• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Strange packing question...

I doubt that TSA would be concerned about a suitcase full of drinks and snacks. The probably see much weirder things in checked bags...

That said, I flew from Italy to DC with two bottles of wine in a checked bag and here's how I did it: The bottles themselves were wrapped in plastic, and then placed in a cardboard box. The cardboard box was then wrapped in a couple of old towels and placed in another plastic bag. Then I just made sure that the wine was in the center of my suitcase and that it was tightly packed to prevent it from jostling around. I think that's really key! If there's extra space in your suitcase, they're more likely to get damaged. When I packed the wine this way, the bottles arrived completely intact...my only worry was getting through security because I was only 20 (wine was a gift for my parents)!

I don't blame you for wanting to pack things from home. I wouldn't want to be worried about grocery deliveries or shopping on vacation either, and the wine selection on site is kind of meh for the price.

Might be a good idea to bring extra change of clothes for you and your kiddo in case the suitcase gets temporarily misplaced.

Thank you so much!!! This was very helpful. I like the cardboard box idea. Great advice!!!

Wow. 1. I always pack our family of 5 in two suitcases. I'm not hauling 5 just so if it's lost it's only one person. 2. When we cruise we buy tons of cheaper bottles of liquor and just wrap them in clothes and put them in. Never had an issue.

3. We plan to pack the small plastic bottles. Granted I don't need quality, so the sutters home or whatever is fine

I think it's a great idea, and a good way to save some $$. I can assure you that a suitcase full of snacks would raise no eyebrows.

yeah, I would probably just pack it in your luggage. Remember 2 free suitcases with SWA!! Also just to throw it out there, you can uber pretty cheap around the WDW complex. You could probably find a convenience, grocery or liquor store pretty close by to meet your needs so that you get exactly what you would like, and pick up a few extra snacks as well.

I've flown extensively and packed wine in many a checked bag (either taking with me or bought where I was visiting) and never had a problem. Just pack well - TSA won't give you any grief, I'm guessing this happens all. the. time.

If you want a good laugh on this topic - I once brought back 2 whole NY pizzas and a bunch of pastry back to FL from NYC in a carry on. It's just the best and I needed my fix during finals week :cool1:.

We always pack food and snacks in a hard case. Then on the way back you have space for all those souvenirs. We wrap wine in a beach blanket and have never had issues. One a small applesauce got punctured-that was messy but contained inside a zip loc bag. Don't forget paper plates.

We purchased tequila in Cozumel while on the Fantasy last year. I had packed up the zip top bags that are even larger than gallon size - I think they are labeled Jumbo on the box. We wrapped each bottle in a clean t-shirt and then I think double bagged them. Our large rolling duffels are rigid on the bottom so I put them into the corners with more clothing for padding. They made it home just fine!

Can anyone weigh in on travelling with a box of wine? I was thinking that might be easier than glass bottles... TIA!

I packed a ton of drinks and snacks on our last trip in May and plan to do it again in 26 days! It's really not as inconvenient as people are making it seem and if you have the space- why not! Plus - it'll leave you room to bring home all those souvenirs. I doubled bags drinks in heavy-duty sealable bags and then removed the air from them before wrapping them in our beach towels. (We like to have our own Disney beach towels so this served double duty!)

Just remember that if you're packing yourself and a child in 1 suitcase, you should poke some air holes in the luggage for fresh air. And make sure that you can easily open the wine bottle because you'll definitely need a drink after a couple of hours in a confined space with a small child. :rotfl2::drinking1

We always travel with wine, it's not due to not wanting to pay the markup, but because it's wine from our local vineyard that we know we enjoy. Who wants to spend extra money on meh wine? We also travel with our dear friend's coffee concentrate as we prefer it to the Joffrey's.

Our advice? Ziplock Baggie it and roll in a beach towel. Then you have your wine and a nice big towel for pool time! We've never had a bottle break and we can enjoy supporting our local businesses all the way from Disney World!

My parents packed box wine on the way to Italy and their suitcase was lost. When they got it back (after their trip) nothing was broken.
I would also split your clothes between the 2 suitcases to avoid problems if they lose
One.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter