"Stranded" on a Caribbean Beach - First time? Free dining? Join us!

During our June, 2006 and May, 2010 stays, [B]we were assigned to Jamaica Building 41. Our upstairs rooms faced a beautiful courtyard. The walk to Old Port Royale was about 5 minutes and that was at a nice leisurely pace. The walk to the bus stop, the quiet pool and the laundry facilities took just 2 minutes. We especially liked crossing over the bridge and through the island to reach the main pool and food court.[/B]

Part 2 coming up[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

I was just coming on here to ask about this! :thumbsup2

I am willing to pay for a preferred room (I like Martinique) but really like the Jamaica buildings much better. The yellow just looks so pretty! I was looking at Jamaica room 45.

Question...So I read in your TR that you've been to AoA. Would you say that the walk from Jamaica 45/46 to OPR is comparable to walk from say checkin at AoA to the LM rooms? Maybe double that?

Thanks SO much for all the information you have provided. It's very helpful! :goodvibes

This thread applied to us last year- we had the UK free dining and it was indeed our first stay at CBR. Now it'll be our second and we have paid-for QSDP.

From recent reports that have been made, the construction staging area is set up outside of the Jamaica village as we speak. Initially, it was to start "sometime in April" but it seems like it has just started. The manager told me that they would work in one village at a time, completing it before moving on to the next. She also assured me that they would keep the guests' inconvenience to a minimum. I believe that it took a year to complete the refurb at POR. I looked at the permit filed for the CBR refurb and I think that I am remembering correctly that it expires in May, 2015.

Thanks! I was leaning towards a request for Jamaica or Aruba - maybe this tilts the scale in favor of Jamaica... :)

During our June, 2006 and May, 2010 stays, [B]we were assigned to Jamaica Building 41. Our upstairs rooms faced a beautiful courtyard. The walk to Old Port Royale was about 5 minutes and that was at a nice leisurely pace. The walk to the bus stop, the quiet pool and the laundry facilities took just 2 minutes. We especially liked crossing over the bridge and through the island to reach the main pool and food court.[/B]

Part 2 coming up[/COLOR][/B]

I am willing to pay for a preferred room (I like Martinique) but really like the Jamaica buildings much better. The yellow just looks so pretty! I was looking at Jamaica room 45.

Question...So I read in your TR that you've been to AoA. Would you say that the walk from Jamaica 45/46 to OPR is comparable to walk from say checkin at AoA to the LM rooms? Maybe double that?

Thanks SO much for all the information you have provided. It's very helpful! :goodvibes[/QUOTE]

Quite honestly, the walk to the AoA LM rooms seemed much longer to us than the walks at the CBR. Some of that may be due to the fact that most walkways at the CBR are shaded and, to us, the landscaping is much prettier. I'm not good at estimated distances but none of us thought that the walks at CBR were as bad as when we were touring AoA.

You are welcome! I hope that it help to ease some of your fears/concerns.

Thanks! I was leaning towards a request for Jamaica or Aruba - maybe this tilts the scale in favor of Jamaica... :)

We have stayed in Jamaica several times and one in Aruba. When we were in Aruba, we used the Jamaica bus stop because it was easier. For some reason, Jamaica seems to be our favorite village but that may be due to the fact that yellow is my favorite color. ;)

We are among the folks who chose CBR as our first choice!! We had no problem getting free dining over Christmas Day!! We are there for an 11 day stay with two rooms booked for 7 of us.

Hi! This will be our first time at CBR as well, 11/9-11/15. Looking forward to it!

Part 2 coming up[/COLOR][/B]

Thanks SO much for all the information you have provided. It's very helpful! :goodvibes[/QUOTE]

we have stayed twice in aruba. never Jamaica. but we used the jamaica pool a lot. I think the walk from Jam/aruba to the pool food court, etc. is shorter than the walk at AOA from the LM section.
that was a longer walk than I anticipated. esp since theyhave sidewalks going around grassy areas that should just cut through.. they make you walk longer, and the lion king area youwalk through winds, and, after the 3rd time, you are just hot and tired and it's boring..
so.. you end up walking on the sidewalk along the parking lot. it's not pretty, but shorter.

CBR is a great resort. it has a special place in our hearts because it was our first stay at disney. way back in 1992. our boys were 10 and 13. I think we paid like $85? a night? :rotfl:
we have stayed there a few times since. yes, it's large. no, I don't want to be in Barbados. and it is a hassle to me that you have to go to the "carriage house" for the resort airline check in and ME pick up. last time we did that, we took our bags early, to get the all "squared away" took the internal bus, then went to the food court for breakfast.

when we went back to the room about 10 the maid didn't want to let us back in! it was comical , really... in the end, I put her vaccuum out and told her we were not done with our room yet, we were staying until 11. :lmao:

but it is a beautiful resort! the "quiet" pools are especially CHEERY! the colorful umbrellas and all. AND it had a kiddie water play area and a small slide for the little ones, and now a bigger slide for us "bigger" kids!

and you really need to take the time to walk around the whole island.. NOT just the main path through it... the 1st time we stayed at CBR, we were in Martinique, so we never even went ON the island (the boys did).. next time we were in Ruba and just walked THROUGH.. the 3rd tie we took the time to wander off the beaten path and look around it. nice little peaceful areas.

we had booked Riverside with a bounceback, 30% off,.. but switched to CBR for the free dining... I[m looking forward to it!!!:dance3:

CBR is a great resort. it has a special place in our hearts because it was our first stay at disney. way back in 1992. our boys were 10 and 13. I think we paid like $85? a night? :rotfl: we have stayed there a few times since. yes, it's large. no, I don't want to be in Barbados. and it is a hassle to me that you have to go to the "carriage house" for the resort airline check in and ME pick up. last time we did that, we took our bags early, to get the all "squared away" took the internal bus, then went to the food court for breakfast. when we went back to the room about 10 the maid didn't want to let us back in! it was comical , really... in the end, I put her vaccuum out and told her we were not done with our room yet, we were staying until 11. :lmao: but it is a beautiful resort! the "quiet" pools are especially CHEERY! the colorful umbrellas and all. AND it had a kiddie water play area and a small slide for the little ones, and now a bigger slide for us "bigger" kids! and you really need to take the time to walk around the whole island.. NOT just the main path through it... the 1st time we stayed at CBR, we were in Martinique, so we never even went ON the island (the boys did).. next time we were in Ruba and just walked THROUGH.. the 3rd tie we took the time to wander off the beaten path and look around it. nice little peaceful areas. we had booked Riverside with a bounceback, 30% off,.. but switched to CBR for the free dining... I[m looking forward to it!!!:dance3:
First time I stayed at CBR was in 1992 also! I remember when we got it I was so disappointed! We always stayed at Poly and went every other year starting in 84. When my mom booked for 92 Poly was booked and we were stuck going to CBR! We were all worried back then CBR was considered a value! But we absolutely loved it! Beautiful grounds central location great food court! Can't beat it! Of course I've been back to CBR few times I even got engaged there! But we haven't been there since 99! Looking forward to staying there this Dec!!

During our last stay at Disney, we had hoped for CBR with free dining but had to go to CSR because of availability. As much as we love the Caribbean, I had always thought we would love CBR. But because of the full size beds and nightmare transportation/walking stories I've read, I was hesitant. So this go round, CBR was my last choice - despite the fact that I think we would LOVE the theming. So now, because of availability of FD, I find myself at CBR with my DH, DDs ages 11 and 13 in late September.

After reading this thread and the FAQ thread (well, some of it) I think we are where we should be!

We requested Jamaica 45, 44, or 46. We stayed in ASMu our first trip, and assuming we are in Jamaica, from the map I don't think our walk will be as bad as it was there (we could actually see the edge of All Star Sports from our room). At CSR resort we were in Casitas which was probably 10 minutes or so from the main building but right next to the first bus stop.

Reading all of these posts makes me think that we are going to LOVE this resort. My kids are very excited about the pool area. And the buildings and grounds look gorgeous! September 19 can't get here soon enough!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::wizard:

During our last stay at Disney, we had hoped for CBR with free dining but had to go to CSR because of availability. As much as we love the Caribbean, I had always thought we would love CBR. But because of the full size beds and nightmare transportation/walking stories I've read, I was hesitant. So this go round, CBR was my last choice - despite the fact that I think we would LOVE the theming. So now, because of availability of FD, I find myself at CBR with my DH, DDs ages 11 and 13 in late September.

After reading this thread and the FAQ thread (well, some of it) I think we are where we should be!

We requested Jamaica 45, 44, or 46. We stayed in ASMu our first trip, and assuming we are in Jamaica, from the map I don't think our walk will be as bad as it was there (we could actually see the edge of All Star Sports from our room). At CSR resort we were in Casitas which was probably 10 minutes or so from the main building but right next to the first bus stop.

Reading all of these posts makes me think that we are going to LOVE this resort. My kids are very excited about the pool area. And the buildings and grounds look gorgeous! September 19 can't get here soon enough!

:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::wizard:

Yes!! We too are excited for our first visit. September 19th cannot come soon enough.

I originally booked at por several months ago anticipating free dining and had to switch to cbr when the discount was released. I was a little worried at first because this is a surprise trip that the kids won't know about until they get to the room and I had already planned how to work the surprise out at por. I was able to rework the plan and the pool and kiddie pool area look great, so I'm pretty excited to try a different resort now. We'll be there 9/17-9/27

We'll be there Oct. 30 - Nov. 6th with free dining. We stayed at POFQ on our only other trip so I am a bit intimidated by the size of CBR. I've got my fingers crossed that we get lucky and the refurb moves quickly and we end up with a brand new room :)

We'll be there Oct. 30 - Nov. 6th with free dining. We stayed at POFQ on our only other trip so I am a bit intimidated by the size of CBR. I've got my fingers crossed that we get lucky and the refurb moves quickly and we end up with a brand new room :)

We have never stayed at CBR and will be there Nov 1- Nov 15. We loved POFQ because it was not too spread out and the Queen size beds. Hope For a refurbished room.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

So it sounds like Martinique or Jamacia are the spots that the buses hit first so probably the best option for us.

Sounds like Martinique may be quieter than Jamaica as well....

We spend all day at the park so transportation is more important. Very tired at night so quiet is welcome....

Thoughts?

Sounds like Martinique may be quieter than Jamaica as well....

The way CBR is laid out, the entire resort is quiet. Unless of course you have neighbors from hell right next door to you. But in general, we feel CBR is the quietest and most serene resort we have stayed at.

Hello! Joining you all! We were originally staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek but when FD came up we decided to stay on property instead and ended up with CBR. (Sept 27-Oct 8) We are really excited as we've never stayed here before. Our last trip in 2012 we stayed at POR so I'm anticipating a similar stay in regards to bus stops and walking to the food court etc. but I'm excited to explore the grounds. Thanks all for your reassuring words in regards to transportation and distances from certain buildings to the food court. We called and requested Jamaica 45 or 43 I think. So fingers crossed we get one of those!

The way CBR is laid out, the entire resort is quiet. Unless of course you have neighbors from hell right next door to you. But in general, we feel CBR is the quietest and most serene resort we have stayed at.

Good news. Thanks much.

Only our second trip. POR last time. DD is 6 now.

We travel in September. Thinking Jamaica as the bed renovations would likely be complete by then.

Good news. Thanks much.

Only our second trip. POR last time. DD is 6 now.

We travel in September. Thinking Jamaica as the bed renovations would likely be complete by then.

We are booked 11/1 to 11/8. I was told by the reservation person that there are no renovations going on yet or before November?

I stayed in Aruba building 52 in October and was really nervous as this appears to be the most "controversial" of the WDW resorts. Yes, it's layout is big due to 2 story versus 3 story buildings. Since it was the first moderate at DisneyWorld, it does have it's charm in the double versus queen beds issue, and "appearing dated."

Having stayed at most of the deluxes and moderates, I found it to be well located, clean, pleasant, quiet and probably the best food court of the moderates. I'm an early riser and a runner, so running the loop around the lake each morning was quite enjoyable.

Everyone can find a reason to complain about something, so there are those who hate CBR -- but I didn't even mind all the bus stops -- we generally got off the first stop and walked to our room so we could burn off some of the calories we were consuming at the wonderful restaurants at WDW.

Tom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter