• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am completely on the same page with you, but I seem to fit into that "stuck" category. We are booked for 9 nights mid-August (multiply onsite hotels, including YC). We have non-refundable airfare (though I will consider saving the credit for future use), and non-refundable Boo Bash tix, though I will consider begging for a refund. I think I can still return my park tix to ****************** but I am not sure.

I go back and forth daily about canceling. Here is my issue: this is a belated 18th bday, belated class of 2020 hs graduation, pre-off to out of state college trip after a covid-imposed deferment...based on the wish of my only child, who never asks for anything. No matter what bad news I throw at him, he still wants to go, and is convinced it will all be ok. Granted, he is very easy-going, and not paying the bills--I am the one who has a huge issue with everything happening now. And he has a point, that once he is away at school, busy with friends/internships or whatever happens, who knows when we will get to go. So do we suck it up and make the best of it, or do I listen to my conscience and say I just can't stomach it? He certainly will accept that, but it is a real bummer to have no alternative plan for this big moment we have all been waiting patiently for. Just stinks.

So, I search daily for fast pass news and swing wildly back in forth between cancellation and trying to think of anything to make the trip more enjoyable. We are seasoned visitors and I cannot fathom being there without fastpasses.

That said, I 100% agree with every word you said! Yet, it is still an extremely difficult decision to cancel. Thanks for listening!
GO!!! Don't put off to tomorrow what you can do today, tomorrow is not guaranteed (I know, cliché). That is wonderful he wants to spend the time with you, enjoy it! Try and be more like him and go with the flow. Discover attractions or things you may not have done before - I'm looking forward to exploring Tom Sawyer Island, something I haven't done since I was a kid. Play miniature golf, or real golf - take a lesson from a pro. Relax at your resort - talk to each other! Think positive, don't dwell on the lack of FP, it may not be as bad as you think. Like I said in a previous post, change your expectations, don't lower them. You might be surprised how much you enjoy your trip!

I booked a Disney vacation package with reservations at the YC for early August. We will simply cancel, lose the $200 deposit, and “scramble” to book a different summer vacation for our family.

I know some people don’t have the ability to cancel due to DVC point rentals, non refundable airfares, etc.; however, I’m not sure why anyone with the ability to cancel their package wouldn’t do so under the current circumstances.

Why accept a heavily diminished experience for $10,000+ ? I read many posts where people state that this will be their “final trip” to Disney and that they will just make the best of it...I’m not sure why anyone would be okay with any of this.

I love almost everything about WDW. When the experience of visiting the parks and riding the attractions becomes a chore, and a tortuous time-commitment, we’re out!

Were it only up to me, I would’ve cancelled. But my daughters (grown and paying their own way) want to go for the fireworks because we believe they won’t be back and I might as well join them as it’s going to cost me whether I go or I don’t. I wanted to see the fireworks as much as they do, but the issues are so bad now, that I’d give it up.

I was foolishly hopeful that Disney would not let the summer guests deal with hours long lines and crowded parks, that they’d do something, that hope was misplaced obviously. It absolutely colors my opinion on when we’ll return.

While we are there, we will make the best of it because to not do that wastes even more money. But my wallet is firmly shut. We’re at the cabins and we’ll eat our meals there. I’ll spend the least amount of money possible and I’ll enjoy watching my grandson have a great time- he’s oblivious to all of this.

But yes, until they bring it ALL back- shows, parades, decent park hours and some sort of ride system, we won’t go back....for however long that takes. I’ve made my dissatisfaction known to Disney and I’ll certainly let them know what our experience was like when we return. That’s about all I can do.

For one thing and one thing only..... Star Wars. I've said it before, if it were not for GE I would not be going this time. I would spend 1/3 of this money and go to Hawaii.
I get it...it’s what I am looking forwar
I am completely on the same page with you, but I seem to fit into that "stuck" category. We are booked for 9 nights mid-August (multiply onsite hotels, including YC). We have non-refundable airfare (though I will consider saving the credit for future use), and non-refundable Boo Bash tix, though I will consider begging for a refund. I think I can still return my park tix to ****************** but I am not sure.

I go back and forth daily about canceling. Here is my issue: this is a belated 18th bday, belated class of 2020 hs graduation, pre-off to out of state college trip after a covid-imposed deferment...based on the wish of my only child, who never asks for anything. No matter what bad news I throw at him, he still wants to go, and is convinced it will all be ok. Granted, he is very easy-going, and not paying the bills--I am the one who has a huge issue with everything happening now. And he has a point, that once he is away at school, busy with friends/internships or whatever happens, who knows when we will get to go. So do we suck it up and make the best of it, or do I listen to my conscience and say I just can't stomach it? He certainly will accept that, but it is a real bummer to have no alternative plan for this big moment we have all been waiting patiently for. Just stinks.

So, I search daily for fast pass news and swing wildly back in forth between cancellation and trying to think of anything to make the trip more enjoyable. We are seasoned visitors and I cannot fathom being there without fastpasses.

That said, I 100% agree with every word you said! Yet, it is still an extremely difficult decision to cancel. Thanks for listening!
well said...A feeling of being in vacation “limbo”...really hard to get too excited.

Several days ago, I read what may have been Remy's last post concerning FP+, and it sounded sort of like a "sign-off" to me. It is further back in this thread (or maybe a similar one - sorry can't recall exactly when). I have followed his posts for quite some time, and when I checked his profile the next day to catch up on them, it was unavailable then. He may have just gotten tired of the pushback he was getting or maybe his sources asked him not to post. Who knows, but I miss his insights. Oh well, maybe he will return sometime.

I’m right there with you, only we’ve finally decided to just go for all the reasons I listed in my previous post. I’m furious that Disney is allowing this to happen, but they are. Once we’re there, I’ll put on my happy face and we’ll do our best to pretend WDW was what it was back when our trip was cancelled in March just hours before we were scheduled to leave.

My suitcases sit out in my room where they’ve sat for 11/2 years waiting to get packed again. I haven’t had the heart to put them away. My grandsons birthday gift was a suitcase packed with gift cards and goodies for that trip. It’s in my closet, untouched all this time. I don’t even remember now all that was in there. So yes, cancelling now would be incredibly difficult and I can’t deal with telling him again that we aren’t going.

And Disney could fix it all with literally a flip of a switch. We can deal with no shows, no parades, limited dining, limited hours, limited park hopping. It’s not too much to ask that we not spend hours in the heat standing in lines that are now hitting 3 hours.

As a mother to a sophomore in college - GO & enjoy the time with your son! He sounds like our only - laid back, go with the flow type who still loves being around us. he is in the same town as us at university (lived on campus last year during Covid restriction) and....it's just not the same without him here at home. Trust me - you can't imagine what it's like to lose your baby to the 'grown up' world. Give him this if it's what he truly wants & just try to enjoy being able to be together & thankful you CAN do this for him.

I get it...it’s what I am looking forwar

well said...A feeling of being in vacation “limbo”...really hard to get too excited.

Go! After canceling a May trip in 2020, we went for it last Christmas 2020. My son graduated from college in December. He has high functioning autism (Asperger's). My husband and I went back and forth on our decision. With no graduation ceremony, lots of hand sanitizer, and many masks, we went for it. We made so many memories and truly did things we wouldn't have thought of doing.

Go! Seasoned FP+ and DDP WDW fans here because of all of the reading on this group and others. After canceling a May trip in 2020, we went for it last Christmas 2020. My son graduated from college in December. He has high functioning autism (Asperger's). It meant so much to him to just celebrate. My husband and I went back and forth on our decision. With no graduation ceremony, lots of hand sanitizer, and many masks, we went for it. We made so many memories and truly did things we wouldn't have thought of doing. We did things we never usually do. We had a really good family vacation without FP+, fireworks, and shows. Loved the cavalcades! And were moved by the quietness of the castle and the people in the hub just happy to be there. Yes, it is way more crowded now. My husband and I are going for 2 days in 2 weeks. We plan on rolling the dice and just enjoying our time together. And of course, rope drop!

According to this, Disney increased capacity YET AGAIN yesterday.

https://blogmickey.com/2021/07/disney-world-replenishes-park-passes-for-july/
Just so, so frustrating.

My thoughts on what they're doing: increase capacity as much as they can without giving us FP+, waiting until the feedback becomes sooooo negative, that they can then drop a new paid system on us like it's some big favor (and they will of course try to spin it like it's better than before), to help with the crowds. Obviously in time for the 50th.

My thoughts on what they're doing: increase capacity as much as they can without giving us FP+, waiting until the feedback becomes sooooo negative, that they can then drop a new paid system on us like it's some big favor, to help with the crowds. Obviously in time for the 50th.
That’s actually one of the most logical reasons for what they’re doing I’ve read. I keep asking myself why they’d refuse to bring FP back and this makes sense. Make it so miserable that we’ll be glad to get their pay to play system. It works. I’m already there.

My thoughts on what they're doing: increase capacity as much as they can without giving us FP+, waiting until the feedback becomes sooooo negative, that they can then drop a new paid system on us like it's some big favor (and they will of course try to spin it like it's better than before), to help with the crowds. Obviously in time for the 50th.
I agree they want to be the HERO and ride in and save us with Paid FP, It again shows how little they really value Disney Parks customers.

If the switch was ready to flip, surely they'd just flip it?
I think the switch to reinstate fastpass+ is ready to flip. But they won’t pull it.

According to the reports from our erstwhile insider, the switch to the new paid system isn’t ready yet. Too many IT glitches.
Plus, Disney seems committed to holding off everything until the 50th, even it it means making summer guests suffer.

I think the switch to reinstate fastpass+ is ready to flip. But they won’t pull it.

According to the reports from our erstwhile insider, the switch to the new paid system isn’t ready yet. Too many IT glitches.
Plus, Disney seems committed to holding off everything until the 50th, even it it means making summer guests suffer.

Agreed the fulcrum in all of this is the looming 50th. I believe if it weren't for the 50th at the very least we would get some transparency. I don't know if they don't want the negative press looming over the event or what(I am including AP announcement changes even if it's just a price hike).

When would be the best time for them to slide these widely unpopular changes in? Right after Halloween? Or even wait till after New Years? Only Chapek knows.

That’s actually one of the most logical reasons for what they’re doing I’ve read. I keep asking myself why they’d refuse to bring FP back and this makes sense. Make it so miserable that we’ll be glad to get their pay to play system. It works. I’m already there.

Totally agree ! I was SOOOO against paying for FPs, but we leave tomorrow, and right now--- I would gladly pay for them !!! Just seeing a 3-hr wait time for FoP !!! I already had a talk with my kids-- (10 and 15). - This IS going to be a different kind of trip--- they are not really "we must go on the rides" type, but there are some that we really do enjoy ! Me--- just give me Food & Wine and the World Showcase all day, and I am good !! We will be doing more of everything else, and less park time--- Mini-golf, Splitsville, a little resort hopping--- Booked some restaurants outside of the parks, some new, some that we just love-

Cant wait to try "Sebastians" and walk around CBR for a bit--- Booked the Wave Bfast (cant wait to try--- always love the dinner) at the CG- Booked Kona dinner to see the fireworks from the Poly Beach--- Going to check out AMC Dine---
Beaches & Cream, Sci- Fi... always faves of ours---
And of course--- pool time !!

Rides will definitely be taking a backseat-

Totally agree ! I was SOOOO against paying for FPs, but we leave tomorrow, and right now--- I would gladly pay for them !!! Just seeing a 3-hr wait time for FoP !!! I already had a talk with my kids-- (10 and 15). - This IS going to be a different kind of trip--- they are not really "we must go on the rides" type, but there are some that we really do enjoy ! Me--- just give me Food & Wine and the World Showcase all day, and I am good !! We will be doing more of everything else, and less park time--- Mini-golf, Splitsville, a little resort hopping--- Booked some restaurants outside of the parks, some new, some that we just love-

Cant wait to try "Sebastians" and walk around CBR for a bit--- Booked the Wave Bfast (cant wait to try--- always love the dinner) at the CG- Booked Kona dinner to see the fireworks from the Poly Beach--- Going to check out AMC Dine---
Beaches & Cream, Sci- Fi... always faves of ours---
And of course--- pool time !!

Rides will definitely be taking a backseat-

Sounds like a wonderful vacation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter