• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying off property

Windsor Hills...is that on Disney property but further away than the regular Dis resorts? Could you tell me a little about that resort?

It is an off site not affiliated with WDW location, but it is just minutes from the park. It took less than 15 minutes to get to MK and that was probably the longest commute. We utilized valet parking on the MK and ate at CR and left the car there. We were in our car and back at our house before people were even able to get on to a bus/boat. The waits at night are long. The other parks are easy to park at. We did go to Uni/IOA and took advantage of their valet parking and it was very easy. I don't know what your budget it, but you can get a condo for as little at 500 for the week or a 6brm home from 1500-4000 depending on amenities. All the homes have private pools/hot tub and game room/movie theater in the home in addition to the pool/waterslide, park, large game room and movie theater Many have beautifully themed rooms. Look on all star rentals dot com or search windsor hills rentals or VRBO. We stayed in a really nice home the last time, but are changing it up to a new one this upcoming stay (not because we didn't love it, but the kids want to try different rooms). PM me if you want direct links. I get that some don't like off site, but I say try it once(and it is hard to take advice of anyone who hasn't tried both). We did and like I said before...we will never look back.

I only stay on-site now because the cost of airport transportation, resort fees, taxes, and parking at the parks usually evens it out for me--but I only look at the DTD-area Hilton or Holiday Inn, and a Disney value has always been cheaper once I factored in the extra costs of offsite.

Plus I like not having to drive anywhere... AND now that I've familiar with renting DVC points, it's hard to pass up a Disney deluxe resort at moderate prices. For example, I could stay at the Hilton during my upcoming 4-night stay for a total of $488, but I got a standard studio at AKL for $800. That's a big difference ($312) but after I factor in airport taxis for DH and I (we have very different flights for both arrival and departure) its only about $70 in savings, and the convenience and theming are soooo worth that to me. And as we all know, $70 in the grand scheme of a Disney vacation is practically negligible ;)

However, if I were to go with my extended family it would definitely be cheaper to rent a house. I've looked at a few and wouldn't mind staying in one.

It's 8 minutes from the gate of Windsor Hills to the TTC. We've timed it several times on different trips. We love Windsor Hills! We don't own there though. We own a timeshare and have banked points and stayed at Wyndham Bonnet Creek too. It's nice and even closer (on the backside of Epcot), but it's a little more expensive (if you don't have a timeshare to use).

We've stayed onsite once and probably will again in February because we're doing the PHM. But for weeklong family trips? Offsite is so much better for us. We need the space to move around and basically get away from each other (family of 8).

Loved our on site. We had to do off-site for this past trip for the cost factor of a party of 7 and to determine which neighborhood we want to move into...Yes, I will be a neighbor to Mr. Mouse.

Right now I am planning a on/off vacation in 2016. Looking at a few days onsite while we wait for our delivery of house furnishings. Also looking at buying DVC--mostly so the family can come visit.

I only stay on-site now because the cost of airport transportation, resort fees, taxes, and parking at the parks usually evens it out for me--but I only look at the DTD-area Hilton or Holiday Inn, and a Disney value has always been cheaper once I factored in the extra costs of offsite.

Plus I like not having to drive anywhere... AND now that I've familiar with renting DVC points, it's hard to pass up a Disney deluxe resort at moderate prices. For example, I could stay at the Hilton during my upcoming 4-night stay for a total of $488, but I got a standard studio at AKL for $800. That's a big difference ($312) but after I factor in airport taxis for DH and I (we have very different flights for both arrival and departure) its only about $70 in savings, and the convenience is soooo worth that to me.

However, if I were to go with my extended family it would definitely be cheaper to rent a house. I've looked at a few and wouldn't mind staying in one.

If you rent a car there are no airport transportation fees, tax you pay everywhere and there are no resort fees at Windsor Hills. A rental car, gas and parking at the parks will run you an extra $60 a day for a minivan(if you go through UCT). So one week is $420 add to that a 2-3brm condo is about $500 you are looking at $920 total for a week. A studio at AKL value season is $966 if you rent points from somewhere like Davids and while I am no expert on DVC rental from what I have read here is AKL studio value season is almost impossible to get. If you rent one during prime season you are looking at 1330 for one week. So you are looking at a much bigger savings and in a studio you are getting 364 sq feet and a 2 bedroom condo is 4 times the size at 1200 sq feet. Even if it cost me a couple hundred more for the week I'd take 1200 sq feet over 364 sq feet every time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter