Staying Off Site Worth It?

Can someone explain WBC to me? Everytime I've looked I don't see a significant savings over an on-site deluxe. I just looked for a 1 bedroom for our dates in June, and it's about $300 less then a studio at BWV (provided there's a room discount of at least 15-20%)... Once I rent a car & pay for parking that savings is gone. I can see the benefit in that I'd be getting more space, and better amenities, but I've never seen the savings.

I'm sincerely asking... Do they offer discounts somewhere that I'm not seeing? TIA.

Can someone explain WBC to me? Everytime I've looked I don't see a significant savings over an on-site deluxe. I just looked for a 1 bedroom for our dates in June, and it's about $300 less then a studio at BWV (provided there's a room discount of at least 15-20%)... Once I rent a car & pay for parking that savings is gone. I can see the benefit in that I'd be getting more space, and better amenities, but I've never seen the savings.

I'm sincerely asking... Do they offer discounts somewhere that I'm not seeing? TIA.
WBC is usually priced best when you rent from an owner. In April I'm paying $103 per night for a 2-bedroom unit. I booked through a broker called Vacation Strategy.

If you pay cash directly through the resort, in most cases it's not a great deal.

Not to take this off track I just wanted to add that I was someone that considered it but never tried staying offsite. I moved here almost a year ago and I'm kicking myself for never trying it before. I recommend you just take a chance, save some money and try it. maybe you don't like it but at least you tried to it to know that. I'm pretty sure it'll be a hard sell to stay on property without another reason to do it after the trip. And especially if you need more than 1 room or don't want to double up beds with someone. you can get houses for cheaper than moderates.

The buses are in the same traffic your car will be so you've seen what traffic looks like already. It's quick to get in and out of disney.

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. A studio at a deluxe is not comparable to a 2BR unit at WBC or other multi-room villa. How can you compare 1200+ sf to 412sf?

Yes, the savings of a studio to a 2BR unit is not going to be vastly different. A studio DVC rental can be had for about $900 (give or take). A 2BR WBC room can be had for about $1,200. You get a full kitchen, 2 full bathrooms, 3-5x the space.

For our visit on 06/17-06/24, the cheapest rate for any Disney room is $988 at All Star Movies in a 260sf room with 2 double beds, and one bathroom. I have a 1BR unit at WBC for the same time period for $560 with a full kitchen, 1 bathroom, and 902 sf of space (almost 3.5x the size). This is almost 50% of the price as well. When you add it up, the cost savings covers an AP. That AP gives free parking, discounts almost everywhere on Disney property, and free Memory Maker ($150 savings each trip).

Now, comparing this to a Disney deluxe room at Boardwalk for the same time, the price difference is drastic. Boardwalk would cost $3,143. Imagine that against $560. It is almost $2,600 difference. Still getting huge space difference (almost 3x).

I am not trying to sell anyone to stay offsite anymore because people get to offensive with it. I just laugh at what it cost them to be happy at Disney World. If spending $2,000-$10,000 more on their vacation than I do makes them happy, then so be it. I just don't want them getting mad at me when I laugh at them arguing at their kids or spouse on how much they are spending. I can tell you what more I can do saving $1,000s and one of those is multiple trips annually instead of just 1 week every few years.

Because you are comparing apples to oranges. A studio at a deluxe is not comparable to a 2BR unit at WBC or other multi-room villa. How can you compare 1200+ sf to 412sf?

Right...that's why I said I understand that you're getting more space & better amenities... I'm just asking how I can get the financial savings. As it's just myself & my daughter extra space is really a non-factor, and I would get a 1br at WBC.

I didn't see where you stated it was for only 2 people. Without a car, the savings are non-existent. The real savings come in if you have a car and want/need a separate bedroom.

For your case, staying onsite is definitely a better option. You can even get a DVC renter for any of the studio rooms for about $900.

For information, what did you get quoted for the 1BR at WBC?

The quote for 8 nights at WBC was about $2200.
OK, now I know why there is a discrepancy. Anything over 7 nights requires a $99 cleaning fee. You cannot get away from that cleaning fee for more than 7-nights. For a 7-night stay, you are looking at about $600-$1,000 for a 1BR. I paid $560 for a 1BR for 7 nights in June this Summer. Add in the $99 cleaning fee and the cost for the 8th night, you are looking at about $750-$1,250. Based on these rates and the estimate of $2,500 for Boardwalk, you would save $1,250.

Search for better quotes and try to find a Platinum VIP member. Most Platinum VIP members have MANY millions of points. One private person I go through has over 50 million points.

Another piece of advice is to find a DVC owner to rent at Boardwalk. You should be able to get a studio for about $800-$900 at Boardwalk for 7-night, guesstimate another $150 for the 8th night for a total of $1,000-ish. That will save you ~$1,500 on your current room.

Last edited:
Pro Off Site

Do you really wish to spend all your vacation time at Disney ?

Have you seen other parts of Florida ( Within 60 miles each way ) ?

Then have a look at the many thousands of villas all around the area ( Hwy 27 & i92 etc )

Most of these villas can be rented out for $ 1000 a week depending on the number of bedrooms

A 5 bed will have 4 bathrooms & sleep 10 people can be rented for $1000 .00 + Cleaning Charge

Most will have a large Swim pool ( 14 ft x 25 ft ) ...... pool heat extra.

You will need a car ........ But this will take you to the food stores & your own transport to The Parks

& to the many great family eating out places. & also to go on an airboat ride etc.

Having an AP, I feel allows me to be more open to a variety of lodging options especially with the free parking and having a car. When my family only did a 4 park pass, I would only stay onsite ONLY because I had those 3 or 4 days of WDW per year. There are so many factors and variables for the offsite/onsite debate.

If it's just for two people, I think staying onsite is convenient. However, for families it's nice to have the extra room (and a nicer place!). We love Windsor Hills. We just booked our third stay there and for us we save 1/2 of what we would spend if we stayed onsite. So it more than covers the parking fee each day. I also like having a kitchen, having easy access to groceries so I can make quick breakfasts in the mornings. I like having the extra room and 2 bathrooms. I personally hate waiting for the buses. I think being able to get to your car and goes is much easier. However, I do miss the convenience of going straight to the Magic Kingdom vs. going to the Ticket and Transportation Center. It's definitely a matter of weighing the pluses/minuses! Good luck deciding.
offsite ...ALL THE WAY..

There is a thread in rumor and news about DDP price increases and I tell people to stay off site and got flamed lol. WBC is awesome. I usually stay at Vacation Village at Parkway. not as nice but for $400ish/7nights....there is no beating it. I just cant believe what people are paying to stay onsite.

I am getting involved in this thread because I found a good deal for next February at Waldorf, 170.00 before resort fee of 30.00. My DH really likes a "resort" feel. However, after paying for transportation to and from the airport, having to pay hotel prices for food (although we always have breakfast in our room), I am wondering if it is really worth it. We have rented points the last two years and have fallen in love with being on Boardwalk with all the dining options. We have a 4, almost 5, year old and definitely need to come back to the hotel by mid afternoon. We don't go crazy with parks every day (my DH would not tolerate this), so next year it might be 1 or 2 days at Epcot and 1 or 2 at MK (just me and DD at MK because my DH is not a fan-sniff). Thanks for any advice!

I am getting involved in this thread because I found a good deal for next February at Waldorf, 170.00 before resort fee of 30.00. My DH really likes a "resort" feel. However, after paying for transportation to and from the airport, having to pay hotel prices for food (although we always have breakfast in our room), I am wondering if it is really worth it. We have rented points the last two years and have fallen in love with being on Boardwalk with all the dining options. We have a 4, almost 5, year old and definitely need to come back to the hotel by mid afternoon. We don't go crazy with parks every day (my DH would not tolerate this), so next year it might be 1 or 2 days at Epcot and 1 or 2 at MK (just me and DD at MK because my DH is not a fan-sniff). Thanks for any advice!

I can't speak to the dining questions. When we stayed offsite we had a kitchen and it was wonderful. I will say going back and forth during the day with a car was so much easier than with the buses!! So breaks with a car are easy peasy.

Right...that's why I said I understand that you're getting more space & better amenities... I'm just asking how I can get the financial savings. As it's just myself & my daughter extra space is really a non-factor, and I would get a 1br at WBC.
We always have our own car, so there is no rental fee, only the daily parking fee on park days. We also trade our timeshare that we've had for 32 years for either Wyndham Bonnet Creek or Vacation Village at Parkway for a $230 trade fee. We pay a yearly $800 maintenance fee for our timeshare, but we get at least 4 week long vacations from it per year. That's $430 per week! If you know an RCI member, they can purchase "extra vacation" weeks through RCI. If RCI is having a sale, the condo can be a steal. You'd have to pay an additional $59 guest certificate fee if someone purchased an "extra vacation" unit for you.

There is a thread in rumor and news about DDP price increases and I tell people to stay off site and got flamed lol. WBC is awesome. I usually stay at Vacation Village at Parkway. not as nice but for $400ish/7nights....there is no beating it. I just cant believe what people are paying to stay onsite.
I've stayed at Vacation Village at Parkway twice now. I recently heard they are putting in a lazy river!

We have done both and really enjoyed our off-site rental when my kids were younger. Now that they are teens who don't always want to come and go at the same time as their parents, we've been staying onsite so they can use the transportation to arrive at the park later or leave earlier than us. Even when they were little, there were a couple of times we had to call a taxi since we only had 1 car and part of our group wanted to keep going while part was ready for a break. For families that all come and go at the same time, offsite is amazing in terms of cost and space!

Last edited:
ha ha, this was me too. I said Disney accommodation for my family of 7 is definitely not 'magical' and got flamed. For a large family off site just makes way more sense for the most part (I get there are exceptions if you have unlimited $$ to pay for some majestic grand villa type accommodation). For us, part of it actually comes down to food. We are not big ADR people-I don't know where I want to have dinner in six months, never mind what time, and being a family of 7 it isn't easy to walk up to TS. So when we stay on site it is way too many chicken nuggets and fries type meals. Off site means we can drive to somewhere and get variety etc.

ha ha, this was me too. I said Disney accommodation for my family of 7 is definitely not 'magical' and got flamed. For a large family off site just makes way more sense for the most part (I get there are exceptions if you have unlimited $$ to pay for some majestic grand villa type accommodation). For us, part of it actually comes down to food. We are not big ADR people-I don't know where I want to have dinner in six months, never mind what time, and being a family of 7 it isn't easy to walk up to TS. So when we stay on site it is way too many chicken nuggets and fries type meals. Off site means we can drive to somewhere and get variety etc.

So true. People's Disney style is very individual. Personally, I don't go to Disney to eat and it burns me to think of paying double for a mediocre meal on Disney Property. We've been about 4 times and stayed off site every time. This fall, we really thought we might try on-site, but when I started looking into how much more an 8 night stay at POFQ plus meals on Disney, I ran the other way - fast!!! After reading these boards a few days ago, I learned about the Disney Springs hotels. I just booked the Doubletree at Disney Springs that includes shuttles every 30 minutes. It's a two room suite with two queen beds and a small kitchenette, free parking and wifi for $134/night vs. $235 at POFQ. The money we're saving will feed us for our stay at restaurants mostly off-site. I can't imagine planning and booking a dining reservation that far in advance. I don't even want to make a reservation that day! We don't even know what park we're going to until that day and see how we feel and what we want to take in. As I said, to each his own.

This is how I feel as well. Staying offsite and limiting Disney Dining allows me to make twice as many trips each year. I do enjoy onsite (staying at Pop later this month) but not well enough to cut my days in the parks in half. I average 4-5 trips a year, usually one onsite and three off. When DH goes we camp at Ft Wilderness which gives me the best of both worlds
There is no right or wrong answer, they are just different both with pro's and con's. If it wasn't for the hassle of moving, we have considered doing a split stay (some on-property some off-site) but the hassle of moving nixed that idea.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter