State of Fast Pass Return (or replacement)

Status
Not open for further replies.
WDW has suspended FP+. Insiders (who have been correct in the past) say FP+ is not coming back.

While I agree with you, I think a more accurate statement is that it's not Disney's intention or preference to bring FP+ back. However, due to issues with rolling out the new system(s), they might have to resort to Plan Z and fall on their sword by bringing it back. Regardless, they certainly aren't going to release a new system into the wild that can't function properly.

He also said he thinks FP+ is coming back. And I strongly believe that's not happening. So I'll have to wait and see what I think of his reports. Nothing personal. Just skeptical.
He seems to have more insight than the average poster. Disney can't possibly begin the 50th anniversary celebration without some kind of FastPass offering. Especially considering Universal is using Express Pass flawlessly and has been since reopening. And there have been reports on this board (outside Remy is Up) of "FastPass" tests being conducted by cast members in the park.

I posted this on another board but I thought I'd say it here as well. I just don't think the premier pass makes sense for a long term destination like WDW. If you were were going to Universal or DL for a couple of days, sure, pony up the cash. But at WDW where you are going to be for a week to 10 days...I dont see it. Not saying they would make additional passes available for purchase, but I don't see a full blown paid ride system.

Counterpoint: I think because we here go for super long trips that we assume nobody does just go for a day or two. I think a ton of people actually do that.

While I agree with you, I think a more accurate statement is that it's not Disney's intention or preference to bring FP+ back. However, due to issues with rolling out the new system(s), they might have to resort to Plan Z and fall on their sword by bringing it back. Regardless, they certainly aren't going to release a new system into the wild that can't function properly.
I think bringing free FP+ back now for the short term, with the intention of replacing it soon after with paid FP, would be a PR disaster.

I think bringing free FP+ back now for the short term, with the intention of replacing it soon after with paid FP, would be a PR disaster.
I feel the same way. Short term people will be happy but I think it will end up upsetting a lot more people if they go that route.

60 days out, on-site guests could book fastpasses. You get 3 per day at the same park.

Yea, that requires such intracate knowledge and really compares to the tax system as a whole. Totally see that.
Its more that people don't always understand the loopholes that allow some to get 12+ per day, while others struggle to get 5-6. The 1st 3 are easy. Its the rest of them that they are referring to. You know what's interesting to me here? The way that those who know how to exploit the loopholes and the strategies talk down to those who bring up the issues with the system like those who didn't just know about those things automatically or those who struggle with them are idiots or somehow undeserving of those same fastpasses. Not everyone spends a great deal of time on these boards and knows the tricks to pounding the app or the times for drops or that you can even get more than 3. I think the point of the post you were responding to is that it should not take that much research or time spent of these boards to know these things exist or are possible. It shouldn't be a thing you have to research and practice. It should just be something Disney was up front about. And the whole "well I knew about it and got all these so easily and never had to make a spreadsheet or do anything ahead of time" responses does not make that true for everyone else and its kind of condescending

Editing to say I shouldn't say loopholes bc they aren't really loopholes, just strategies that take some researching to find out about.

Last edited:
I posted this on another board but I thought I'd say it here as well. I just don't think the premier pass makes sense for a long term destination like WDW. If you were were going to Universal or DL for a couple of days, sure, pony up the cash. But at WDW where you are going to be for a week to 10 days...I dont see it. Not saying they would make additional passes available for purchase, but I don't see a full blown paid ride system.
100% agree with this. Here's what I posted on another thread to illustrate this very point.

California = FastPass (paper) and MaxPass since Jan 2017 (digital). A predominantly local audience. 20 attractions available. Two parks at the resort. A free option and a low cost digital option. Both allow same day access to passes.

Tokyo = FastPass (Digital and paper) and Standby Virtual Queues. 18 attractions available. A predominately local audience. Two parks at the resort. Resort guests can get a set number of paper “anytime, any attraction” passes as part of booking a package. Both allow same day access to passes. Standby virtual queue works in the same way as Rise of the Resistance boarding passes. A virtual queue that uses a lottery system. Not all guests that want to access can, but it is random chance.

Shanghai = Disney Premier Access since Mar 2017. 8 attractions available. A local and tourist audience. One park at the resort. A single pass is 120 Chinese Yuan or about $18 USD. A pass set of 8 for 660 Chinese Yuan or about $100 USD. Allows only same day access.

Hong Kong = FastPass (paper). A local and tourist audience. 3 attractions available. One park at the resort. Scan your ticket at kiosks at the attractions and obtain a paper FastPass. Free to access. Same day access only.

Paris = Disney Premier Access and Standby Virtual Queues. 10 attractions available. A local and tourist audience. Two parks at the resort. Passes will now cost between 8-15 euro ($9.50 - 18 USD) per attraction. Free standby virtual queues will be available as well.

Florida = Unsure. Previously FastPass+ (Digital). A predominantly tourist audience. 65 attractions available. Four parks at the resort. Resort guests could book 60 days in advance. Annual pass holders and day guests could book 30 days in advance.

No two properties use the same system. Not even Shanghai and Paris, as DPA is different at each park.Looking at those options: WDW is an entirely different resort than any of the other properties worldwide. WDW has a staggering 65 attractions on FastPass, and this doesn't include Rise of the Resistance, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure and the upcoming attractions like Tron & Guardians. The property with the next most attractions on FastPass is Disneyland with 20. WDW has nearly 3.5 times the attractions available on FastPass. There's just no way to implement a purely "pay per ride" system for that many rides without seriously alienating guests. Extra passes for purchase? Absolutely.

Agreed. Plus if Disney had actually "killed" FastPass+ they would have stripped all references to it on the site and app by now. They also wouldn't list it as "temporarily suspended" but rather "discontinued" etc.

100% agree with this. Here's what I posted on another thread to illustrate this very point.

California = FastPass (paper) and MaxPass since Jan 2017 (digital). A predominantly local audience. 20 attractions available. Two parks at the resort. A free option and a low cost digital option. Both allow same day access to passes.

Tokyo = FastPass (Digital and paper) and Standby Virtual Queues. 18 attractions available. A predominately local audience. Two parks at the resort. Resort guests can get a set number of paper “anytime, any attraction” passes as part of booking a package. Both allow same day access to passes. Standby virtual queue works in the same way as Rise of the Resistance boarding passes. A virtual queue that uses a lottery system. Not all guests that want to access can, but it is random chance.

Shanghai = Disney Premier Access since Mar 2017. 8 attractions available. A local and tourist audience. One park at the resort. A single pass is 120 Chinese Yuan or about $18 USD. A pass set of 8 for 660 Chinese Yuan or about $100 USD. Allows only same day access.

Hong Kong = FastPass (paper). A local and tourist audience. 3 attractions available. One park at the resort. Scan your ticket at kiosks at the attractions and obtain a paper FastPass. Free to access. Same day access only.

Paris = Disney Premier Access and Standby Virtual Queues. 10 attractions available. A local and tourist audience. Two parks at the resort. Passes will now cost between 8-15 euro ($9.50 - 18 USD) per attraction. Free standby virtual queues will be available as well.

Florida = Unsure. Previously FastPass+ (Digital). A predominantly tourist audience. 65 attractions available. Four parks at the resort. Resort guests could book 60 days in advance. Annual pass holders and day guests could book 30 days in advance.

No two properties use the same system. Not even Shanghai and Paris, as DPA is different at each park.Looking at those options: WDW is an entirely different resort than any of the other properties worldwide. WDW has a staggering 65 attractions on FastPass, and this doesn't include Rise of the Resistance, Remy's Ratatouille Adventure and the upcoming attractions like Tron & Guardians. The property with the next most attractions on FastPass is Disneyland with 20. WDW has nearly 3.5 times the attractions available on FastPass. There's just no way to implement a purely "pay per ride" system for that many rides without seriously alienating guests. Extra passes for purchase? Absolutely.

Couldn't agree more.

With 4 parks spread out over a large area, trips are much more likely to be longer at WDW. There's a reason they sell 10 day tickets at WDW but only 5 at DLR.
I hear you. But don't forget that a lot of people go to Florida and just take one day of their overall vacation to go to one Disney park.

I hear you. But don't forget that a lot of people go to Florida and just take one day of their overall vacation to go to one Disney park.
Sure. We just did that a couple weeks ago. But I doubt that's a large portion of their guests.

I wonder, though, if they will somehow tie a free FP+ benefit to direct ownership. Thereby removing possibility of it being used by resale/renters. That could cause some angst for sure.
I'm not sure how they could separate out the white cards reservations from the blue card reservations or even reservations which were made with a mixture of points from both. Nor could they ascertain who is a "renter" or who is a "guest" of the DVC member given that DVC itself does not request any kind of documentation when a member makes a reservation for someone other than themselves.

My feeling is that any free FP-type benefit will be a function of where you rest your head at night and not what color the card is that you carry in your wallet, or whether you even possess one at all.

From my analyst:

Disney World WILL do something that will be "additive"...meaning it will cost more. She just doesn't know at this point what it will automatically look like.

I honestly don't have a clue. :flower1: :lmao:
And this is why I facetiously called it "Plan Z", lol. It's not their choice, but they can't/won't put a new system out that can't function and they need to manage the increasing capacity, particularly for year end. I think many people would gladly accept FP+ at this point so they can at least have an idea of what to expect and how to plan; even if it's with the caveat that a new system is coming, IMO.

They have screwed staying on property, they should add it as a on property perk since staying on site is not really worth it anymore. Without it, why stay on property with no DME or Extra Magic Hours.

Its more that people don't always understand the loopholes that allow some to get 12+ per day, while others struggle to get 5-6. The 1st 3 are easy. Its the rest of them that they are referring to. You know what's interesting to me here? The way that those who know how to exploit the loopholes and the strategies talk down to those who bring up the issues with the system like those who didn't just know about those things automatically or those who struggle with them are idiots or somehow undeserving of those same fastpasses. Not everyone spends a great deal of time on these boards and knows the tricks to pounding the app or the times for drops or that you can even get more than 3. I think the point of the post you were responding to is that it should not take that much research or time spent of these boards to know these things exist or are possible. It shouldn't be a thing you have to research and practice. It should just be something Disney was up front about. And the whole "well I knew about it and got all these so easily and never had to make a spreadsheet or do anything ahead of time" responses does not make that true for everyone else and its kind of condescending
I've often joked that you need a college level class on disney planning to plan some of these vacations...

They have screwed staying on property, they should add it as a on property perk since staying on site is not really worth it anymore. Without it, why stay on property with no DME or Extra Magic Hours.
Technically there is still extra time in the park offered as a benefit (starting Oct 1st). All resort guests can access ANY park 30 mins early every day. Deluxe & DVC can access select parks on select nights for an undetermined amount of time after closing. That is a benefit to staying onsite. Is it the same as the previous Extra Magic Hours? No. But it hasn't been completely done away with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter