Stand-by line for Rise ***NO SPOILERS***

Yeah, I think the boarding groups caused more demand because it was basically a free ride. If you got a pass, you got to ride with minimal wait and you didn’t have to go through any kind of “is this worth it” thinking. Now it’s just like every other ride. Everyone has a cutoff where it will no longer be worth waiting in line, especially for the local bloggers who scored boarding passes on every attempt several times a week. They’ll leave it alone now whenever the wait is up and just come back on a less busy day. The wrinkle in all of this will be when lightning lanes open and they have to pause the standby line to let them on.

I'm kinda a reborn "newby" here and not familiar with all of the abbreviations. Can someone define the abbrev. IA$ for me? Thanks for sharing the Magic!

Its 3:45 and its down... the ride times on the other rides are decent so does that mean people went home?
If I were there today intent on riding ROTR, and had a park hopper, I would have rope dropped it (fearing the lines would be hours and hours all day) and then park hopped elsewhere. I suspect many did that today.
Rise is down and DHS now has five rides with a wait time of 35 minutes or more (MMRR, MFSR, RnR, SDD and TSM). MK currently has two (SDMT and JC), AK has one (AFoP), and EP has one (FEA). I don't think it's park hopping. It may just be a low crowd day.

I wonder if the virtual boarding groups they were allowing were more limited than the rides actual capacity. I mean, I wonder if they are pushing the ride to take more people in a day than they were when you had to get a boarding group. It just does not make sense that when virtual the boarding groups were gone within seconds each day, yet they can have a standby line all day and keep the waits down. It doesn’t add up.
I believe one thing is that those who have ridden multiple times probably stayed far, far away today so the majority of people there really want to ride it, possibly for the first or second time.

I'm guessing we might see wait times creep up a little (but not tons) over the next few days as word gets out that the standby line isn't 3+ hours long. People who were going to skip riding now that it's standby only, may return.
I am pleasantly surprised to say I was wrong - I really thought the waits would be 4+ hours all day. I though also agree with the question of if this is the demand, then what the heck was up with the BGs getting eaten up so fast?
Same! I'm so thankful to have been wrong about my predictions!

That being said, today still seems to be quieter than 'normal' in the parks. At 4:15PM:
- Tower of Terror 13 mins
- RnRC 35 mins
- MMRR 45 mins
- SDD 50 mins

and at other parks.....
Magic Kingdom
- SDMT 45 mins
- BTMR 10 mins
- Splash 35 mins
- SM 20 mins

Animal Kingdom
- Kilimanjaro Safari 5 mins
- FoP 60 mins
- EE 10 mins

Epcot
- TT 30 mins
- Frozen 45 mins
- Soarin' 10 mins

Waits are down at all the parks so I'm not sure we can judge today's lack of line at RotR as one that can be the new average. I'm pretty confident it will rise ;) as we get closer to Oct 1.

I believe one thing is that those who have ridden multiple times probably stayed far, far away today so the majority of people there really want to ride it, possibly for the first or second time.

I'm guessing we might see wait times creep up a little (but not tons) over the next few days as word gets out that the standby line isn't 3+ hours long. People who were going to skip riding now that it's standby only, may return.
Same! I'm so thankful to have been wrong about my predictions!

That being said, today still seems to be quieter than 'normal' in the parks. At 4:15PM:
- Tower of Terror 13 mins
- RnRC 35 mins
- MMRR 45 mins
- SDD 50 mins

and at other parks.....
Magic Kingdom
- SDMT 45 mins
- BTMR 10 mins
- Splash 35 mins
- SM 20 mins

Animal Kingdom
- Kilimanjaro Safari 5 mins
- FoP 60 mins
- EE 10 mins

Epcot
- TT 30 mins
- Frozen 45 mins
- Soarin' 10 mins

Waits are down at all the parks so I'm not sure we can judge today's lack of line at RotR as one that can be the new average. I'm pretty confident it will rise ;) as we get closer to Oct 1.
I agree, this weekend might be a better window into the future. I'm hoping cause I'm at HS Sunday.. all the AP slots for Saturday were taken.

It came back up at 5 with a 50 min wait... its 5:41 and it's down again

Last edited:
I think operationally, this is really, really good for DHS. By forcing people to wait for Rise, it takes the strain off the rest of the park's attractions. With the Virtual Queue everyone going to DHS that day signed up because if you won the lottery, you didnt have to wait a substantial time for it. Now, you have to commit to standing in line, or pony up for lightning lane in a few weeks. That many more people standing in line for rise equals fewer people waiting for other attractions.

I think operationally, this is really, really good for DHS. By forcing people to wait for Rise, it takes the strain off the rest of the park's attractions. With the Virtual Queue everyone going to DHS that day signed up because if you won the lottery, you didnt have to wait a substantial time for it. Now, you have to commit to standing in line, or pony up for lightning lane in a few weeks. That many more people standing in line for rise equals fewer people waiting for other attractions.
I also believe it might alleviate the phenomenon of people congregating in the tunnel at the entrance to Galaxy's Edge. They seemed to be either waiting for their boarding group to come up or to get one (at the 1 pm drop).

Surprised the wait time isn't longer, but September tends to be lower in crowd level. I think early October will give a real indication how bad the stand by line be or won't be. The early photos didn't look good.
In addition to the very low crowd levels (Touring Plans reported today was a "1" out of 10), AIS hasn't started yet.

Once IAS starts in October, we are sure to see much longer wait times.

Despite the crowds, riding ROTR using DAS today was so stress-free and enjoyable. We stopped at the blue umbrella across the street from Tap House, got a return time, and had no issues walking around the park until it was our time to join the queue.

Last edited:
I overslept and missed rope drop. Got to DHS around 12:20 and thought I’d be way out of luck. Touring plans suggested it was possible (and to wait - but I was concerned that waiting would be bad because it seems to go down so often). Did MMRR first and Muppets 3D and made my way to SW:GE slowly (just as a physical reality). Had no problem getting on this afternoon (2:20) - I think my wait was 45 min (MDE posted 80). Super glad I got to do it - I had assumed it wasn’t an option for me (both when it was a VQ and then when RD wasn’t going to be an option for me). Just assumed I’d wait until next trip and that TP data would’ve been skewed but it seemed accurate). Could’ve done it twice given today was a “1” according to TP but I wanted to try other things more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter