• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Starting to worry about our trip in May!

You can absolutely use a late day genie+ stacking approach without hopping. That said we have always been hoppers. We like the ability to eat dinner and explore at Epcot after spending the day at a different park. We like that we can make evening plans on a whim. We like that we can plan around weather last minute. Hopping isn't for everyone, but it definitely works for us.
Thank you! I had been assuming it was a personal preference thing but thought I had better check. :)

We have done 2 trips recently (got to use those APs)—one over Spring Break mid March and just returned from Easter weekend. Everyday of our trip in March and April were sold out days, and honestly it was crowded but not as bad as I thought. Lines do build very quickly in the morning, so doing early entry, taking a break mid day, and staying late were very helpful. I never got the “omg, I can’t move because of a crush of people”. We dont watch the MK fireworks in front of the castle so maybe that helped. Doing Genie was very helpful—I think our longest wait over the 8 days we have spent in the parks since March was 40 minutes (and we ride a lot of stuff). We rode everything and saw everything we wanted, even multiple times which I did not expect. Park hopping is also a great option if you aren’t feeling the crowds at one—just hop in the afternoon!

I see this advice quite often and I am wondering if there is a particular significance to adding Hoppers that I am missing? Could I do the same thing and stay in one park ? I would show up for Early entry and use standby for the morning .I would stack all of my Genie+ for the evening, take a mid day break and come back to the same park in the evening.

I’m just wondering if I am missing something by not hopping or is that just individual preference?

I think it’s a plus with hoppers because you know your LL will not be until after 2. Whereas if you stay in one park it may be harder to do a break because you can’t choose your time for your LL.

I haven’t paid much attention to return times in the morning though when you can book your next. If you book one right at 7 then the park opens 9, at 11 I would guess you should be ok to find something that is for after 2/3. Every park should have at least one ride with a later return time. I’d look at wait times leading up to your trip at the different booking times to see if you’d be able to fit in a break.

I think it’s a plus with hoppers because you know your LL will not be until after 2. Whereas if you stay in one park it may be harder to do a break because you can’t choose your time for your LL.

I haven’t paid much attention to return times in the morning though when you can book your next. If you book one right at 7 then the park opens 9, at 11 I would guess you should be ok to find something that is for after 2/3. Every park should have at least one ride with a later return time. I’d look at wait times leading up to your trip at the different booking times to see if you’d be able to fit in a break.
The after 2pm thing is an advantage. I think you’re right, this will require some studying in the app to see if it’s possible. Thanks.

We just went the week leading up to Easter, 4/10-4/14. It was extremely busy, but we rode just about every ride (except GE ones since we’d done them in California), and I think our longest wait was 25 minutes. We got Genie + and made the best of it.

We were at a Disney Springs hotel, so we got early entry, but could not buy the ILL until park opening. We never could buy one, they were always sold out. But that was OK because we rope dropped those rides. We got to each park an hour before early entry (except AK day, that day just 20 minutes before) and had an amazing time.

Try not to let the sold out status worry you. We had an amazing trip!

The after 2pm thing is an advantage. I think you’re right, this will require some studying in the app to see if it’s possible. Thanks.
As pens4821 pointed out, one park stacking will require focusing on the rides that go to late LLs early in the day. I would watch the patterns for JC and PP in MK, SDD and MFSR in HS, TT and FEA in Epcot. Enjoy the research!

ETA
This post introduces some strategies-
Post in thread 'Everything Genie, Genie+ and Individual Lightning Lane - Please Read Posts 1-7' https://www.disboards.com/threads/e...e-please-read-posts-1-7.3856734/post-63463217

Last edited:
We just went the week leading up to Easter, 4/10-4/14. It was extremely busy, but we rode just about every ride (except GE ones since we’d done them in California), and I think our longest wait was 25 minutes. We got Genie + and made the best of it.

We were at a Disney Springs hotel, so we got early entry, but could not buy the ILL until park opening. We never could buy one, they were always sold out. But that was OK because we rope dropped those rides. We got to each park an hour before early entry (except AK day, that day just 20 minutes before) and had an amazing time.

Try not to let the sold out status worry you. We had an amazing trip!
An hour before early entry. Whew. AK early entry will be 7am I don’t think I can convince my family to get there at 6am!

Disney is not going to reveal what capacity it has set for its parks, or how many persons are booked for each park per day. but it's a given that the current capacity they set for each park is somewhere below the legal capacity allowed by fire codes. It'll be busy, probably busier than you are used to, but it won't be like the worst possible crowd day out there.

if you don't have park reservations for May now, you should think about getting them ASAP.

Disney is not going to reveal what capacity it has set for its parks, or how many persons are booked for each park per day. but it's a given that the current capacity they set for each park is somewhere below the legal capacity allowed by fire codes. It'll be busy, probably busier than you are used to, but it won't be like the worst possible crowd day out there.

if you don't have park reservations for May now, you should think about getting them ASAP.

We have our reservations. Got them a long time ago :)

Expect 'normal Disney busy', not 'wall-to-wall crowded' busy, like Christmas week. We were there for a day during Spring week last month and also a week during Fall break. While busy, you could still move around. As you you know to expect some lines, you should be fine.

So we have a trip booked May 4-8, I chose these dates instead of spring break in hopes that the crowds would be at least a tad lower but that isn't going to happen because everyday and every park were going to minus AK on Sat is sold out (as of right now). So basically the same thing as being there on a holiday. I know that there is no real low time anymore and so many people are making up trips, but Im just so concerned how crowded it will be. Im seeing videos etc recently and its just wall to wall people. I can handle the long times for rides but goodness when you can't even walk because its so many people that is concerning. I just wish Disney would take that into consideration. Im trying not to worry too much but Im def starting to stress out. Id really like to know what capacity is because I find it hard to believe it not basically pre covid, I think theres def more people in the parks now everyday then prior. Any advice or anyone there recently to ease my mind some. Def am not complaining about going because Im so grateful just concerned. Its an expensive trip and Im hoping its magical for my kids.
We will be there Memorial Day weekend and the following week. I am very nervous too! Especially now that Guardians is opening that weekend. We are Disney World Vets, but for the first time we will have extended family with us that have never been so that's adding an extra layer of trepidation! I finally had to just stop stressing out about it (as much as possible) tell myself we won't get everything done but we will get a lot done, and just remember that our attitudes about it will probably set the tone. So anyway, just wanted to say I feel your pain but I really think we'll both still have amazing trips! Good luck to you!

We got to AK at 6:40 for a 7:00 opening and it was fine. We were among the first on FOP.
Ok thats about the time I was thinking, I mean you'd think at 6:55 there would not a stampede of people to get in but you never know with Disney HA. Is there a separate area that you go to for early entry? Im assuming with a normal 7:30 rope drop there will be tons of other people waiting for that time.

We just got back for a trip over Easter weekend and actually found the crowds to be a lot less than we expected. All parks were "sold out" for our days there and since we only booked tickets and park reservations about 3 weeks before (last minute trip to visit our daughter who is working in the Disney College Program) we were only able to get park reservations to EPCOT for Friday and Saturday, and AK on Sunday. EPCOT was busy with the F&G festival, but we found the wait times on Friday to be manageable. Our longest wait that day was in the afternoon to ride ToT and that was 50 minutes. We did the Remy ride shortly after rope drop and only waited about 38 minutes with a posted wait time of 85 min. We found this to be the case throughout the day, wait times were largely overstated. We had originally planned to "hop" over to HS in the afternoon, but were scared of the long wait times we were seeing on the app (all major rides were between 75 - 100 min). We ended up staying at EPCOT all day. On Saturday we started later at EPCOT since we had just been there and did a few shows in the World Showcase that we wanted to see, then had lunch. After looking at the app and seeing the same type of wait times at HS as the day before, we were again hesitant to "hop" over. But, we decided to do it anyway. When we got to HS around 3:00pm and walked into the park I told my wife there was no way in the world that the wait times were what was listed. I've been in HS when it is crowded and this was nothing compared to that. Decided to try RnR with an 80 min wait. Wait was actually 41 min. Went to TSM with 70 min list, actual as 32 min. Did Slinky with a 95 min listed wait, actual was 42 min. MMRR was listed at 75, actual was 45. Hit ToT with a 95 min list, actual was 37 min.

Not sure why the over inflated wait times, but they were very obvious if you have been the number of times we had. You could just tell by the length of the lines. Found the same at AK and MK on Sunday (although MK was much closer to the accurate wait times for Spland and SM). We hit FoP at 1:30pm with a list of 85 min and actually waited 36 min. There was an intentional overstatement all weekend long, and while parks were "sold out" there were no where near the normal amount of people in the parks. It is very obvious that parks are running at a reduced capacity. Now, I am guessing that is primarily due to staffing issues. I know my daughter has told us that they are bringing in more college kids every week, but their coordinators are telling them they are still short staffed in most places. Looks like the park reservations are strictly in place as this point to control the crowd size well below normal levels.

I wouldn't worry about a trip at this point. Go with the standard thoughts. It will be busy, lines can be long, but it is not going to ruin my fun.

Gird your loins. We will be there that week too and expect 2019 and prior Christmas week level crowds. That's how it was first week in December which was a historically pleasant week. It was a nightmare and frankly every week since has been too. We watch all the vloggers. We read the boards.

Just understand that you will be a salmon swimming upstream everywhere you go.

I went last week and everyday was sold out but felt it was manageable. Honestly the best days were the weekend days. Did flower and garden last Saturday and thought it was going to be the worst day but actually had minimal weights for food after 2pm when we hopped there. Yes walkways we’re crowded but I felt like lines for rides were doable. It is hot so plan on a break somewhere. I tried to do either a reservation or quick service in the ac. Character interactions are back so hopefully the magic will be in full force.

I see this advice quite often and I am wondering if there is a particular significance to adding Hoppers that I am missing? Could I do the same thing and stay in one park ? I would show up for Early entry and use standby for the morning .I would stack all of my Genie+ for the evening, take a mid day break and come back to the same park in the evening.

I’m just wondering if I am missing something by not hopping or is that just individual preference?
This is my plan too!

We just got back for a trip over Easter weekend and actually found the crowds to be a lot less than we expected. All parks were "sold out" for our days there and since we only booked tickets and park reservations about 3 weeks before (last minute trip to visit our daughter who is working in the Disney College Program) we were only able to get park reservations to EPCOT for Friday and Saturday, and AK on Sunday. EPCOT was busy with the F&G festival, but we found the wait times on Friday to be manageable. Our longest wait that day was in the afternoon to ride ToT and that was 50 minutes. We did the Remy ride shortly after rope drop and only waited about 38 minutes with a posted wait time of 85 min. We found this to be the case throughout the day, wait times were largely overstated. We had originally planned to "hop" over to HS in the afternoon, but were scared of the long wait times we were seeing on the app (all major rides were between 75 - 100 min). We ended up staying at EPCOT all day. On Saturday we started later at EPCOT since we had just been there and did a few shows in the World Showcase that we wanted to see, then had lunch. After looking at the app and seeing the same type of wait times at HS as the day before, we were again hesitant to "hop" over. But, we decided to do it anyway. When we got to HS around 3:00pm and walked into the park I told my wife there was no way in the world that the wait times were what was listed. I've been in HS when it is crowded and this was nothing compared to that. Decided to try RnR with an 80 min wait. Wait was actually 41 min. Went to TSM with 70 min list, actual as 32 min. Did Slinky with a 95 min listed wait, actual was 42 min. MMRR was listed at 75, actual was 45. Hit ToT with a 95 min list, actual was 37 min.

Not sure why the over inflated wait times, but they were very obvious if you have been the number of times we had. You could just tell by the length of the lines. Found the same at AK and MK on Sunday (although MK was much closer to the accurate wait times for Spland and SM). We hit FoP at 1:30pm with a list of 85 min and actually waited 36 min. There was an intentional overstatement all weekend long, and while parks were "sold out" there were no where near the normal amount of people in the parks. It is very obvious that parks are running at a reduced capacity. Now, I am guessing that is primarily due to staffing issues. I know my daughter has told us that they are bringing in more college kids every week, but their coordinators are telling them they are still short staffed in most places. Looks like the park reservations are strictly in place as this point to control the crowd size well below normal levels.

I wouldn't worry about a trip at this point. Go with the standard thoughts. It will be busy, lines can be long, but it is not going to ruin my fun.

Thanks we have hoppers so we'll def use those and using Genie+. I Went early December and it was fine but thinking they are letting more people in now. Im not surprised about the inflated wait times bc they were doing that before but thought they were more accurate now with the crowds.

We were there 2 weeks ago. It was busy, but not as bad as we expected.
The worst lines, as expected were FoP, RoTR if you didn't get there early or do ILL$.
ToT also was long as 1 side was shut down. We did that early and the line wasn't bad.
Most waiting time posts were about double what they really were. Except Jungle Cruise said 35 minutes and was 70. By then, we'd been in line too long to leave.

So we have a trip booked May 4-8, I chose these dates instead of spring break in hopes that the crowds would be at least a tad lower but that isn't going to happen because everyday and every park were going to minus AK on Sat is sold out (as of right now). So basically the same thing as being there on a holiday. I know that there is no real low time anymore and so many people are making up trips, but Im just so concerned how crowded it will be. Im seeing videos etc recently and its just wall to wall people. I can handle the long times for rides but goodness when you can't even walk because its so many people that is concerning. I just wish Disney would take that into consideration. Im trying not to worry too much but Im def starting to stress out. Id really like to know what capacity is because I find it hard to believe it not basically pre covid, I think theres def more people in the parks now everyday then prior. Any advice or anyone there recently to ease my mind some. Def am not complaining about going because Im so grateful just concerned. Its an expensive trip and Im hoping its magical for my kids.
If you go into a WDW trip thinking "I spent a lot of money - this better be perfect and amazing and everything I thought it would be" you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.

It's going to be crowded. WDW is almost always crowded.

It's going to be hot and it's likely going to rain every day.

You are not going to be able to do every single thing you want to do and that's OK.

If you go into the trip expecting these three things, you will likely have a great time. It's all about planning your trip and then managing you and your families expectations.

I have been to WDW 9 times in the last 12 years. I have been there through all kinds of weather and crowds. I've been there in January when it was 80 degrees and we were in the pool and I have been there in June when it was rainy and chilly. I have been there for opening weekend of Pandora and you couldn't move and other trips we would have sections of the parks where we didn't see any other guests. Each trip had some good things and some bad things. It's all what you make of it.

If you want to avoid crowds I always suggest arriving at least 1 hour before park opens, doing as much as you can the first 2-3 hours, leave in the middle of the day when crowds are high and then come back in the evening. If you want to stay all day, plan to do some sit down and slow down attractions in the middle of the day like the big shows.

Relax and have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter