Starting to be a little nervous about solo trip

You are staying @ POFQ and I've read that the Scat Cat bar there has live entertainment - seems like a perfect way to unwind in a social setting @ the end of a day and then stroll to your room. Also, I find the jacuzzi/hot tubs tend to generate conversations - depending on the mix. And during the day, while you are roaming, take a moment to really people watch, you won't have to look far to see those together but not happy about it. There's so much to see and do just feel the freedom and enjoy it.

As you are feeling now, I was experiencing last March before my first solo trip. As soon as the plane taxied to the gate in MCO, my fears were gone.

I stayed at POFQ which I adored. A perfect resort to navigate when you are solo. The CM's were ALL excellent and I felt completely safe every moment of the trip. I was too tired at the end of the days to make it to Scat Cats, but I saw lots of folks having a grand time while I passed by.

Pack light, so you don't have to lug heavy bags with you. I also signed up for the Keys to the Kingdom tour which was wonderful and you are with a group of Disney loving people so there is lots to talk about!

I was up at the crack of dawn, went to get my coffee and start my day. Traveling the parks solo is a breeze, not to mention the single rider lines!

Have a wonderful time and do what makes YOU smile!

Why don't you do your trip report then? You can share with all of us and we never tire of hearing and discussing Disney. I was solo for the mornings on our trip as DH slept in and it felt odd at first but then I started taking pictures and it was fun going where I wanted when I wanted and I rode Winnie the Pooh back to back and watched the Country Bear Jamboree and danced with the Move it, Shake it, Celebrate it parade/party. All things I would not have done had DH been with me. I took a few pics on my phone too and sent them to friends and family of me in front of Cinderella castle on main street.

****I am feeling the same way. My first solo trip is in 32 days . I am a stay at home mom (2 kids, 2 dogs, hubby and a pt job in reatail) who doesn't get a moments peace to myself at any point in any day, and I am waiting on someone all day long. So I decided that for my 40th bday gift I wanted to go to celebrate it in Disney...which is my happy place. I couldn't find a friend or babysitter to take my hubby so I am going solo***

It sounds a shame.. our stories sound so similar, yet the trips don't coinside..(but maybe that's the whole point to this, right!;))
I've been a stay home mom for 20yrs (dd's 20 & 15) and have recently taken on a pt retail job which I really love (getting nervous about holiday season though)..

After planning so many Disney trips and trying to make everyone happy, this is something I've always wanted to experience. I'm turning 49 the weekend after my return, so between having my own income after 20yrs, plus the scary place of what's to come after 49, I just decided it was time to reclaim myself and DO THIS THING!!! It's basically 3 days, so it's not like I'm abandoning my family...just some time to celebrate.. and perhaps come home being a better wife and mom:love:

Yes, I'm nervous about the flight, etc... but that's all part of the adventure and what I need to prove to myself (and others) that yes, I CAN in fact do some things for myself!

I love going to the parks alone. so much freedom, and a lot of times you get into places faster because you're alone. you'll be fine, the magic alone will make you forget all your worries

I wish I could have gone with you!! If I wasn't going in Jan, I would have went for sure.

Just make sure you facebook a bunch so I can live vicariously through your trip!:thumbsup2

my first was in aug '08 at POFQ

my advice would be just to be as friendly as you can, all the CM's love to chat, and i've had many good experiences in lines or buses or the monorail making small talk with families and couples.

my favorite place to go and feel welcome is the rose & crown in the united kingdom. grab a cocktail at the bar, smile to your neighbor and the conversation will start freely! i also love walking right outside to watch the beatles tribute band. also, don't forget jellyrolls or the espn club. i also had a very nice time at the wave in CR.

sure, there were times i felt a little out of place (i felt really weird when i went to typhoon lagoon alone) but being in the happiest place on earth totally offsets!

you can go at your pace, see what you want when you want, and take a ton of pictures so all of us can see!

have an awesome time!

Please do not worry, you went over the first hurdle by making the decision and ressies!!!
I just returned from a solo trip, which was...wow...there's nothing like it. I did all my favorites in the 4 parks in 2 days and 2 more days resort hopping and fine dining and Spa's- my best trip yet! Before I had 2 days @ Universal, 1 with a friend which was also great, but to get the most out of your time, solo is the way to go!

My next trip however, I want to take my little nephew!

This will be my 4th trip solo since my husband died and first time not staying at AKL so I feel some of your apprehension. Going solo is great as all have said. I found it fun to some days just get on what ever bus came first and take off for the day. The nice thing about solo is you can stop and people watch, eat when you want and even take a nap if you desire without offending anyone.
Also, I started out like you and only tried counter service and that soon got tiresome. I found that eating in any of the sit down restaurants wasn't as bad as I thought and now enjoy character meals and even the California Grill alone. I really haven't felt awkward after the first meal as, as I looked around the room I saw several others alone as well.

Going solo is the best! I went solo in Sept (DH refused to come with me) and boy, did he ever miss out. I met some of the nicest people and did things I've never done before--I went parasailing, fishing, jet skiing, and also went on a tour. I shopped to my hearts content and was able to buy things without someone asking why I needed that. I ate in the castle and where ever and when ever I wanted. I went to La Nouba.

The water park was lots of fun and I didn't have to drag anyone along or try to convince them to try something (and beg and plead) or say I wanted to stay longer.

In HS I took the drawing class once, then a second time and a third time. I traded pins with cast members and had nice chats. I was never lonely or short on things to do. In short, all I can say is that I don't know if I'll ever be able to top that trip. It was spectacular!

I was amazed at how many other women were traveling alone. We struck up conversations on the transportation and shared our adventures. On the monorail I met a woman from England and I told her I was by myself because DH refused to come. She asked her two daughters if they heard that. She wants her daughters to be independent and not miss out on things.

It's a whole different world when you travel by yourself. Make sure you take a camera as well. I was surprised at how many people offered to take a picture of me with my camera in a scenic spot. I'm going to make up a photo book of my adventures and now I have some pictures of what I did with me in them.

I think that Disney is one of the best places for a solo trip. The CMs are great, and so are the guests. So go and enjoy! You're going to have a great trip.

You'll have a great time! :) My first solo, i was also nervous, but i soon was having the time of my life! Now I have 6 trips solo under my belt! So i guess, i liked it! hehe Really, everybody is always so nice... from the CMs to the guests. You can do what you want, when you want! Take advantage of the single rider lines; and eating solo, I usually bring a pen and paper with me, and journal, or just play with my phone, or just have the maps out and plan what my day or evening will entail. You will have such a Magical Trip!! Really!!

Thank you guys, reading through this thread has really made me excited about December!

I posted on the Dec meet thread, but in case anyone is interested in meeting up here are my ADRs. I'm looking forward to meeting new DISers at the parks! (All are for four people)

Sunday, December 5th (before MVMCP if anyone is interested in party company) - Boma @ 4:35 pm

Monday, December 6th - Kona @ 7:40 am - 1 left

Monday, December 6th - Via Napoli @ 3:10

Tuesday, December 7th - Tusker House lunch @ 11:30

Wednesday, December 8th - La Hacienda de San Angel @ 4:15 (then hoping to catch CP at 6:15 showing if anyone is interested)

I just booked my first solo trip this morning, :cool1: and let me tell you that I have been going back and forth with the idea. I too was suppose to go with a friend but she had to back out. I'm not really nervous about being in the parks bymyself, I am scared :scared1: about the drive alone (trying to make it as afforable as possible). We have the family trip planned for May '11. I am looking forward to not having my 5yr old screaming and crying about not wanting to ride a ride. He loves WDW but not the rides. I am a stay at home mom who just needs a little time to herself.

I am feeling the same way. My first solo trip is in 32 days :eek:. I am a stay at home mom (2 kids, 2 dogs, hubby and a pt job in reatail) who doesn't get a moments peace to myself at any point in any day, and I am waiting on someone all day long. So I decided that for my 40th bday gift I wanted to go to celebrate it in Disney...which is my happy place:love:. I couldn't find a friend or babysitter to take my hubby so I am going solo.

I am feeling very scared about flying alone (god forbid should anything happen) and also scared about leaving the little ones home alone with daddy. Daddy will take great care of them, I just feel guilty that I am going to be enjoying myself without them (we are going as a family in July and they have been there before). I am trying to talk myself out of the guilt as I do nothing for myself (the mom sacrafice) and I deserve the break!!!

I keep thinking of all the shops, shows and pictures I can take without crying, crabbing and asking to go. I also am very excited about the prospect of a meal being warm when I get to eat it...and I can stay seated throughout the entire meal! :laughing:

So as scared as I am about leaving my family, I know once i get to my resort, I will be ok...then when I get through the gate and see the castle I will be crying tears of joy!!!

good luck and you can do it....new adventures are always a great thing!

Well kinda! We are doing a cruise over Christmas but I really want to do the parks before the cruise. My DH has to work and can't get the time off and I don't want to pull my DS out of school because he can't afford to miss the time and I tried to talk a few friend into going but that was a no go. So now I'm left to decide whether I should go for 4 or 5 days alone. (Dec 13 -16) our cruise leaves on the 18 and Dh and Ds will get there the day before.

I'm just worried about flying alone and eating alone - I wonder if I will really enjoy it?

Marcy

I'm just worried about flying alone and eating alone - I wonder if I will really enjoy it?

Take a good book on the airplane and the time will fly by. Waiting for your food to arrive is a wonderful time to look over the park maps and plan your next few hours. Sidewalk cafes are wonderful places to eat alone. Pass the time people watching. If you make your mind up that will have a wonderful time, you will. :wizard:

One thing about going solo is that you can see and hear stuff that flies right by when you're making conversation with companions, trying to keep track of children, rushing to the next attraction, etc. For example, as you move from land to land, listen to the change in background music! It's one of those subtle things you can take the time to appreciate.

On the flip side, if you decide you want to make a certain show and need to hurry to the opposite end of the park, there will be nobody to announce that they're hungry/thirsty/in need of a bathroom. You'll be surprised how much faster you can move when you only have to maneuver yourself through a crowd!

And I highly recommend being completely irresponsible and having dessert at 10 in the morning.

I did my first solo this past Sept and loved it! Did all the rides I've wanted to go
on but couldn't because of kids. Everyone was so nice!! Have a great trip!!

One thing about going solo is that you can see and hear stuff that flies right by when you're making conversation with companions, trying to keep track of children, rushing to the next attraction, etc. For example, as you move from land to land, listen to the change in background music! It's one of those subtle things you can take the time to appreciate.

On the flip side, if you decide you want to make a certain show and need to hurry to the opposite end of the park, there will be nobody to announce that they're hungry/thirsty/in need of a bathroom. You'll be surprised how much faster you can move when you only have to maneuver yourself through a crowd!

And I highly recommend being completely irresponsible and having dessert at 10 in the morning.

OMG I so agree with this!
You are correct about what you miss when conversing with people. you get to hear the changes in the music, the birds singing and a child's excitement when they are experincing the magic for the first time. one of my solo trips I was seated right in front of the castle in the circle and I just looked around, sighed and just let all of my stress go. I didn't have to talk to anyone, express any feeling toward anything or have to answer a BlackBerry. it was my time and though it may sound selfish, I didn't have to share it with anyone if I chose not to. enjoy your solo trip, talk to people if you wish to or take in all the magic you can be a kid again.

You've never done it before, so of course you're a little nervous!

But WDW is the perfect place to have fun:hippie: ENJOY

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter