ride in one but it helps keep him in place instead of someone holding on to him constantly. I'm not saying he stays in the stroller the whole time, but anyone who has an autistic child can understand. They don't just walk beside you. Can anyone reccomend a stroller that is big enough. I'm not talking about a baby stroller, I'm talking about a stroller like joggers use but not so tight.

I'm not sure if this would be what you're looking for, but it sounds like older children have used these (not age 11). Look at the testimonials page. What about the double stroller to give him more space??

www.orlandostrollerrentals.com :confused3

Wish I could be of more help.

See if you can find someone who rents special needs strollers. They are bigger and handle more weight. They are meant for people who have situations such as yours. I bet if you do a search for special needs stroller rentals in the Orlando area you should find one that will work for you.

If you look in post #2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread, you will find listings for several companies that rent special needs strollers.

You may also want to check if you might get insurance to buy one for your child. A lot of people have gotten one funded by insurance. Even though the child can walk, it becomes a safety concern in some situations. Insurance should fund pay for it as "Durable Medical Equipment" - depending on your policy, they may cover up to 80% of the cost or may not cover anything.

We rented a Maclaren Major special needs stroller from Discount Mobility. It looked a little beat up, and the footrest came falling off, but other than that it was OK, and I think it would have been large enough for an 11-year-old.

If you're going to try to get your own stroller paid for by insurance, keep in mind this can be a lengthy process. It took us two months to get an appointment in the seating clinic at our local hospital where they fitted our daughter for the right size chair. It then took five months, and four letters from our pediatrician, to get approval from our insurance company. Finally, it was another month before we could get an appointment at the seating clinic again to try the chair out and bring it home.

orlando stroller rentals rents the Baby Jogger liberty; it sounds like what you're looking for. I have rented from them before and their product and customer service is fantastic. Don't forget to get the stroller as w/c on the GAC; if he's overwhelmed, he can ride in his nest for a bit. :) It is a lifesaver for us when waiting for rides and such.

I have an eleven year old autistic son. He has outgrown the Disney strollers. He really doesn't need to ride in one but it helps keep him in place instead of someone holding on to him constantly. I'm not saying he stays in the stroller the whole time, but anyone who has an autistic child can understand. They don't just walk beside you. Can anyone reccomend a stroller that is big enough. I'm not talking about a baby stroller, I'm talking about a stroller like joggers use but not so tight.

I can highly recommend Orlando Stroller Rentals and their special needs stroller. We used it all this week, in the record breaking and crushing crowds, for our dd who fractured her ankle. I was so worried about how we would get around with her, keep her comfortable, get on & off buses. Let me tell you that the stroller made our week possible. It can accomodate someone up to 100 pounds, and is very comfortable. Be advised that it is big, and a little heavy - after all it can support someone 100 pounds. But it is jogger-style, and very easy to push and maneuver. It can fold up too, so if you want to transfer on the buses, you can easily fold the stroller. Shannon, at Orlando Stroller Rentals is wonderful, too, and can explain your options to you. There is no way a regular wheelchair would have worked for our dd, plus I couldn't find a pediatric wheelchair. Although someone on this board may be able to guide you to one. Using crutches would have been miserable and truly impossible. I can't tell you how wonderful that stroller is! I don't have any experience with an austistic child - so I would just wonder if your ds would be willing to sit in the stroller (?). Just for you to consider, because pushing it around empty would not be fun. My dd couldn't walk and was in pain, so she was very happy to use the stroller. Also, if you get the stroller, go to guest services as soon as you get to your first park, and explain why you are using the stroller. They can give you a tag which identifies the stroller as a wheelchair and enables alternate entrances which avoid stairs. This means your child can stay in the stroller if needed! Cast members will notice and recognize the tag, and help you out. Several times we got to stairs and thought, now what, and suddenly a cast member was there to guide us in the right direction. If you don't have the tag, they will make you park your stroller with all the other strollers prior to the queue.

Good luck.

We have a maclaren major for our son. He is about 48 inches tall and weights about 85 lbs. The major is great for us because it is big enough to fit him. The only thing that we don't like is that the foot rest has to come off to fold up the stroller. If you search for the maclaren major you can get an idea of what it looks like. You could also ask about it at the stroller rental. Also, I have found that CM knows the stroller and can see that your child is special needs. Hope you find something that works for you. Good Luck.

orlando stroller rentals rents the Baby Jogger liberty; it sounds like what you're looking for. I have rented from them before and their product and customer service is fantastic. Don't forget to get the stroller as w/c on the GAC; if he's overwhelmed, he can ride in his nest for a bit. :) It is a lifesaver for us when waiting for rides and such.

Nicole,

How does this fold up for going on the bus? Is it heavy or too big for the bus? I can't afford the regular price to buy it:scared1: DS is outgrowing his Maclaren and we need to have a stroller for the obvious reasons. He is a runner:rolleyes1.

I didn't know about the insurance company. We have never submitted any claims other than regular visits to the Dr. I guess I just don't feel like fighting with them.

Nicole,

How does this fold up for going on the bus? Is it heavy or too big for the bus? I can't afford the regular price to buy it:scared1: DS is outgrowing his Maclaren and we need to have a stroller for the obvious reasons. He is a runner:rolleyes1.

I didn't know about the insurance company. We have never submitted any claims other than regular visits to the Dr. I guess I just don't feel like fighting with them.

Would your doctor help you fight to get one? That is my "day" job...to fight with insurance companies. And while I don't usually work with Durable Medical Equipment (DME), Maybe your doctors office (whichever dr handles the autism) or the DME company that you are going to use...would be glad to help you get one. Especially if he is a runner. :confused3

It folds the same as the other baby joggers, you lift a handle in the seat and it folds in half. It is a bit on the large side, it will be just over 3 ft high, but pretty narrow folded. You'd have to check w/ Sue, but you might be able to use the lift to get your child on the bus in the stroller, and then immediately fold it without having to lift it up the stairs, but I'm not sure; it is doeable though.

The running issue is a problem for a lot of us. For some, a stroller works, for some, a locator/GPS is needed, for some, a service dog is necessary. For us, we've graduated to a locator system (I'll let ya know how it works) and we also use the stroller. It was getting more difficult to keep him on a harness, though and I wanted to give him a little more freedom, but he runs so darn fast and is awfully good at hiding.

I'm sure you will do great!

Nicole,

How does this fold up for going on the bus? Is it heavy or too big for the bus?

Hi - my post above, # 7 is about the Liberty.

First - you don't have to fold it to go on the bus. The buses will have one of two ways to board. The older buses have a lift. You put the stroller on the lift and up your child goes on the lift in the stroller. The newer buses have stairs that fold into a ramp. Just wheel the stroller on. :thumbsup2 If you need to/want to your child can stay in the stroller for the bus ride. The bus driver secures the stroller for the ride. Or, you can then fold up the stroller. Very easy to fold up - can do with one hand. Since the bus was so crowded, we usually had our dd ride the lift or the ramp into the bus (she could not do stairs) then transfer to a seat. Otherwise the stroller takes up three seats on the bus. Since it was so crowded, we tried not to do that, since she could transfer.

It weighed about 25 pounds and folded very easily. But, you wouldn't want to be walking aound all day with a folded stroller. Even folded it is still big. If you call Orlando Storller rentals Shannon will give you the exact dimensions.

If you need to/want to your child can stay in the stroller for the bus ride. The bus driver secures the stroller for the ride. Or, you can then fold up the stroller.
Just an FYI for the Liberty special needs stroller (really any special needs stroller).
Some special needs strollers are made for bus transport. This is because many children use them on the bus to get back and forth for school. The special needs strollers that are made for bus transport have specific tie down points that have been strengthened for that purpose.

If the stroller you are using is not one that has been approved for transport, it is not safe for a child to ride in it during the bus ride. You can use the lift or ramp to get on the bus, but those strollers should be folded for the bus ride.
Even though some drivers will tie them down, just the act of attaching the heavy hooks and tightening them can bend the stroller frame. I know someone that happened to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter