• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers: How Old is Too Old?

theresamom said:
Ok.. judge a way... but walk a mile in my (his?) shoes.

My son was 7 during our first trip to WDW. He was a chunky monkey and not used to walking miles and miles in a day..day after day.

His legs were probably twice as short as mine, so he had to walk a lot more steps than I did..

We had limited time and didn't have time to wait on him..there was FUN to be had.

So, I bought a double stroller and we rocked WDW and had a great time. He wasn't tired and grumpy.. we didn't have to wait for him. Energy levels were high and feet were happy.

I'm glad I rented a stroller. Despite his age. Did I baby him? I dunno. Did we have a magical time full of fun and energy? YOU BET!

Of course, he's older now and is quite capable and keeping up...and I have no regrets. I'm pretty sure he's not scarred for life and I'm pretty sure I didn't offend too many people by having my son in a stroller.

Hmm.

ttintagel said:
Then again, my parents realized I was a child with child-sized legs, and they would never have expected me to keep up with an adult pace or stay up as late as an adult. Until we were old enough to have an adult's stamina, they didn't try to do things as a family that would have taxed us kids beyond our capabilities.

THANKYOU! This is exactly the logic that was missing from this thread!

THANKYOU! This is exactly the logic that was missing from this thread!

I'm not sure why having your whole family go at a slower pace is more logical than putting the slower child into a stroller? Both seem logical choices.

For our family everyone slowing down was more aggravating than throwing the little one into a stroller. Maybe it is the other way around for some. But neither decision is the "right" decision.

4 was the last year any of the kids we took to Disney used a stroller. Even at 4 with my DS it stayed in the room most of the time. None of them had any problems and we go commando, early morning to late at night.

IMO without any medical factors any child in school or school age does not need a stroller.

It is so freeing without a stroller!

I felt that way when I had only my older pair. My son was a big kid - at 4.5 he was riding roller coasters at Cedar Point - and never did like the stroller. My older daughter wasn't quite that tall but not tiny either and only struggled/wanted to be carried at the end of long days at that age. They were also closer in age, so it wasn't a big deal to slow DS down to DD's pace. But my youngest? She's just plain tiny and has a hard time keeping up with even a non-commando pace. And with a teen and a tween, we're a pretty commando family.

I thought, after not using one for our first few trips, that I'd hate having a stroller but I actually like it. An umbrella-style stroller isn't a hassle at all to travel with and I love that when DD4 gets tired or overwhelmed she climbs into her ride and relaxes/sleeps.

I'm going to miss having a stroller because I hate trying to fit all my bag in the nets on the rides. An this year we will have to have sweaters to. :faint: DH even suggested we rent one just to keep our stuff on.:rotfl2:

REALLY????! This is what they have lockers for. As an adult couple who travel to WDW in Sept to avoid crowds we still find ourselves constantly run over by strollers and you are going to use one to cart your sweater?

We are not child hating people who think WDW is not a place for children. We often stop and watch children at character meal light up with an encounter, or tell little princesses how magical they look in the gowns. However just this last trip I was rammed by little johhny pushing an empty stroller, got the sleeve of my dress dirty on a bus by little susie's dad who had to try and fold up their stroller (which was by the way as big as my car) for their at least 8 year old.

When I was 5, I would have been absolutely mortified if my parents had tried to make me ride in a baby carriage. When I was 5, it was all about, "I'm a big kid, not a baby." They'd have had to strap me it, and I'd have screamed bloody murder.

Then again, my parents realized I was a child with child-sized legs, and they would never have expected me to keep up with an adult pace or stay up as late as an adult. Until we were old enough to have an adult's stamina, they didn't try to do things as a family that would have taxed us kids beyond our capabilities.

My children would have been horrified to be stuffed into a stroller at that age, too. They'd been walking on their own two feet since three. My son was seven when we visited Disney for the first time and the possibility of putting him in a stroller never crossed our minds, any more than a wheelchair would have. He didn't need either, thankfully.

I will say, though, we left the parks before dinner on each day of that first (wonderful) trip, and never saw a single fireworks or evening parade! :lmao:

I took my 7yo and 5yo in June as a solo trip, just us girls. I brought the stroller. I felt it was easier and safer for me going alone. I do think that it is probably our last trip with a stroller.

I would definitely bring it. We just got back with my 5 yr old who is even bigger than yours at 44.5 inches. We had several long days and she never would have made it walking. She slept in it on the way back to the hotel on a couple of nights too. DD was happy to ride in it and as far as I could tell no one made any comments or funny looks (not that I would have cared if they did).

It is different for each kid but better to have it and not need it than vise versa.

We leave for WDW in less than three weeks! Our DD, who will have just turned 5 when we go, has not used a stroller in some time. We weren't planning on bringing one, though we do have a light, strong, compact one that she does technically fit in.

But last weekend we went to NYC (before the hurricane). I had to carry her either on my shoulders or in my arms most of the time. It was just faster and it felt safer, not to mention she was whining to be carried. But of course I was in pain afterwards (we walked from 55th and 5th to 77th and Broadway to see a show (Fancy Nancy the Musical, in case you were wondering), and then several blocks after the play).

So I am leaning towards bringing the stroller. I feel that we would need one every day (7 days) so renting would get expensive. I was just wondering if anyone feels 5 is too old, or more to the point 43" is too tall (she is often mistaken for 6). The way I see it, WDW is not a contest to see how can walk the furthest and last the longest, so why not bring one if we have one?

The other question is: will she even use the stroller? Will I get the "strollers are for babies!" fight? What are your thoughts/experiences with bigger kids and strollers?

Thanks!

Chad

We just got back from WDW and there was a 4 year old with us. She walked 95% of the time. Once in a while she would be on her dad's shoulders or was carried. She did fine. It was nice to not have a stroller and to have to push it.

In my family, 5 would be the limit, unless the child in question was sick. We're more about slowing the pace down if people are getting tired or cranky, not pushing everyone to go, go, go.

This is my family though..YMMV.

We will have an almost-5, a newly 6, and a seven year old. The biggest deciding factor was knowing their endurance levels and our touring plans. We will not be using a stroller during the day, we plan on hitting a lot of attractions and not zig-zagging the parks but rather going in a logical order geographically for most days, then retiring for a nap/rest around 4 in the afternoon at our villa which is on-site and they will be okay without a stroller those days. Then for two nights that we'll be hitting the parks for evening EMH, we'll rent strollers in the parks because we've seen the youngest fade at DLR in the evening, and once one child gets one, the other two want one too (though in the past we have just send the youngest back to the hotel early while the older two stayed up for few last rides). I like the size and convenience of renting the stroller in the parks, and its not that expensive since it won't be everyday of our trip.

So basically, my advice would be to take into consideration your child(ren)'s temperament into conjunction with your touring plan, and come up with a plan from there. And remember, if you have multiple children on the cusp of stroller/non stroller needing, wanting one can be contagious ...

I'm not sure why having your whole family go at a slower pace is more logical than putting the slower child into a stroller? Both seem logical choices.

For our family everyone slowing down was more aggravating than throwing the little one into a stroller. Maybe it is the other way around for some. But neither decision is the "right" decision.

I agree!:cheer2: DD then 6 hadnt use a stroller since she hit 2. But...

My youngest DD then 6, needed to get away from the hub bub sometimes and having her own place to sit that is semi block off (the canope on the stroller) eating a snack and zoning out for 10 minutes to reset. A bench or a table in the park wont do it. She needed to have time out from the over load. Would not have worked if we were sitting on a bench taking a break. Just that way for her. She has some soft Nuroligical problems, but otherwise she is fine, and I would never concider Labeling her as handicap. That being said there is a entire spectrum of how children react with all the stimulation of being in a Disney Park and each parent has to handle it how it best suits the family. I found leaving the park and relaxing at the hotel would just add more to the stress. Having a stroler allowed us to give our daughter a quick break from the park without actually leaving it and spending multiple hours coming back.

Please dont judge others. We all have different children and different ways of coping with it. Just because I have a stroler for my 6 year old, doesnt mean I'm spoiling her, just trying to adapt to the situation.

By the way, she never even wanted or expected to be in a stroller after that. Disney vacations are very gruelling and really are not the norm. The kids do get that! She wasnt mortified, but even 6 got it. After all, I dont run my errands wearing a Mickey hat, I would be mortified! But at disney, I am proud to wear my ears

That's a nice thought if it works for your family, but many of us don't have enough time to see what we'd like to at a preschooler's pace and/or have other children who would be frustrated and miserable trying to do so. My older pair are 14 & 11 and would not be happy missing favorite attractions or shows because we had only one day per park and were travelling at the pace of a 4yo. For us, a stroller is just common sense - the baby can walk when she wants to but the day doesn't have to come to an end for the rest of the family just because her legs are tired.

I say forget the age--whatever makes your trip more enjoyable for you and your child is what matters!

I tried to leave behind the stroller when DD just turned 7. She was good for the first 3 days, but after that completely melted down (not a normal thing for her, either). She was exhausted! So, we had brought our compact Peg Perego with just in case and she was much happier for the rest of the trip (and so were we)!

Just over three months later, as we were leaving for the airport, we forgot to grab the stroller out of the crawl space. The limo was there and we asked her if she was going to need it. She said, "No, I'll be fine." And she was.

Each kid is different and each family tours differently. Bring the stroller--if she doesn't use it, fine--but, you'll have it if you need it!

The original question is something only each person and family can answer for THEMSELVES and their opinion is good only for their family and applies to no one else. If you need it, use it, if you don't good for you. It's no one else's business. You can always get one or rent one while there if you don't want to pack it.

My 10 year old would use one today if we'd let him and last used one at 6. I couldn't get my two year old to use one today if I tried.

Whatever will make your vacation easier. It's easy for someone to sit in New Hampshire and judge whether or not someone should use a stroller but they are not there when the whining and b*tching begins. Do what you think is best.

That's a nice thought if it works for your family, but many of us don't have enough time to see what we'd like to at a preschooler's pace

Well,that's definitely the crux of the question. My parents didn't think that always indulging themselves and their own adult pleasures no matter what they had to do to get it done was a good example to set. Others may feel differently,and it's their right to do so.

Well,that's definitely the crux of the question. My parents didn't think that always indulging themselves and their own adult pleasures no matter what they had to do to get it done was a good example to set. Others may feel differently,and it's their right to do so.

I don't think it is just about the parents. My parents took me and my siblings on a "once in a lifetime" trip to WDW when I was 17... and my youngest sister was 5. That made for a careful dance between appeasing us older kids, and making sure my youngest sister was okay. She hadn't ridden in a stroller in two years, but you better believe she wore that thing out while in WDW. It was the perfect compromise for all of us: my sister didn't overextended, and the older kids got to see everything they wanted to see.

At 5, I would definitely take a stroller. If your daughter needs it, you'll have it and if she doesn't you can leave it in the room after the 1st day. Either way, an umbrella stroller is much lighter than a 30-40 pound child and taking one with you potentially will save you lots of money for a rental if she can't handle walking the entire time.
Both of my sons stopped using strollers before they turned 2 and they are extremely active children who walk a lot. When they were 3 and 5, we were concerned how they would handle WDW and took two very light umbrella strollers. The first day, we only took 1 for the youngest. They ended up fighting for the stroller. After that, we took both strollers on days that we stayed at the park a full day. On days that we went back to the hotel to rest before we went out in the evening, we only took the stroller for part of the day. On our next trip, they'll be 6 and 7. We probably will take 1 stroller to only use if necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter