Stroller rules to be enforced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish there was better self-policing among Disney park guests about using strollers for kids who are way too old to need them.

I see and hear too many parents justifying putting kids 6, 7, even 9 years old in strollers only because they feel they'll get tired and cranky by walking too much at Disney. That's contributing to the overcrowded feeling in the parks, and honestly, it's poor, selfish planning if you know your child doesn't need a stroller in their every day life or any situation outside of a Disney park, but you're going to clog up walkways because you're not taking enough breaks or pacing yourselves.

And just to head off the parents who are going to jump down my throat over this:
-I'm not talking about any kids with disability or mobility issues.
-I understand there's no kind of enforcement Disney could legally impose to solve this problem. It's a matter of etiquette and you should recognize that your child is too old to be pushed around in a stroller. It's the same concept as putting your kid on your shoulders during the fireworks -- you should know better and appreciate how that action negatively affects others around you at the park.
-This is not me telling anyone to leave their kids at home.
-Your child's enjoyment at Disney parks does not have to come at the expense of other people by contributing to overcrowding.

I respect your opinion but a day at a Disney park is so different from a day in "normal life" it is hard to say because you kid doesn't need one in normal life it is selfish parenting to want one for them in Disney. It is soooo much more walking, it is typically way hotter/more humid than our "real life" coming from the North East and emotions are so different with all the excitement and schedules are different, etc. Just so many variables that are different

I think it is up to each parent to decide what works best for their family - but would be great if everyone (whether you have a stroller or not) tried to be as considerate as possible of other guests. If you have a stroller, be aware of the space you are taking up and watch even more as you are walking if people stop in front of you, etc.

I wish there was better self-policing among Disney park guests about using strollers for kids who are way too old to need them.

I see and hear too many parents justifying putting kids 6, 7, even 9 years old in strollers only because they feel they'll get tired and cranky by walking too much at Disney. That's contributing to the overcrowded feeling in the parks, and honestly, it's poor, selfish planning if you know your child doesn't need a stroller in their every day life or any situation outside of a Disney park, but you're going to clog up walkways because you're not taking enough breaks or pacing yourselves.

And just to head off the parents who are going to jump down my throat over this:
-I understand there's no kind of enforcement Disney could legally impose to solve this problem. It's a matter of etiquette and you should recognize that your child is too old to be pushed around in a stroller. It's the same concept as putting your kid on your shoulders during the fireworks -- you should know better and appreciate how that action negatively affects others around you at the park.
-Your child's enjoyment at Disney parks does not have to come at the expense of other people by contributing to overcrowding.

ITA. It comes down to people feeling like they paid a lot of money and darn it, they are going to get as much done as humanly possible, and they use the stroller as a means to push their kids beyond a reasonable limit. I mean, I can understand that to some extent. However, the thing is, most people ALSO paid for a hotel room. Use it! Go back for a break, a nap, whatever. Justifying a stroller wagon because "it lets my kid lay down and take a nap in the parks comfortably" is just a way to say "we are being selfish and want to stay in the park and cram in more stuff instead of sacrificing some park time to go back to the hotel to take a break." Same goes for people with older, physically capable kids. "We want to do a 15 hour marathon day in the parks and stay until midnight, and this is the only way our kid will survive." I mean, is that REALLY the most enjoyable way to vacation? For anyone? Slow down, people.

The arguments that "me choosing to use a stroller for my older child doesn't affect you, so why do you care" as well as "everyone does what is right for their family and everyone else should just mind their own business" is more of the same attitude. It absolutely does affect everyone else. Maybe if people spent just a bit more time thinking about how their actions affect others enjoyment of something, our world would be a much better place. No one lives in a bubble, and some common courtesy seems to be in short supply these days where everyone is all "me, me, me, this is what is best for me," all the time.

The social media comments about this issue are just further proof that people only care about themselves and their own experience in the parks, and to heck with anyone else.

This kind of post whenever the topic of strollers comes up is just all-too-familiar. But throwing in that "selfish" really bumps it up a notch. :stir:

ITA. It comes down to people feeling like they paid a lot of money and darn it, they are going to get as much done as humanly possible, and they use the stroller as a means to push their kids beyond a reasonable limit. I mean, I can understand that to some extent. However, the thing is, most people ALSO paid for a hotel room. Use it! Go back for a break, a nap, whatever. Justifying a stroller wagon because "it lets my kid lay down and take a nap in the parks comfortably" is just a way to say "we are being selfish and want to stay in the park and cram in more stuff instead of sacrificing some park time to go back to the hotel to take a break." Same goes for people with older, physically capable kids. "We want to do a 15 hour marathon day in the parks and stay until midnight, and this is the only way our kid will survive." I mean, is that REALLY the most enjoyable way to vacation? For anyone? Slow down, people.

The arguments that "me choosing to use a stroller for my older child doesn't affect you, so why do you care" as well as "everyone does what is right for their family and everyone else should just mind their own business" is more of the same attitude. It absolutely does affect everyone else. Maybe if people spent just a bit more time thinking about how their actions affect others enjoyment of something, our world would be a much better place. No one lives in a bubble, and some common courtesy seems to be in short supply these days where everyone is all "me, me, me, this is what is best for me," all the time.

The social media comments about this issue are just further proof that people only care about themselves and their own experience in the parks, and to heck with anyone else.

obviously everyone should decide for themselves what is best for them and for their vacation ... some people love to slow down, for some people that stresses them out and they are better go, go, going (if I don't have a schedule for our activities it stresses me out as I am on vacation to do things)

We generally stay off site and do take breaks some days - particularly if we are starting early and want to be there for the evening entertainment ... but it is a least a few hour commitment to take a break

And when our kids were really young and would take naps in the stroller, that is when we would take time to do things we wanted to do - maybe trying food or a drink we wanted. Now with multiple kids we would use that time for one parent to stay with the sleeping kid while another took the older kid(s) off to do something they wanted to that maybe the youngest wasn't tall enough for.

There were a lot of positives to doing that - if that makes us selfish in your eyes, than I guess we are selfish - but it is a vacation for everyone in the family (though I will say we always used a regular stroller that would lie back - not a wagon/wagon stroller so can't speak to how well those work or don't)

The problem (as with most things) is the individuals. You have rude stroller pushers, just like you have rude people in every single category of WDW guest. For every person who plows into someone with their stroller there’s a person who absent mindedly steps in front of one leaving no room to stop.

Everyone being more considerate would be helpful. But anger over strollers never fails to entertain around here!

Man the stroller haters have come out of the woodwork! So many opinions about how others should raise their children!!!

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. It was awesome to load it up with water bottles and apple juice/snacks for my daughter, but I miss the simpler times when I wore a draw string back pack...or a small over the shoulder purse that held my wallet and nothing more.

I'm guessing the Disney parks have more strollers per acre than any other place on earth. That ends up causing a lot of ankle injuries, especially when rude guests insist on plowing through the crowds. I see no need for huge strollers. A baby or toddler plus a diaper bag is one thing, but I see some with what could be luggage for the whole family. More that one kid? A small stroller for each would be easier on everyone. Yes, I'm an old codger, but I have a handful of great grandsons including one set of twins.

Well, my status as parent to twins trumps yours as great grandparent to twins. :upsidedow

Singles are not easier for everyone. Do what you wish with your own family.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about kids being pushed to their limits as a reason for big strollers. Most of us are all too familiar with this. Yes, everyone, regardless of age, has limits. Often kids are sound asleep in their strollers on the way out of the park at closing time, but there's also a fair number of cranky toddlers screaming and carrying on. Not the child's fault and it's not Disney's fault. I blame the parents that don't have the good common sense to pace themselves and take a mid-day break back at their resort. Rope drop to closing in crowds and summer heat will take its toll and anyone. Just because a parent wants to go "commando," they shouldn't drag their toddler along.

There is a happy medium between pulling a wagon for your kid to sit in luxury while bring enough snacks and drinks to feed an army and having a tired, cranky kid from being on their feet all day in the hot sun. There are plenty of small umbrella strollers that give your preschoolers and early elementary age children a break without needing a giant jogging stroller.

I don't like bringing a giant stroller and a giant backpack for all the kids change of clothes and snacks, but it does make for an easier day and having a place to put drinks and jackets below the stroller makes that backpack a TON lighter the rest of the day.

If you bring an infant or toddler to Disney World (and nothing wrong with that) you need a good stroller they can sit back in and take a nap. But you need one small enough that takes up a lot of space while pushing.

Disney's limits seem fair and reasonable. Not like they are banning ALL strollers.

But really the only way to convince people to bring in smaller strollers is hit people in the pocket book.

Ban all strollers except Disney strollers or just charge a "stroller fee" to bring bigger ones in the parks. You'll see plenty of people 'get by' with small packs and smaller strollers that way. (But you would also see a lot of angry guests -- )

More that one kid? A small stroller for each would be easier on everyone. Yes, I'm an old codger, but I have a handful of great grandsons including one set of twins.

2 strollers would not be easier for us.

-We prefer to have the option that 1 adult could take both kids somewhere in the stroller alone. Having 2 adults present at every moment is not realistic for us. Our group often splits up and someone will take the kids to do something else, especially if they both fall asleep in the stroller.

-We prefer to have 1 stroller on the buses.

-Maneuvering 1 stroller in a thick crowd is hard enough - would much rather deal with 1 stroller than 2.

-CMs move strollers around in stroller parking. I’d much rather try to find 1 stroller than 2.

-I would rather fly with 1 stroller than 2.

The list goes on ... what works for one family may not work for another. Our double strollers
are both well within the new rules so that doesn’t affect us, but I would take a double stroller any day over 2 singles for a day in the parks.

Last edited:

Don't worry, no one has to justify anything to you.

I am going to sound like my parents on this but when we took our kids just under 20 years ago we just used simple umbrella strollers for our kids (as they got bigger we just used a Disney stroller) which worked wonderfully. I was spoiled with the simple pockets to put stuff in. Always seemed like plenty of room. I find it crazy some of the stuff people feel they need to bring in to have a good time (seems like I have less in my storage unit at home). To each there own on this topic but once that starts impeding on others enjoyment is why I assume (at least in part) the policy had to change.

I gotta say, the facebook comments on this have been pure gold. The banned stroller-wagon has existed for maybe 1-2 years? I didn't even see them a year ago but apparently it has gotten out of hand. Obviously we all managed with small children before it existed!

I personally make my kids walk starting at age 5 - but we never do full park days. We do rope drop to before lunch, and either eat lunch at the park, or in the room (or resort), then rest/pool/playground/showers, then go out for dinner. We actually got rid of the double stroller after our trip last year! Single stroller this year for a family of 6!

Of course, I also make my big kids walk the .5 miles to school and home by themselves, so what kind of mom am I anyway?

if Disney didn’t want strollers they could just start charging for kids under 3. That would definitely cut back on little kids.
Disney isn't saying they don't want strollers. Strollers have been used forever. What they are saying is the size of the stroller is to the point where they need to reduce it (at least in their opinions) and better enforce a limitation.

The kids under 3 being free is more of a marketing strategy. Your average child under 3 can only do so many rides. It helps encourage people to come even when their child cannot go on everything. That's not related to a size restriction on strollers.

Disney isn't saying they don't want strollers. Strollers have been used forever. What they are saying is the size of the stroller is to the point where they need to reduce it (at least in their opinions) and better enforce a limitation.

The kids under 3 being free is more of a marketing strategy. Your average child under 3 can only do so many rides. It helps encourage people to come even when their child cannot go on everything. That's not related to a size restriction on strollers.

I understand but there are people saying that they want disney to charge for bringing in strollers. No strollers for anyone over age 4. No strollers larger than a $20 umbrella stroller. Only single strollers. It’s obvious many people don’t want children there. People find strollers an easy target because it’s easy to put limits on. If you put heavy bans on strollers then maybe less people will come. Disney does want children, that’s why they don’t charge families for young ones. They aren’t going to put difficult bans on strollers. There are still a ton of strollers allowed. This is mostly a ban on wagons. My thought is Disney thought wagons were difficult to search for security, too many items were being brought in inside the wagons. I don’t think it was the size necessarily.

I couldn't quote the link because I have fewer than 10 posts (I read these boards constantly and had an account a very, very long time ago but no longer have access) but someone linked the Delta Tandem stroller. As a former CM who has pushed and parked every stroller imaginable (though its been a few years so I thankfully missed the wagon craze), I loved this one! Lightweight and easy to maneuver. My personal favorites were these ones, City Minis, and umbrella strollers. All of these were easy to navigate through the chaos of stroller parking lots. I also really liked the strollers that Disney rents. The only thing I didn’t like about the Delta stroller was that it had multiple handles; I often would take 2 strollers at a time to park and strollers with one long handle (like the City Mini and Disney strollers) were easier to use one-handed. When I have kids to take to the parks, I will definitely be using one of these 4!

From an operational standpoint, I think banning the wagons is a good move. I noticed that a lot of families used strollers more like a shopping cart and they were full of bags and supplies. So even if these wagons can fold up, if they're leaving them in a stroller lot they're probably not folding them up because they're full of their belongings.

Along those same lines, if you're leaving snacks in your stroller be careful where you leave them and how they're packaged! I've seen countless squirrels get into almost every imaginable snack so I'd make sure to keep all snacks in a bag that zips or they are fair game for squirrels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter