• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strollers for Two

akline

Mouseketeer
Hi All ... we're going to WDW in March (hooray) and need to get a stroller for our 4-year old and 2-year old. We're thinking about an in-tandem stroller, where the 2-year old can sit in front, and the 4-year old has the flexibility to either sit in the back or ride standing up (we want her to also have the flexibity to hop on and off). Any stroller suggestions? Brands that work (breaking down for airport security and on the Disney buses/monorail), are easy to maneuver, and where we can buy them? Thanks.

Sounds to me like you are looking for a sit-n-stand stroller. They sell them at Babies R Us and Target here. Have you pushed both of them in a double stroller? I would highly recommend giving it a trial run in the store. I also have a 4 and 2 year old and there is no way I could push them both, together, all day. Not only are they too heavy, but the in-tandem strollers don't corner very well, especially with 70+ pounds in it. We are opting to take 2 single umbrella strollers with us. My recommendations would be to go to a store that has a decent selection of strollers test drive them before making a decision.

We took our Graco Duo-Glider when our sons were 2½ and 4. We found it quite bulky for the busses but very nice and convenient for the parks. We would prefer renting the double stroller now.

We bought the babytrend sit and stand at target...we were able to try it out at the store and have taken it to the mall several times. We like how it folds, easy to move and has plenty of cup holders. Hope this helps!

We used the 'Baby Jogger City Double' for our twins last year. It was great. You'll really need something that is easy to push. This thing practically pushes itself, and folds up easily.

We also rented a double from Disney for the week for the older two who weren't quite old enough to huff it all day, and usually crashed at about 8:00 every night. Great deal, and also very easy to push, but probably not a great idea for a 2 year old (too much wiggle room).

Good luck.

I would bring two cheap umbrella strollers for the airport and hotel and rent double strollers at the parks. Getting double strollers through an airport and on and off transportation is not worth the hassle IME.

We've used a sit and stand stroller on trips to Disneyland and WDW last year. It was old and used (I bought it from a friend), and didn't handle the best, but it worked fine, and I really did like the flexibility for my oldest who could get in and out by herself.

The problem is, the front seat is made more for a baby, and there is no way my almost-2 year old would fit in there anymore. Does anyone know if there is a sit and stand stroller that would accommodate a bigger kid in the front (she's only 23 pounds, not like she's huge)?

Also, for those who recommend the side by side umbrella strollers, have you ever had problems with maneuvering them through the crowds because they are so wide?

And finally .. how bad are the stroller lines at the parks? Is it worth it? We're the kind of family that likes the run once we're inside the park.

Thanks for the help. There is nothing better than people who are in the know from experience.

I've made myself crazy the past two weeks, trying to figure out which stroller to buy. I have a 5yo, a 2.5 yo and a 2 month old - we're going in a month. I read all the stroller threads here, read every review I could find on epinions and other sites.

I finally ordered a Maclaren Rally Twin - it's a deluxe umbrella type, basically. We test drove several, with different combinations of the girls in them to see what worked best, and this one blew away the others. Drives wonderfully, has a tall handle, steers and turns like there's noone in it, even with the older 2. I'm going to take that, and a baby sling and see if that works out.

The Sit & Stand, I loved the idea of, but when I drove it, I just didn't care for it. Plus it wouldn't have worked for me with an infant (but that won't be an issue for you).

I found lots of good deals on ebay - new ones. But if you google you can find several sites that sell way under what you'd probably find at Babies R Us. Good luck!

Really? Is there a separate pick up for strollers if you rent the whole stay, so you don't have to wait in line?

We've used a sit and stand stroller on trips to Disneyland and WDW last year. It was old and used (I bought it from a friend), and didn't handle the best, but it worked fine, and I really did like the flexibility for my oldest who could get in and out by herself.

The problem is, the front seat is made more for a baby, and there is no way my almost-2 year old would fit in there anymore. Does anyone know if there is a sit and stand stroller that would accommodate a bigger kid in the front (she's only 23 pounds, not like she's huge)?

Also, for those who recommend the side by side umbrella strollers, have you ever had problems with maneuvering them through the crowds because they are so wide?

And finally .. how bad are the stroller lines at the parks? Is it worth it? We're the kind of family that likes the run once we're inside the park.

Thanks for the help. There is nothing better than people who are in the know from experience.

The babytrend might work for your 2 yo...my 30 pound 2 1/2 fits...and also the tray can be removed.

Really? Is there a separate pick up for strollers if you rent the whole stay, so you don't have to wait in line?
Yes. It's great!!! Copied this from the Guest Services Link on the Disney Parks site:

For your convenience, strollers are available for rent. Quantities are limited and subject to availability. The stroller rental fee is $10.00 per day* for a single-passenger stroller and $18.00 per day for a double-passenger stroller**.

For Guests who require a stroller rental for multiple days, we offer a Length of Stay rental ticket where you make a one-time payment transaction for as many days of rental that you will need. Single-passenger strollers are available for $8.00* per day and double-passenger strollers** for $16.00 per day. Upon visiting a Theme Park, simply show your receipt at the stroller rental location and you will be expedited through the queue with little or no wait time.

:cool1:

I suggest you definitely purchase your stroller before entering the park. Then all you need to do is walk over, hand them your ticket, and get your stroller. Very easy.

I take my Maclaren Twin Traveller with me. I have a 5 year old and a 1 1/2 year old now. We just used it in December. IT WAS GREAT!!!!! It folds up nice and compact for the busses and trams. It has two storage baskets for your stuff. It also has two pockets on back of the canopies. It maneuvers SO easily!! As for going in and out of the stores, I really didn't have any problems at all. I bought mine last year BRAND NEW on ebay for $160...and the stroller retails for like $350! Look on ebay...there are bargains to be had!

To me, spending $18 a day on a stroller for a week is like throwing away money. You can buy a brand new double stroller for that amount of money AND you'll be able to use it when you get home! Plus, having a stroller at the airport and at the resorts and DTD is a BIG help.

Good luck with your decision!!!

We have the Babytrend Sit and Stand and LOVE it. Our DD2.5 was 35 pounds and 40 inches on our last trip and she was just fine in the front seat. My older DDs took turns in the back. Once in a while we even pushed all three of them on there (well, actually my DH pushed because it is 120 pounds when it is all three). We bought it at Target (I think $120) and it was a great investment for our trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter