Starting at Yosemite…WWYD?

We are debating the same situation. We want to do Disneyland and Yosemite/Sequoia. Just still working on logistics of how to get it done

Update 8/16/16-- Well, we've re-mapped our Yosemite portion of the trip. We are now flying into Sacramento so the drive is closer. We land at 10:30 am so I'm hoping to drive over to Calavares Big Trees State Park after we land (I want to see the BIG trees!). Then staying the first night either in Angels Camp or Sonora (thinking of checking out Columbia State Historic Park). Driving to Yosemite Valley the next day and staying 2 nights at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. Then on Monday the 24th, making the long drive to Anaheim and staying the rest of the week at the Grand Californian. Flying home the 29th from SNA instead of LAX so we shouldn't have to fight much traffic. Overall, the flights cost us more to fly to Sacramento and out of Anaheim but we won't have to fight traffic to/from LAX and it cuts our drive to Yosemite to about half. The car rental to pick up at SMF and drop off at SNA dropped significantly in price (originally it was almost $1500 for the week...I've booked it at $350 right now).

Just a tip, leave as early as possible from Sonora/Angels Camp. The drive on 120/Big Oak Flat Rd into Yosemite is pretty and you'll have many opportunities to stop and take pictures - but the parking lots fill quickly so the early you start the better your chances are of finding a spot.

Columbia is fun, if you have children they'll like it.

This probably isn't the most budget friendly idea, but I am visiting both Yosemite end Disneyland in a couple of weeks and I chose to fly into Reno. It is a shorter, more scenic drive to enter Yosemite from Tioga Pass and then exit Wawona to drive to Anaheim (than to and from LA). Again, this would require probably 2 one way tickets that may be more costly but it is probably preferable in terms of scenic driving time. Car rental may be more expensive to do from Reno to LAX also (although I got a smoking deal). I'll let you know how it works for me when I return!
That sounds like a good idea to me. I think that the east side of Yosemite is the best part. There is less people up that way and the views are amazing, but the Valley Floor is pretty awesome also.
As a side note the drive up 395 from the south is pretty scenic also once you get to Lone Pine, and you get to see Mount Whitney.

We have always been Walt Disney World people, but went to California for a robotics tournament for my DD12 at LEGOLAND this past May. Started in San Diego, then Legoland for three days, up to Disneyland for three days, on to San Francisco for three days, then to the Yosemite Valley for two nights, then back to San Diego. My only regret was having to leave Yosemite so quickly. I have seen most of the US, and that park is hard to beat. I am from Arkansas and do not drive in super heavy traffic daily, but none of the driving between the cities was near as bad as I was looking forward to. Cant wait to get back to California!

Update 8/16/16-- Well, we've re-mapped our Yosemite portion of the trip. We are now flying into Sacramento so the drive is closer. We land at 10:30 am so I'm hoping to drive over to Calavares Big Trees State Park after we land (I want to see the BIG trees!). Then staying the first night either in Angels Camp or Sonora (thinking of checking out Columbia State Historic Park). Driving to Yosemite Valley the next day and staying 2 nights at the Yosemite Valley Lodge. Then on Monday the 24th, making the long drive to Anaheim and staying the rest of the week at the Grand Californian. Flying home the 29th from SNA instead of LAX so we shouldn't have to fight much traffic. Overall, the flights cost us more to fly to Sacramento and out of Anaheim but we won't have to fight traffic to/from LAX and it cuts our drive to Yosemite to about half. The car rental to pick up at SMF and drop off at SNA dropped significantly in price (originally it was almost $1500 for the week...I've booked it at $350 right now).

I live in Calaveras County - may I suggest you stay the night in Murphys? It's on your way to Angels Camp from Big Trees. It's a super cool funky artsy town with lots of wineries and great eateries, I highly suggest Alchemy. Then you can take Parrots Ferry road to Columbia, which is totally worth checking out. Angels Camp and Sonora are nothing much to look at, but Murphys sure is!

Bear in mind that it will take you around 2 1/2 hours to drive from the Sacramento Airport to Arnold (where Big Trees is) depending on the day of the week. It's worth taking CA 49 rather than 99, you'll see so much of Gold Country. It would probably be best to do only Big Trees on your arrival day as by the time you get there after getting your car, luggage, and lunch it will be coming on 2 and you'll want several hours there at a minimum. There is a $10 parking fee cash only to keep in mind.

Columbia is awesome with gold panning and such but would most likely take you less time so it would be easier to do it the morning of the day you leave for Yosemite. It's around 2 1/2 hours to get from Columbia to the Yosemite Lodge. I hope this helps and I'm always happy to answer any questions about my little part of the world! :)

I live in Calaveras County - may I suggest you stay the night in Murphys? It's on your way to Angels Camp from Big Trees. It's a super cool funky artsy town with lots of wineries and great eateries, I highly suggest Alchemy. Then you can take Parrots Ferry road to Columbia, which is totally worth checking out. Angels Camp and Sonora are nothing much to look at, but Murphys sure is!

Bear in mind that it will take you around 2 1/2 hours to drive from the Sacramento Airport to Arnold (where Big Trees is) depending on the day of the week. It's worth taking CA 49 rather than 99, you'll see so much of Gold Country. It would probably be best to do only Big Trees on your arrival day as by the time you get there after getting your car, luggage, and lunch it will be coming on 2 and you'll want several hours there at a minimum. There is a $10 parking fee cash only to keep in mind.

Columbia is awesome with gold panning and such but would most likely take you less time so it would be easier to do it the morning of the day you leave for Yosemite. It's around 2 1/2 hours to get from Columbia to the Yosemite Lodge. I hope this helps and I'm always happy to answer any questions about my little part of the world! :)

Thanks for the info, Molly Meow! I will keep it tucked away for future reference as we went to CA in October. We ended up lucking out and snagged the first night at Yosemite to go along with our other two nights. We drove from the airport to In and Out Burger in Sacramento then drove directly to Big Trees State Park. We absolutely LOVED Big Trees State Park! Majestic trees as far as the eye could see. We arrived there around 3 if I remember correctly and had just enough time to walk the North Grove. After that, we drove directly to Yosemite Valley Lodge. Took the Hwy 120 entrance. Arrived in Yosemite Valley well after dark (which isn't recommended especially if they have detoured all the roads--so confusing!). We LOVED LOVED LOVED our trip to CA and look forward to someday going back!

Thanks for the info, Molly Meow! I will keep it tucked away for future reference as we went to CA in October. We ended up lucking out and snagged the first night at Yosemite to go along with our other two nights. We drove from the airport to In and Out Burger in Sacramento then drove directly to Big Trees State Park. We absolutely LOVED Big Trees State Park! Majestic trees as far as the eye could see. We arrived there around 3 if I remember correctly and had just enough time to walk the North Grove. After that, we drove directly to Yosemite Valley Lodge. Took the Hwy 120 entrance. Arrived in Yosemite Valley well after dark (which isn't recommended especially if they have detoured all the roads--so confusing!). We LOVED LOVED LOVED our trip to CA and look forward to someday going back!

Ack, how embarrassing - I didn't notice the date. Sheesh. Glad you had a great time!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!