Stroller as a wheelchair

Frozen_Squishy

Earning My Ears
My DS (5) is currently recovering from a broken femur, we've spent the whole time he's been recovering talking about our Disney trip, which will hopefully be the second or third week of October 2017 (I have to look into fall breaks and such, NY schools don't get those).

His doctor said it's a real possibility for his leg to bother him 18+ months from now, especially doing a lot, like Disney. We plan on taking breaks as needed, but I'm curious if I can bring an umbrella stroller (he's a light kid) and have it tagged as a wheelchair so if he's hurting he can take it in lines/theaters. Would the DAS be a better option? (I've read a ton but still don't really understand it)

Also if he's not in the stroller (it's folded up being dragged with us) does it get left in stroller parking or what? It will be just me and him.

Oh and are the quiet spots marked on the map, or just kind of obvious? (I know baby care centers and first aid can be good spots if a meltdown comes). He's a spectrum kid, PDD-NOS if anyone else has dealt with that I'd love advice on what worked for your kiddo to try with mine if 'the usual' fails.

My DS (5) is currently recovering from a broken femur, we've spent the whole time he's been recovering talking about our Disney trip, which will hopefully be the second or third week of October 2017 (I have to look into fall breaks and such, NY schools don't get those).

His doctor said it's a real possibility for his leg to bother him 18+ months from now, especially doing a lot, like Disney. We plan on taking breaks as needed, but I'm curious if I can bring an umbrella stroller (he's a light kid) and have it tagged as a wheelchair so if he's hurting he can take it in lines/theaters. Would the DAS be a better option? (I've read a ton but still don't really understand it)

Also if he's not in the stroller (it's folded up being dragged with us) does it get left in stroller parking or what? It will be just me and him.

Oh and are the quiet spots marked on the map, or just kind of obvious? (I know baby care centers and first aid can be good spots if a meltdown comes). He's a spectrum kid, PDD-NOS if anyone else has dealt with that I'd love advice on what worked for your kiddo to try with mine if 'the usual' fails.

DAS isn't for mobility issues, so they won't issue one for a leg issue.

You could get a stroller as a wheelchair. If he's not using it you'd just leave it in stroller parking.

I don't believe quiet spots are marked since they're not really advertised that way. We've found The Hall of Presidents to be a really nice air conditioned area. We made sure to bring comfort and distraction items - kindle, headphones, etc. and at the end of it all, if we had to go back to the room and hangout we did.

the stroller as a wheel chair take lets you take the stroller any where a wheel chair can go with in the parks so out of the parks it has no meaning ( like on the busses)

the DAS card is for people that can not wait in line due to there disability you are given a return time minute 10 minutes and when you come back you can enter through the FP. if his leg is still hurting then I would get a stroller as a wheel chair tag. if you do not have it tagged then you just leave it in the stroller parking areas.

as fair as the PDD_NOS and the DAS and melt downs a DAS may help ( agin depending on your childs need) I would thing about how you child handles thing like long lines crowded areas ( what would he do if he is in an area with a lot of people in line) go into GR and explain this to them what accommodation you child needs. you might find it help full to just try and do it with out anything and if you have a problem to go to GR and say my child has a hard time with

as fiar a quiet places first aid is the go to place they do not have them listed on a map ( but I wish they would ) you can down load this https://wdpromedia.disney.go.com/me...bilities-services/wdw_cognitive_guide_rev.pdf there is a lot of good information about the DAS card and some quiet areas and you may find some of you own

You've indicated your trip is October 2017 -- that truly is 18+ months out and I honestly wouldn't get too concerned about it right now with regards to the leg, it's much too early to tell. With the stroller tag, you may bring the stroller through queues or park it in stroller parking -- whichever you prefer. The DAS would not be an option for his leg issue, though you may want to review the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum if he has other needs.

So related to other concerns -- a lot depends on what challenges your child has. Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Peltor ear muffs or similar to block audio stimuli
  • sunglasses
  • hat
  • stroller as wheelchair may help provide a "safe haven" if he needs to escape from excessive stimuli; something with a canopy that can be pulled down is particularly helpful
  • small toys, figits, a tablet or such to keep him occupied in lines and waiting for meals
  • stay hydrated and bring snacks
  • take breaks
  • try to keep to a "regular" daily schedule as much as possible with regards to waking times, meal times, nap times and bedtime
  • help him prep by watching YouTube videos of rides so he knows what to expect
  • plan your 3 FP+
  • depending on the length of your trip, try to plan at least one non-park day; make this time to hang at the resort, swim, other recreation options, maybe a visit to Disney Springs
Kudos for starting to think about this so far ahead! Please keep in mind that both your son and factors at WDW may change between now and then. Enjoy your vacation!

My eldest is PDD-NOS as well. We found the DAS helpful not so much for waiting in line (although it helped) but to avoid some of the interactive lines. Most kids find the line at Toy Story Mania neat - mine went on sensory overload pretty much when we walked in the door. We had to carry him through the line (thankfully it was at rope drop so not long). The DAS helped a LOT on that. The other was the stroller. We didn't tag it as a wheelchair, but he spent a lot of time in it with the hood down. He had snacks in it, rested, etc. He was in it more than his 2 year old brother. I'm actually dreading returning because the next time he'll be too big for a regular stroller and the special needs ones are pretty useless for him as he needs the pulldown canopy.

Have fun!

The Liberty push chair that Orlando Stroller rental offers has a canopy. I am planning on renting one this year for my 9 year old. Last year we could still fit him in a Mini GT regular stroller. He was 46 inches and under 60lb. The Mini GT maximum is 48inches and 65lb I believe. It is definitely way better then pushing him thru the park in his wheelchair. Its much to uncomfortable and there is no canopy. I always get my stroller tagged so I could take him to shows. I had a few issues with people complaining that I could take my stroller inside. Its just not obvious that my kid can't walk since he is not in his wheelchair. I learned to ignore the stares.

You've indicated your trip is October 2017 -- that truly is 18+ months out and I honestly wouldn't get too concerned about it right now with regards to the leg, it's much too early to tell. With the stroller tag, you may bring the stroller through queues or park it in stroller parking -- whichever you prefer. The DAS would not be an option for his leg issue, though you may want to review the WDW - Disability Access Service thread pinned near the top of this forum if he has other needs.

So related to other concerns -- a lot depends on what challenges your child has. Here are some of my suggestions:
  • Peltor ear muffs or similar to block audio stimuli
  • sunglasses
  • hat
  • stroller as wheelchair may help provide a "safe haven" if he needs to escape from excessive stimuli; something with a canopy that can be pulled down is particularly helpful
  • small toys, figits, a tablet or such to keep him occupied in lines and waiting for meals
  • stay hydrated and bring snacks
  • take breaks
  • try to keep to a "regular" daily schedule as much as possible with regards to waking times, meal times, nap times and bedtime
  • help him prep by watching YouTube videos of rides so he knows what to expect
  • plan your 3 FP+
  • depending on the length of your trip, try to plan at least one non-park day; make this time to hang at the resort, swim, other recreation options, maybe a visit to Disney Springs
Kudos for starting to think about this so far ahead! Please keep in mind that both your son and factors at WDW may change between now and then. Enjoy your vacation!

I've learned to plan for every occurrence I can think of with him, expect the unexpected is usually his motto. I'm planning a lot now, but it's all flexable since so much is being added/removed in the next year as well as how much he & I can change in a year.

We plan on doing most of what you suggest. Our schedule will have a nap added if I/he feels it's needed. We've logged more youtube hours than I want to think of, it's bittersweet, I know he'll be prepared, but there will be very few surprises for him (which may be good!).

We're gonna pull of FP+ based on what he wants to do the most, more than what is hard to get/long wait (BTMRR is the "worst" wait right now). I'm looking at seven park days, one 'off' day, and travel days on each end (I don't think he could handle the airplane AND a park). I also want the park hoppers so we do have that added flexibility. I'd love to 'do it all' but I know that isn't realistic, I've been four other times, this is his trip and I'm gonna let him lead as much as I can since that is what works best at home. I know flexibility is key and it seems (from what I've read) Disney is AMAZING with the wide range of differently able guests they get.

My eldest is PDD-NOS as well. We found the DAS helpful not so much for waiting in line (although it helped) but to avoid some of the interactive lines. Most kids find the line at Toy Story Mania neat - mine went on sensory overload pretty much when we walked in the door. We had to carry him through the line (thankfully it was at rope drop so not long). The DAS helped a LOT on that. The other was the stroller. We didn't tag it as a wheelchair, but he spent a lot of time in it with the hood down. He had snacks in it, rested, etc. He was in it more than his 2 year old brother. I'm actually dreading returning because the next time he'll be too big for a regular stroller and the special needs ones are pretty useless for him as he needs the pulldown canopy.

Have fun!

I think he'll be okay with interactive lines, as long as it's lights/sounds and not spraying water or other physical interactions beyond poking buttons and the like. I think at this point I will bring the stroller as just that, then do the tag if needed. The DAS doesn't seem right for us, but I can always get it later if needed.

For your son, you may try the stroller they offer with a twin size fitted sheet, hook it over the foot rest then up to the handles (a clothes pin may be needed for the slack). We do this on my sons current stroller to make him a literal bubble of space, we use a white cotton sheet to keep it cooler and he can lift the edges for fresh air if he needs to.

The Liberty push chair that Orlando Stroller rental offers has a canopy. I am planning on renting one this year for my 9 year old. Last year we could still fit him in a Mini GT regular stroller. He was 46 inches and under 60lb. The Mini GT maximum is 48inches and 65lb I believe. It is definitely way better then pushing him thru the park in his wheelchair. Its much to uncomfortable and there is no canopy. I always get my stroller tagged so I could take him to shows. I had a few issues with people complaining that I could take my stroller inside. Its just not obvious that my kid can't walk since he is not in his wheelchair. I learned to ignore the stares.

Stares, snide comments, dirty looks; I'm immune to those I'm a bit eccentric myself so having a non-conforming son just kind of fits perfectly into my life.
Nothing will ruin this trip for us, it may change our plans, but that's life!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter