• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying in Sedona AZ...HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

jsrj21

Frathouse
Hello everyone! Going with my family to Arizona this summer for a week and our trip is starting in Phoenix and then a few days in Sedona before heading to Grand Canyon, Page, and finishing in Vegas. I wanted to stay in Sedona for 2 days and was hoping that you guys can help me with suggestions as we've never been and there seem to be so many options. We'd like to stay near the action so we can shop, eat, etc. We love history and would love to visit tribal museums etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated - Sedona or otherwise. My planning has been Disney only for the past 17 years so this is all new to me. :)

Thanks!

We did an extended family trip to Sedona and the Grand Canyon during Summer 2014 - 6 days in Sedona, 3 in GC (stayed at El Tovar), 1 in Phoenix. In Sedona my extended family was split between Wyndham Sedona and Arroyo Roble Resort timeshare. Arroyo Roble is also part of a hotel complex - The Best Western Arroyo Roble Hotel and Creekside Villas. It has a free breakfast each day and is located in the uptown section close to restaurants and shops.

We flew into Phoenix and went straight to Sedona. We stayed there for 6 days. Saw Montezuma's castle, Montezuma's Well, Tuzigoot, Pink Jeep Tour of Broken Arrow trail, tubing trip on Verde River, Buddha Beach, Golf, Chapel of the Holy Cross, Chuckwagon Cowboy Dinner at Blazin' M Ranch (superfun!!!!).

Then we drove to the GC. On the way we checked out Oak Creek Canyon, lunched in Flagstaff, Walnut Canyon ruins, Sunset Crater, Wupatki ruins. We went in the Desert View entrance of the GC, so we could see the view from there and climb the watchtower. Then we made our way to El Tovar for the night. We stayed in GC for 2 nights and took advantage of as many Ranger talks as we could.

On the way back, we spent 1 night in Phoenix and explored the city. It was a GREAT trip!

Two family favorites:
Pink Jeep Broken Arrow Tour - There are other jeep companies, but Pink Jeep is the only one with access to this trail. It is sooooo worth it!

Blazin' M Cowboy Cookout & show- This is actually in Cottonwood. The whole family ages 7 to 78 LOVED Blazin' M, especially the mock calf roping and shooting gallery, the music, the little western town activities, and they thought the food was pretty good too.

I also recommend the Coffee Pot, Javelina Café, the Widflower Bread Company (similar to Panera), and cocktails on the porch of El Tovar in GCNP.

We wanted to do Slide Rock in Sedona as well - It was on our agenda, but the park was closed due to recent fires in the Sedona area.

Last edited:
I'm also thinking of a trip to Arizona. Thanks for starting the thread.

We are also planning a visit to Sedona this summer. I have narrowed our lodging down to Pinon Pointe by Hyatt or the Hilton Resort at Bell Rock. Does anyone have any experience with these two properties? I am also interested in activities for families with teen girls. We are planning the pink jeep tour plus a day at the Grand Canyon.

THANKS

We star red at the Red Agave resort 2 years ago & loved it. The views there are amazing & you can hike/bike right from the hotel. It is a bit of a drive to town but there are some restaurants nearby. It has a very cute pool area and they will let you do laundry onsite which we needed after being at the GC. It was such a lovely spot and gave us some room to spread out as they are individual bungalows. Price was very reasonable too.

We did the Pink Jeep tour and lots of hiking. The church there built into the rocks is worth a visit too.

For the GC, look into renting bikes at the rim. This was a highlight of our trip & even my 7 year old was fine. So much more fun than taking the buses.

We loved our stay in Sedona at the Los Abrigados Resort. It was a great location. Our favorite things were the Pink Jeep tour and Blazin M Ranch dinner show. We also had a great meal at Javelina Cantina.

We star red at the Red Agave resort 2 years ago & loved it. The views there are amazing & you can hike/bike right from the hotel. It is a bit of a drive to town but there are some restaurants nearby. It has a very cute pool area and they will let you do laundry onsite which we needed after being at the GC. It was such a lovely spot and gave us some room to spread out as they are individual bungalows. Price was very reasonable too.

We did the Pink Jeep tour and lots of hiking. The church there built into the rocks is worth a visit too.

For the GC, look into renting bikes at the rim. This was a highlight of our trip & even my 7 year old was fine. So much more fun than taking the buses.
we also stayed at the Red Agave. For us, it fit our budget especially having the extra room and kitchen! The location was fantastic imho~ I liked being off the main drag of town and the short drive in was beautiful. Would have missed enjoying it each time had we stayed closer in. We did the ATV tour(well, you drive yourselves following a map to the ruins, etc) as we wanted to drive and DS already has a Wrangler so opted for a little different off-road vehicle than we are used to. Pink Jeep was quite popular tho, from what we saw. We stayed 2 nights at the GC S Rim and we are a family that loves to walk and take pictures so we did everything on foot. We stopped at Horseshoe Bend on the way to Monument Valley (stayed 2 nights there) before driving back home to IL. If doing it again , we would have added a night to Sedona (we stayed 5, but left really early the last day)and cut the GC to 1 night or added a night in Page so we could have seen Antelope Canyons. We take a LOT of pictures tho, so we take longer at places than a lot of people do. It's a fantastic trip. We went Mid May and THE WEATHER WAS FANTASTIC!

Last edited:
We stayed with friends in Gilbert last Spring, but did a day trip to Sedona. We did the pink jeep tour, it was OUTSTANDING! I can't recommend it more!!

It takes between 6-8 hours from The Grand Canyon to Vegas, you could stop at The Hoover Dam.

Hello everyone! Going with my family to Arizona this summer for a week and our trip is starting in Phoenix and then a few days in Sedona before heading to Grand Canyon, Page, and finishing in Vegas. I wanted to stay in Sedona for 2 days and was hoping that you guys can help me with suggestions as we've never been and there seem to be so many options. We'd like to stay near the action so we can shop, eat, etc. We love history and would love to visit tribal museums etc. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated - Sedona or otherwise. My planning has been Disney only for the past 17 years so this is all new to me. :)

Thanks!

We were there last yr.

Here is the deal...Sunlight is your travel companion. Basically plan the sunrise, sunset for terrific pics. So factor that in if picture taking is a thing for you.

So plan your Phoenix drive accordingly for daylight driving.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions!!!! Pink Jeep Tour for sure!!!! This is what I have thus far for our 8-day trip:

1. Fly into Phoenix [staying at Marriott property for the night]. Watching a baseball game AZ vs. St Louis
2. Drive to Sedona [staying for 3 days] Pink Jeep Tour, Hiking, Airport Mesa [sunset], Montezuma's Castle, Tuzigoot, Tubing on Verde River, etc. Just hope 3 days is enough for that. Hoping to catch some fireworks as we'll be there for July 4th.
3. Grand Canyon [Overnight at El Tovar] - 'Nuff said
After the GC is where things get iffy. I'm thinking of staying near Williams AZ to check out the Rt 66 remnants. Would be cool. If we do...then we'll stay overnight and drive to Vegas the next day.
4. Las Vegas - Staying at a Marriott property about 10 minute walk from the strip for 2-3 days. The hotels on the strip, albeit reasonable, charge a ridiculous resort fee of about 30-40/night. PLUS you have to pay for parking. I'm saving about $500.00 by staying at Marriott with no resort fees and free parking and breakfast. While in Vegas, we plan to do as much as we can without rushing. We don't have Fastpasses for anything! I def want to see Hoover Dam though.

Thanks so much guys! Any more suggestions, please let me know.

Just a head's up. Summers in Phoenix, AZ is considered hot and dry to visitors. So, please remember to bring or pick up plenty of sunblock, don't forget for your lips too, cases of water/gatorade, or perhaps gift cards for Sonics, Starbucks and Dutch Bros to get beverages to keep you hydrated.
The hottest part of the day here is between 3-5, just a head's up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter