Staying Offsite vs Onsite Guide

please also consider the new parking - if you want nice parking close to the parks - then that is an extra charge of $15 - since I have an AP - really don't like this EXTRA charge that Disney does now. Ap gets free parking - but in all the parks it is way in the back. the close parking is now an extra charge.

That's what the tram is for. No way I could ever see myself paying $15 to park closer, when I can simply hop on the tram, sit back, relax and get dropped off at the front gate. Driver, all clear to dispatch... :car:

My daughter does #8 onsite!

:laughing: My daughter did too !!! She kept asking when are we going back to the resort. She didn't want to miss the pool party and games. She kept asking me for the time because she practically memorized the activities going on at the resort that day. She wanted to do the hula-hoop contest, and other stuff. She really didn't want to be in Disney all day. So that is why off-site works better for us. Also, there are certain restaurants she likes that are NOT in Disney. She loves Steak-n-Shake !!!

#4 this might or might not be an advantage, personally even when I stay in a WDW DVC villa with a kitchen, I don't use it. I don't cook on vacation and find plenty of healthy options of meals while on property.

I agree there are advantages and disadvantages to both options and each family is going to be different. Heck, there are some who do both depending on the length of the trip or time of year.

This is one of my favorite topics because at one time I didn't think I wanted to cook on vacation either. But once I stayed off-site, I quickly realized I am not cooking full course meals. My kids have no REAL appetites. They are too occupied with vacation to stop and eat heavy meals. We have cold-cut sandwiches....order local pizza delivery from Flippers (nothing like it around Disney). Pick up Rotisserie chickens and salads and sides. The kids aren't eating much anyway. I make quick meals...hot dogs....instant mac and cheese. I am not tied to a kitchen. Some things the kids make for themselves. We do sit down dinners too, some at Disney and some offsite. The price for 1 night sit down meal at Disney for my family at Chef Mickeys or Ohana's is over $200 with tax and tip. I can spend $200 at the local Walmart or local Target and eat for a week!!!! It's just a personal preference. But I like the idea of having a full kitchen. Besides keeping food cold and fresh, the full size fridge also chills WINE....cocktails and ADULT BEVERAGES. Also, a $4 case of bottled water is a lot cheaper and last a lot longer than 1 bottle of water at Disney. Just add up the Dining Plan. We still go out for many of our meals and even eat onsite for 1 or 2. But at the end of the day, we eat more than adequate with a full size kitchen and it does not keep me away from enjoying anything. I advise anyone to try off-site at least once and see for yourself. You may be surprised. I did both and my family prefers off-site far better than onsite and they didn't think they would either.

DVC member at BLT - so getting to the MK is around 7 to 15 minute walk (depending upon the traffic light). You can't do that from offsite - you have to get to the parking lot then take the tram, then take a ferry or the monorail to even get to the MK.

I can take the monorail to TTC then transfer to Epcot - right now you can get to Epcot faster by taking your car - because I think the monorail goes at 35mp and you can drive at 45 mph - but generally not worth the trouble.

that say getting to Disney Springs has always been a problem unless you are staying in one of the Disney springs hotels or onsite at SSR, OKW or PO - they all have boats to DS. otherwise it can be a long bus ride stopping off at TL.

how early do you have to be?
We are a rope drop family. It is a philosophy of "herd avoidance". If we stay away from the herd, we can accomplish about 60-75% of our rides in the first 2 hours. The rest we wait for or FP. The benefit is watching the cattle go to 7DMT after about 2,000 people are in line. While they are stuck in that line, they are not at other lines. So, FP 7DMT, hit Peter Pan, hit Pooh, Ariel, Teacups, Barnstormer, Buzz, Space Mtn, and the race cars. The right plan, this can be done in about 60-90 minutes. Then head over to Frontierland for Splash, BTMRR, PotC, Jungle Cruise, and HM. That is most rides done by noon, even on the busiest days. If we can't hit something because the wait is too long, we just hit it on another day at that park first. Around 1-2PM, we head out to the resort to enjoy the activities and then back to a park for FPs in the evening.

We are a rope drop family. It is a philosophy of "herd avoidance". If we stay away from the herd, we can accomplish about 60-75% of our rides in the first 2 hours. The rest we wait for or FP. The benefit is watching the cattle go to 7DMT after about 2,000 people are in line. While they are stuck in that line, they are not at other lines. So, FP 7DMT, hit Peter Pan, hit Pooh, Ariel, Teacups, Barnstormer, Buzz, Space Mtn, and the race cars. The right plan, this can be done in about 60-90 minutes. Then head over to Frontierland for Splash, BTMRR, PotC, Jungle Cruise, and HM. That is most rides done by noon, even on the busiest days. If we can't hit something because the wait is too long, we just hit it on another day at that park first. Around 1-2PM, we head out to the resort to enjoy the activities and then back to a park for FPs in the evening.
That doesn't explain how you manage to park in the preferred parking for free. You might be close to the preferred parking, but not in it. I'm certain that the parking CMs leave the preferred parking open to people who wish to pay extra and start parking cars in the regular parking areas even before rope drop.

I expect that to change. I seriously see them changing it to a tiered system where Monorail Deluxes can reserve 90 days out and 4 a day, other deluxe 75 days out and 4 per day, Moderates 60 days out and 3 per day, and Value 45-days out and 3 per day.

That policy will absolutely make me quit going to Disney World. I've been over 40 times and this is elitist. I have stayed Deluxe, but prefer not to do so. I won't be pressured to do so, either. I'm sure Universal and Sea World will love my business. I guess I'm lucky. I like Disney World, but I don't love it. I can live without going to Disney World.

Yes it is Elitest. That is what Disney is after. They are not looking for the thrifty family like me. I am exactly what they don't want. They want the family to come for a week and spend $5,000 - $10,000. Trust me, if they can implement a FP system that gets people to pay more for this Monorail resorts, they will. They know a large number of the people that stay in them do so to keep their status level within their social circle.

Yes it is Elitest. That is what Disney is after. They are not looking for the thrifty family like me. I am exactly what they don't want. They want the family to come for a week and spend $5,000 - $10,000. Trust me, if they can implement a FP system that gets people to pay more for this Monorail resorts, they will. They know a large number of the people that stay in them do so to keep their status level within their social circle.

Sad, just sad.

I truly feel they will turn off the middle class big time with more FP for the deluxe. The way Disney World is set up they cannot just live on deluxe resort guests.

That policy will absolutely make me quit going to Disney World. I've been over 40 times and this is elitist. I have stayed Deluxe, but prefer not to do so. I won't be pressured to do so, either. I'm sure Universal and Sea World will love my business. I guess I'm lucky. I like Disney World, but I don't love it. I can live without going to Disney World.
Don't you have to pay for front of the line access at Universal? Or stay at their "deluxe" hotel?

Their front of line pass is expensive. With a party of 4, it is almost the price of a room. The purchased pass is only good once per ride. Staying in a room it is unlimited access.

But this is all off topic. The purpose of this thread is to help people understand what they will miss staying offsite. To me, the "I'm never going to stay offsite no matter what it cost me to stay onsite" group is like Scientology. With the best of discounts that Disney offers, they still pay more for less. They simply do not care and are programmed that way. Trust me, I was that way too. I feel like Leah Remini escaping from the brainwashing of Scientology.

EMH: Only the morning matters. Park opens at 8AM, I have to leave the resort room by 7AM to be ahead of the pack and that may be too late already. Evening EMH you can attend just not ride attractions. Everything else is open. Shop and enjoy the atmosphere at a slower pace.

DME: I drive so no issue. Renting a car and paying for parking yourself will still save you $100s.

FPs: OK, you got a 10AM FP for 7DMT. I got mine at 7PM. We all still rode the same ride.

ADRs: I am not an Olympian and don't really care if my DD got CRT at 8AM. I don't need a $40 breakfast per person. I still get all the restaurants we want at the time we want. We only do 2-3 a trip because $150+ for a single meal for 3 is crazy. You are paying for the atmosphere, not the food. That $50 meal is no better than a Denny's. Yes, that flank steak you bought is a $5/lb cut of meat. I'd rather hit up the Lonestar during Happy Hour, get a 12oz ribeye for $20 and 2 tall beers for $5. Bam!!! Just saved $25-$50 on just one person's meal. Add in my DD's $10 steak and wife's $20 surf and turf, I spend about $70 for 2x the meal...saving more than 50%.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually would understand if WDW did this. Not saying I particularly like it, but I understand it. I would be opposed to them completely taking out FP+ for off site guests...or any guests...but I can see why they'd do a tier. Kind of makes sense to me from a business perspective.

We used to do rope drop, but just don't have the appetite to get up so early in the morning anymore. Instead of showing up an hour before the park opens and just standing there, we'd rather sleep a bit longer, have a nice breakfast at "home" and get there when the park opens or shortly after. Yeah, we'll wait 20 minutes in standby (if we don't have FP+), but to us we'd rather wait 20 minutes in a standby queue than 60 minutes outside the gates.

I know I'm in the minority, but I actually would understand if WDW did this. Not saying I particularly like it, but I understand it. I would be opposed to them completely taking out FP+ for off site guests...or any guests...but I can see why they'd do a tier. Kind of makes sense to me from a business perspective.

We used to do rope drop, but just don't have the appetite to get up so early in the morning anymore. Instead of showing up an hour before the park opens and just standing there, we'd rather sleep a bit longer, have a nice breakfast at "home" and get there when the park opens or shortly after. Yeah, we'll wait 20 minutes in standby (if we don't have FP+), but to us we'd rather wait 20 minutes in a standby queue than 60 minutes outside the gates.

I'm with you on rope drop. We did this once and it is definitely not for us. But it's great we have a choice!

Back to the dining, we also limit the number of ADRs. The table service food isn't great, especially characters meals and it is very expensive.

Don't you have to pay for front of the line access at Universal? Or stay at their "deluxe" hotel?

I wouldn't stay deluxe at Universal, either. I would pay the up charge for FOTL. I could justify that expense.

This was brought up many years ago when fastpass just began at Disney; Disney always wanted you to pay for fastpasses. I can see the day when this might happen.

I wouldn't stay deluxe at Universal, either. I would pay the up charge for FOTL. I could justify that expense.

I'd definitely crunch my numbers before making that decision.

Two days of park-to-park Unlimited Express (included with a one night stay at a participating resort) is roughly $180 per person for my dates. My room at the Hard Rock was around $209. So for a family of four who'd like Unlimited Express an overnight stay could be a major, major cost savings. Not so much for solo me but I won't have a car and it's basically a wash when I factor in the cost of a couple of extra Uber trips.

I'd definitely crunch my numbers before making that decision.

Two days of park-to-park Unlimited Express (included with a one night stay at a participating resort) is roughly $180 per person for my dates. My room at the Hard Rock was around $209. So for a family of four who'd like Unlimited Express an overnight stay could be a major, major cost savings. Not so much for solo me but I won't have a car and it's basically a wash when I factor in the cost of a couple of extra Uber trips.

I hear you. Maybe, in this case deluxe could be worth it. Also, there is a cheaper front of the line pass for a one time use per ride. I'm not sure I would need unlimited.

A Pro on site would be admittance to the theme parks during busy times, especially during Christmas and New Years Day. Magic Kingdom experiences closures a couple times a year due to capacity and you cannot get in if offsite depending on level of closure.

For us, we were off site people until we traded into DVC and then eventually bought there. My kids were teenagers and loved being on site due to transportation. If they wanted to take a break and leave the theme park, they could. We had a party of 20, with three different generations and my parents would leave and come back to the park at their leisure.

Last edited:
Their front of line pass is expensive. With a party of 4, it is almost the price of a room. The purchased pass is only good once per ride. Staying in a room it is unlimited access.

But this is all off topic. The purpose of this thread is to help people understand what they will miss staying offsite. To me, the "I'm never going to stay offsite no matter what it cost me to stay onsite" group is like Scientology. With the best of discounts that Disney offers, they still pay more for less. They simply do not care and are programmed that way. Trust me, I was that way too. I feel like Leah Remini escaping from the brainwashing of Scientology.

EMH: Only the morning matters. Park opens at 8AM, I have to leave the resort room by 7AM to be ahead of the pack and that may be too late already. Evening EMH you can attend just not ride attractions. Everything else is open. Shop and enjoy the atmosphere at a slower pace.

DME: I drive so no issue. Renting a car and paying for parking yourself will still save you $100s.

FPs: OK, you got a 10AM FP for 7DMT. I got mine at 7PM. We all still rode the same ride.

ADRs: I am not an Olympian and don't really care if my DD got CRT at 8AM. I don't need a $40 breakfast per person. I still get all the restaurants we want at the time we want. We only do 2-3 a trip because $150+ for a single meal for 3 is crazy. You are paying for the atmosphere, not the food. That $50 meal is no better than a Denny's. Yes, that flank steak you bought is a $5/lb cut of meat. I'd rather hit up the Lonestar during Happy Hour, get a 12oz ribeye for $20 and 2 tall beers for $5. Bam!!! Just saved $25-$50 on just one person's meal. Add in my DD's $10 steak and wife's $20 surf and turf, I spend about $70 for 2x the meal...saving more than 50%.

I'm not the original poster but I think you missed the idea of the post. They weren't saying one was better than another, they were offering a comparison between the two so people could decide. If they were favoring one over the other, I would say it was off site over on site. While I don't agree with some of of the original posters points (the visiting pools is against WDW policy) I don't think they meant for the thread to turn into any kind of bashing or name calling in either way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter