Still having pain after 2 weeks of root canal

Give it time and take the antibiotic as prescribed - unless the pain gets worse - then go back ASAP.
Thank you, I’ll take the abx. Hoping the pain is not getting worse. I’m so done with this , just want this to be over😢

Update- I saw the Endodontist today, had X-ray done. He checked my teeth, tapping was fine with when he probed my gum it was tender. He thinks I still have an infection, he prescribed augmentin x 7 days, then come back in 2 weeks. If I still not doing better, he will go back in and clean it again. What do you guys think? Will the abx helped? Or should I just ask him to redo the root canal while taking the abx.? Is it a right treatment? Any advice is really appreciated
I think you should clear the infection first. I had to have a root canal redone once it took about a year before they finally decided to do it, after trying antibiotics/ shaving it down. Tooth still doesn’t feel 100% and I expect to eventually have an issue.
Once I also tore a jaw muscle during a root canal- which was horribly painful. Your issue doesn’t sound like that though.

I’m so sorry you are going through this
I had one that hurt for ten years - they kept saying it’s fine - long story short - it was cracked from bad root canal and infected through my jaw bone - had to be pulled
This one was on bottom right
I have one on top right - root canal - 3 surgeries after - 3D scan - you name it they have done it - still aches off and on just like my bottom tooth did - I’ve been told over and over not cracked it’s fine - still hurts and they have no idea why - I Expect eventually to get it pulled - even though I’ve been told that the pain my not go away as he’s had other patients with same issue who had tooth pulled but pain remained 🤷‍♀️
I do hope your issue gets resolved and you find done relief - I hope it’s something simple like crown needs adjusting for your bite
Good Luck ! Please post how it turns out

I had to have my tooth pulled after the episode I mentioned above. It was the last tooth on the bottom and I had to wait over a week after I left the hospital before it could be pulled. A year later, I had to have the corresponding upper tooth pulled because it had started "searching" for its mate and was causing a lot of pain. Because they were both the last teeth in the back, no one knows that they are missing and no more pain.

I hope you get the pain resolved. I hope I never need another root canal because I am told they don't give narcotic pain meds anymore for it. Boo!

The pain seem getting little worse today, I already started the abx last night. I scheduled to see him back tomorrow. Should I just let this teeth go? And so the implant? I’m so done with this

The pain seem getting little worse today, I already started the abx last night. I scheduled to see him back tomorrow. Should I just let this teeth go? And so the implant? I’m so done with this
I'm sorry, you're having a problem. But dental work, especially things like root canals and crowns, can take weeks, if not months to resolve. Or not.

Are you grinding your teeth? Maybe while sleeping? That can cause pressure on the temporary, irritating the nerve in the bone.

I'd go with the dentist's recommendation regarding whether to just pull the tooth, or wait it out.

I've had lots of dental work done (implants, root canals, and multiple crowns) and I'm going to suggest using Tylenol and ibuprofen for the pain. Alternating each every 2 hours is acceptable.

We’ll - an implant is a LOT more expensive plus takes up to a year to finally get the tooth/crown installed - if it was me, I’d try and save the tooth and get the Endodontist to try and retreat the tooth first…but if it’s a cracked tooth - you maybe outta luck and pull/implant will be your only recourse…

I’d rely on the dentist for guidance about whether to wait it out or not. They see these situations every day.

I will say that I have an implant and although the final result is fantastic, the process is long. For me the pain was manageable, but there is definitely pain involved and it is time consuming. I had the tooth pulled in October, the implant placed in March, the implant exposed and the temporary crown made in August and the permanent crown placed in September. It was about 2 weeks short of a full year start to finish. There was no chance for me to save that tooth, but if I had one that I did have a chance to save, I would do everything I could to save it. Also, my insurance didn’t cover much of the cost.

We’ll - an implant is a LOT more expensive plus takes up to a year to finally get the tooth/crown installed - if it was me, I’d try and save the tooth and get the Endodontist to try and retreat the tooth first…but if it’s a cracked tooth - you maybe outta luck and pull/implant will be your only recourse…
Ah okay, I will patiently waiting for retreat canal, sometime you feel just to have this over, because i can’t take the lingering pain. To be honey right now the pain wasn’t as bad as before the root canal therapy but it keep bothering me though

I’d rely on the dentist for guidance about whether to wait it out or not. They see these situations every day.

I will say that I have an implant and although the final result is fantastic, the process is long. For me the pain was manageable, but there is definitely pain involved and it is time consuming. I had the tooth pulled in October, the implant placed in March, the implant exposed and the temporary crown made in August and the permanent crown placed in September. It was about 2 weeks short of a full year start to finish. There was no chance for me to save that tooth, but if I had one that I did have a chance to save, I would do everything I could to save it. Also, my insurance didn’t cover much of the cost.
Thanks for respond, I think I’ll wait and see and tried to save the tooth

I’m currently taking antibiotic now, and it seem to helped with the constant pain but I still having pain with chewing or biting or even with pressure if I touch it with my tongue. Is there something else going on beside the infection, do you think?

I’m currently taking antibiotic now, and it seem to helped with the constant pain but I still having pain with chewing or biting or even with pressure if I touch it with my tongue. Is there something else going on beside the infection, do you think?

Personally I would adopt a soft foods diet for the next 2-3 weeks and see if that improves. Avoid the area with your tongue. Treat the tooth like you had wisdom teeth removed. Skip flossing that tooth for a bit as well. Oraljel is your BFF.

Hopefully it’s just angry at the major surgery it had and it will settle vs. it being a failed RCT. My tooth ended up pulled after 2 RCT, yet was able to extend the tooth for 13 years more. After 9 months of pain not subsiding, under the chin lymph node & neck lymph swollen, reinfections after 2nd RCT, it was pulled due to being ineligible for through the gum treatment.

Personally I would adopt a soft foods diet for the next 2-3 weeks and see if that improves. Avoid the area with your tongue. Treat the tooth like you had wisdom teeth removed. Skip flossing that tooth for a bit as well. Oraljel is your BFF.
Yes. I would definitely chew on the other side for the foreseeable future. It could just need time to settle, it unfortunately it could be something more though and you probably just have to wait it out a bit.

Yes. I would definitely chew on the other side for the foreseeable future. It could just need time to settle, it unfortunately it could be something more though and you probably just have to wait it out a bit.
Yeah I been chewing on the other side since after the RCT but wanted to try the other side to see how I feel, I chewed on it like couple bite only. I’m very hoping it just angry and take time to heal. It’s not a good feeling keep having in and off pain

If you don't mind saying - how much was it? Here a single tooth implant costs around $4,000 and like you, my insurance isn't worth much. :( I literally can't afford it. In the past I have had major dental work done in Mexico where the OOP was about 1/3 what it is here but that's not practical for a multi-stage process like implants.

If you don't mind saying - how much was it? Here a single tooth implant costs around $4,000 and like you, my insurance isn't worth much. :( I literally can't afford it. In the past I have had major dental work done in Mexico where the OOP was about 1/3 what it is here but that's not practical for a multi-stage process like implants.
I live in S.C. - extraction and bone buildup was @$1700, adding the post will be close to $2600 and the actual crown probably around the same…so @7K.

I paid about $3400. The implant cost—paid to the oral surgeon was $1750. The crown that followed was about $1600. Insurance paid nothing to the oral surgeon and several hundred to the dentist (over and above what I paid) for the crown. It is one of the reasons I am suggesting to the OP that she do everything she can to save the tooth. The implant process is long, expensive and there is a fair amount of pain involved.

I live in S.C. - extraction and bone buildup was @$1700, adding the post will be close to $2600 and the actual crown probably around the same…so @7K.
Wow! My extraction was only $275 and I luckily did not need any bone. I thought $3400 was crazy expensive—$7000 makes that look cheap.

Okay so I experienced some new pain today, I’m having the pain at my jaw. I pushed on the jaw (on my face) that where the root canal was done and experienced moderate pain. I don’t believed I have this pain right after the root canal. Is this something to worry about?

Okay so I experienced some new pain today, I’m having the pain at my jaw. I pushed on the jaw (on my face) that where the root canal was done and experienced moderate pain. I don’t believed I have this pain right after the root canal. Is this something to worry about?

Alternate heat and cold presses. 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off. TLC. If you’re unsure, wouldn’t hurt to schedule a second option/consult. Let the experts be your guide.

I had an honest Endodontist tell me this after 2 RCT on the same tooth reinfected again. My only option was a 3rd retreat going in from top of tooth down or extraction. He said truthfully, going in from the top of tooth down would not guarantee the tooth wouldn’t get reinfected again. Extraction is what he personally recommended even though he makes his living on RCT and saving teeth.

Extraction was right for me because I was done after 2 RCT, the years of pain, and wanted a holistic approach going forward. You’ll ultimately know what to do and how to proceed. Hope you feel better soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter