SSR Studio x 14 nights...I shouldn't have banked my points!

frostymom

Mouseketeer
Covid! I decided to take my two sons to WDW since we still have our AP and DVC points (two trips during covid closure, which I banked not thinking we would be able to go this year). However, we are able to go in November but all our points were banked and the best we could do was 14 nights at a studio in SSR. I know, how dare I complain! So we are going to virtual school 10th and 8th grades in WDW at a studio and visit parks after school each day, (they are off 3 days during this time as well.)

How much is laundry at SSR?
Are there grills to be used on property?

What should a mom pack to prepare meals in a studio? I have an old tupperware microwave cooker. We have two checked bags to bring stuff with us.

Thanks for any and all advice!

You might want to do an amazon order for a crockpot.....or get an uber when you get there for a trip to a super walmart or target grocery store. Then you can pick up a crockpot, cooler, and groceries. It stinks to buy a crockpot and not use it again but the $20 you will spend on a medium crockpot and then the groceries will save you $100's in not buying every meal at Disney. If you are checking bags, then pack a waffle iron....you can make waffles but also use it to make paninis/grilled sandwiches. Some ideas for meals

waffles
eggs/toast
pb and bacon sandwiches

panini sammies (waffle iron) and soup
tacos (meat in the crockpot)
meatloaf and sliced potatoes (crockpot)
ravioli and tomato sauce (crockpot)
hotdogs and mac n chesse (crockpot for mac n cheese)
Quesadillas (waffle iron)

When using a crock pot on vacation, I would think about bringing those crock pot liners so clean up is nothing and you are not soaking/scrubbing your crockpot. Also when you are at the grocery, consider picking up or packing in suitcase paper plates and bowls.....the resorts use styrofoam ones and they kind of melt in the microwave. I would also consider maybe packing a set of utensils because you will probably get sick of plastic ones that they have in the studios.

Utensils are typically available at either the front desk or community hall. The grills are charcoal which you would need to bring or purchase.
REALLY! Ugh. We will be buying charcoal. I thought I was going to grill a lot more...if it were gas.
I appreciate the info!!

Utensils are typically available at either the front desk or community hall. The grills are charcoal which you would need to bring or purchase.
REALLY! Ugh. We will be buying charcoal. I thought I was going to grill a lot more...if it were gas.
I appreciate the info!!

You might want to do an amazon order for a crockpot.....or get an uber when you get there for a trip to a super walmart or target grocery store. Then you can pick up a crockpot, cooler, and groceries. It stinks to buy a crockpot and not use it again but the $20 you will spend on a medium crockpot and then the groceries will save you $100's in not buying every meal at Disney. If you are checking bags, then pack a waffle iron....you can make waffles but also use it to make paninis/grilled sandwiches. Some ideas for meals

waffles
eggs/toast
pb and bacon sandwiches

panini sammies (waffle iron) and soup
tacos (meat in the crockpot)
meatloaf and sliced potatoes (crockpot)
ravioli and tomato sauce (crockpot)
hotdogs and mac n chesse (crockpot for mac n cheese)
Quesadillas (waffle iron)

When using a crock pot on vacation, I would think about bringing those crock pot liners so clean up is nothing and you are not soaking/scrubbing your crockpot. Also when you are at the grocery, consider picking up or packing in suitcase paper plates and bowls.....the resorts use styrofoam ones and they kind of melt in the microwave. I would also consider maybe packing a set of utensils because you will probably get sick of plastic ones that they have in the studios.
Thanks for the great info.
I just returned from Aldi and there are quite a few things that would be easy to prepare in the microwave and pretty balanced. I bought an omelette maker for the microwave, and I see they have an induction cooktop out next week, where is the info on approved stuff in a dvc. I need to do some looking to see if that may be a viable option to take with a pan. I have a camp style dining set with utensils so I will bring that, I need to see if they are microwave safe. A locker is looking like a good investment perhaps?
I love the crock liner idea. I am a huge fan of grocery delivery and the like.

I have this Tupperware stack cooker which will be awesome. I was looking at some ideas on YouTube! This is actually a lot of fun planning!

I think the issue is going to be cold food storage.

Bring a fridge thermometer to make sure whatever food you need to keep refrigerated is at the proper temperature. With such a small fridge, every time you add in something that's not already cold it can really reduce the temp in there and take a long time to cool food down.

Think shelf stable and small packaging. For example, we drink almond milk. Prefer the already refrigerated stuff, but in a pinch there are smaller shelf stable options that don't have to go in the fridge until you need it. Shelf stable bacon. Canned veggies. Apples, bananas, tangerines etc so you're not eating just junk. Basic seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic), butter / oil.

We could survive on cereal for breakfast, pbj for lunch and snacks in the room, but dinners for 2 weeks would be tough. Personally, I'd do much better with an electric skillet vs crockpot / waffle iron.

Cereal
PBJ
Soup
Grilled cheese
Pancakes and bacon
Eggs and hashbrowns (Costco has individual cartons of dehydrated hashbrowns - add hot water and then fry up)
Spaghetti squash (in microwave) or reg spaghetti (can boil in elect skillet) and sauce
Skillet meal ideas: Rice or potato or pasta / canned chicken (Costco) or tuna if you need meat / can of veggies / seasonings of choice if not using seasoned box of rice or pasta
(this can take on a million variations and we could eat a "skillet meal" like this 3-5 days a week but we don't eat a lot of meat in general, so a starch and veggie equals a meal)
Refried beans, spanish rice, tortilla chips, salsa, nacho cheese and tortilla chips
If you've already got the canned chicken and tuna and some eggs, a small jar of mayo and some crackers for tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad

From all that above, you only need in your fridge: Milk, jelly, cheese, eggs, mayo, and butter.

That's about all I got!

What a fun adventure!

Meals will be hard, you need to start planning for a mini fridge and no real freezer space. Maybe take an uber trip to Target/Walmart at the start and get a cooler. Ice is easy to replace. There are expensive soft coolers you could bring in luggage. Or, I have checked a Yeti before AS a suitcase. I could get by with just a small air fryer for my cooking. Spices, oil, knives, cutting board, silverware, plates, you'll need everything.

Think about Owner's Locker, if you plan to do this again. You could store some of this stuff and it would be a lot easier next time. There's other stuff I'd need for this long also: toiletries, medicine, hair stuff, first aid, my bathrobe... White noise machine! Brita filter, the water is gross.

Technically, appliances are not allowed in the rooms, so I would, uh, totally follow those rules.

I agree on the fridge thermometer.

Alternatively, you could game DS. Like, try to get something like HUGE sandwiches and make it last two meals. I think you could eat at DS and not be crazy expensive, if you were trying to be frugal. PBJ/instant oatmeal to supplement.

I'd also think about the sleeper sofa. I know I'd rather have an air mattress on top of that than the sad sleeper sofa mattress for that long. Depends on how old/picky your kids are.

Last edited:
I think the issue is going to be cold food storage.

Bring a fridge thermometer to make sure whatever food you need to keep refrigerated is at the proper temperature. With such a small fridge, every time you add in something that's not already cold it can really reduce the temp in there and take a long time to cool food down.

Think shelf stable and small packaging. For example, we drink almond milk. Prefer the already refrigerated stuff, but in a pinch there are smaller shelf stable options that don't have to go in the fridge until you need it. Shelf stable bacon. Canned veggies. Apples, bananas, tangerines etc so you're not eating just junk. Basic seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic), butter / oil.

We could survive on cereal for breakfast, pbj for lunch and snacks in the room, but dinners for 2 weeks would be tough. Personally, I'd do much better with an electric skillet vs crockpot / waffle iron.

Cereal
PBJ
Soup
Grilled cheese
Pancakes and bacon
Eggs and hashbrowns (Costco has individual cartons of dehydrated hashbrowns - add hot water and then fry up)
Spaghetti squash (in microwave) or reg spaghetti (can boil in elect skillet) and sauce
Skillet meal ideas: Rice or potato or pasta / canned chicken (Costco) or tuna if you need meat / can of veggies / seasonings of choice if not using seasoned box of rice or pasta
(this can take on a million variations and we could eat a "skillet meal" like this 3-5 days a week but we don't eat a lot of meat in general, so a starch and veggie equals a meal)
Refried beans, spanish rice, tortilla chips, salsa, nacho cheese and tortilla chips
If you've already got the canned chicken and tuna and some eggs, a small jar of mayo and some crackers for tuna salad, chicken salad and egg salad

From all that above, you only need in your fridge: Milk, jelly, cheese, eggs, mayo, and butter.

That's about all I got!
So CAN we bring a cook appliance? I would be in good shape if we had a pan and an air fryer! I think I am going to look into the locker idea!
I agree cold storage will be my main issue. A cooler is a great idea!
I plan on getting a grocery delivery every few days for meat and veggies. I plan on getting margarine (usually a butter girl) so that is shelf stable. LOVE the hash brown idea, thanks! The amount of food my 13 and 16 year old boys consume will send me to the poor house if I resort to eating out all the time during this 2 weeks.

I have thought of doing shorter duration in a 1bdrm but I am not working for a while (nurse with lupus super high risk) and will perhaps never again have the opportunity to do this with my boys. So making proverbial lemonade out of lemons!

What a fun adventure!

Meals will be hard, you need to start planning for a mini fridge and no real freezer space. Maybe take an uber trip to Target/Walmart at the start and get a cooler. Ice is easy to replace. There are expensive soft coolers you could bring in luggage. Or, I have checked a Yeti before AS a suitcase. I could get by with just a small air fryer for my cooking. Spices, oil, knives, cutting board, silverware, plates, you'll need everything.

Think about Owner's Locker, if you plan to do this again. You could store some of this stuff and it would be a lot easier next time. There's other stuff I'd need for this long also: toiletries, medicine, hair stuff, first aid, my bathrobe... White noise machine! Brita filter, the water is gross.

Technically, appliances are not allowed in the rooms, so I would, uh, totally follow those rules.

I agree on the fridge thermometer.

Alternatively, you could game DS. Like, try to get something like HUGE sandwiches and make it last two meals. I think you could eat at DS and not be crazy expensive, if you were trying to be frugal. PBJ/instant oatmeal to supplement.

I'd also think about the sleeper sofa. I know I'd rather have an air mattress on top of that than the sad sleeper sofa mattress for that long. Depends on how old/picky your kids are.

Thanks for the input! I have a soft cooler I may bring in my checked luggage.
Walmart Grocery Delivery will be my friend. I plan on bringing spices, knife, utensils, the cutting boards from the dollar store..amazing. I have a whole list started. I like the H20 that is in the resorts,and I don't wear a lot of make up these days, lips and mascara, white noise is also on the iphone. We will all have our laptops and headphones for virtual school. Medicines I will pack. Buying case of water, I agree the water in WDW is gross!
I am thinking I may have a cooking appliance fall in my room. I have a tupperware microwave cooker. I am planning ideas for one dish meals, red beans and rice, chicken black beans and rice, chili...
Definitely wanting to be frugal but we have to eat no matter where we are, so we will splurge a few places. Already have reservations for Teppan Edo and WCC.
The new rooms at SSR have a pull down bed that looks okay! Let's pray we get a new room. Also maybe we can pray they feel sorry for me and move us to a one bedroom. Haha a girl can dream!

Also maybe we can pray they feel sorry for me and move us to a one bedroom. Haha a girl can dream!

If you plan to try this, I might think about making a few split stays. If you ask, they'll keep you in the same room anyway, so they don't have to clean. And maybe you want a new room, so it will be clean or is refurbed! But a cast member is going to be a lot more able to upgrade 3-4 nights than 14. Definitely have heard about this happening in Covid times! Maybe go be nice to some front desk staff... And then try some other front desk staff next shift...

Also, with current rules, split stay would let you change it up. You could modify a reservation to go to OKW, or whatever, based on availability or what you want to do, or whatever. I love split stays with all the different personalities of these resorts. A 14 day reservation would lock you in, even if a AK value room popped up.

Last edited:
If you plan to try this, I might think about making a few split stays. If you ask, they'll keep you in the same room anyway, so they don't have to clean. And maybe you want a new room, so it will be clean or is refurbed! But a cast member is going to be a lot more able to upgrade 3-4 nights than 14. Definitely have heard about this happening in Covid times! Maybe go be nice to some front desk staff... And then try some other front desk staff next shift...

Also, with current rules, split stay would let you change it up. You could modify a reservation to go to OKW, or whatever, based on availability or what you want to do, or whatever. I love split stays with all the different personalities of these resorts. A 14 day reservation would lock you in, even if a AK value room popped up.
Because I totally messed up thinking I would not be going due to school and work, I banked our points and was going to lose 108. Then because I am on high risk meds and being a nurse presents me as not able to work due to pandemic, I thought I might as well use the points. I don't totally understand how points, banking and etc work, I banked my points and now find myself with no extra points to do other than this resort at this time. I will look at other availabilities though!

Personally I would go for less time and change to a 1 bedroom. Sounds like you will be spending a lot of time in the studio.

Or maybe you can split and do some one bedroom time and studio time.

I think it’ll be a blast and I’d definitely do the 14 days. Consider ordering the cheapest instant pot-works to sauté, slow cook, pressure cook, rice cooker, etc.

Because I totally messed up thinking I would not be going due to school and work, I banked our points and was going to lose 108. Then because I am on high risk meds and being a nurse presents me as not able to work due to pandemic, I thought I might as well use the points. I don't totally understand how points, banking and etc work, I banked my points and now find myself with no extra points to do other than this resort at this time. I will look at other availabilities though!

That's not what I mean. I mean instead of having one 14 night reservation, you could book 4, 3, 3, 4 or something. Then you can switch one in the middle/end to OKW, or whatever pops up with similar points (AKL value?).

This can be a pain, because you have to call to make sure you aren't moving, unless you want to move somewhere! They also still can you move you, but that seems less likely with Covid because they'd have to pay to clean it. It's also a way to get a clean room, just move!

That's not what I mean. I mean instead of having one 14 night reservation, you could book 4, 3, 3, 4 or something. Then you can switch one in the middle/end to OKW, or whatever pops up with similar points (AKL value?).

This can be a pain, because you have to call to make sure you aren't moving, unless you want to move somewhere! They also still can you move you, but that seems less likely with Covid because they'd have to pay to clean it. It's also a way to get a clean room, just move!

If someone books all the same room type with same guests on the same membership they will merge it when it gets close to check in date.

The resort might do it too. They don’t necessarily do it months out because they know people are trying to waitlist or book split stays but other than that it isn’t a real benefit unless one is moving resorts.

You can now get clean towels whenever you want free of charge. With a 14 day stay you get full cleaning on night 4 and trash and towel on night 8 and full Cleaning again on night 12.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter