SSR Lovers and Owners Part 3

Have you taken a close look at the 2017 points chart for SSR, yet? Beginning in 2017, the resort will have booking categories that include two views, "Standard" and "Preferred." For nights beginning 1/1/2017, it will cost more points if you want to stay in the Springs or Congress Park sections.

Even though bookings are now open for some January dates, the online booking tool has not yet been updated. The following message appears on the booking

I wish they would do this more like BWV and OKW where it is just a booking category and doesn't cost more points. We always request Congress Park when we stay at SSR but might have to re-think that if points increase.

Staying at SSR 6/4-6/11! We just got booked here on Thursday (hence the incorrect signature and ticker) because it's the only time we've seen availability for our dates since August (and availability is already gone as of this AM)! Not sure why it's been so difficult, but we are paying cash and we booked at the spring discount rate. We are booked in a 1 bedroom; my mom, my dad, my two boys (2 and 4.5yrs), and myself (hubby has to work). We stayed here in 2012 in a studio, in the Congress Park section (didn't make any requests as we were unfamiliar and it was a last minute trip). This time, I'd prefer bldg 6 or 7 of the Springs section, but would probably be ok with the Paddock or even Grandstand section. We'll have our own car (and my dad has a handicap placard so we do get to park close to the parks) so we plan to drive most places except maybe rope drop MK visits. We have midday breaks planned most days, as well. We won't be at the resort too much, but it will be nice to be staying at such a beautiful one. My mom loves this resort. She really likes the close parking, too!

Anyway, thanks for all the info. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions before we make the trip! 112 days to go!

I know somewhere in the SSR Lovers threads there is a link(s) to show me opinions of the pluses and minuses for each section. I can't find it. Help? Thanks

Just wanted to stop and say we just had a great stay at SSR last week. We were in the Paddock, right next to the pool and bus stop. We only waited 15 minutes for a bus once the entire week. Otherwise it was 5-10 minutes. Great location, easy to walk to the pool and bus stop. Room was very clean. Usual scuff marks on some of the doors and walls, but that is normal.
How far of a walk would it be to get to Disney Springs from where you stayed? And if you don't mind, could you tell me what building you were in? Thanks!

We are here now and bus service is horrible. Routinely waiting at least 30 minutes for a bus to get to parks. Magic Kingdom and Epcot are the worst. If you are in the Springs forget about getting on. Luckily we get on at Carousel stop. Took us almost 1.5 hours to get to MK yestarday. We have currently been standing here for a HS bus since 8 and it's 830.

What type would we need to bring? Is it the 4 cup pre-filled filters?

Also, just verifying, the refillable mug stations are only available if the grill/court/bar is currently open?
The studio we stayed at had pre-filled filter pouches in the room. It was a standard 10-cup coffee maker, not a 4-cup

Also, just verifying, the refillable mug stations are only available if the grill/court/bar is currently open?
Correct.

There are four places to fill mugs at the resort. The Artist's Palette in the Carriage House has the latest hours. This station has both sodas, teas, and hot drinks.

The Paddock Grill is the second location. It also has both cold and hot drinks. The Paddock Grill is open early for breakfast, and stays open until the pool closes.

The two locations with the most limited hours are the bars. Sodas only at each of these locations. One is at the Grandstand Pool, and one at the High Rock Spring pool.

Correct.

There are four places to fill mugs at the resort. The Artist's Palette in the Carriage House has the latest hours. This station has both sodas, teas, and hot drinks.

The Paddock Grill is the second location. It also has both cold and hot drinks. The Paddock Grill is open early for breakfast, and stays open until the pool closes.

The two locations with the most limited hours are the bars. Sodas only at each of these locations. One is at the Grandstand Pool, and one at the High Rock Spring pool.
Thank you so much. Where can I find out the hours for each? Is it seasonal? Will we need to wait til we arrive to find out that info?

Thank you so much. Where can I find out the hours for each? Is it seasonal? Will we need to wait til we arrive to find out that info?
The Disney World web site now shows hours for each location. From a quick glance, it looks like the hours are consistent from now until the last month of published hours (August).

Artist's Palette: 7:00 am - 11:00 pm
Paddock Grill: 7:30 am - 8:00 pm
On the Rocks (bar at the High Rock Spring (main) pool): 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Backstretch Pool Bar (at the Grandstand pool): 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm

The Disney World web site now shows hours for each location. From a quick glance, it looks like the hours are consistent from now until the last month of published hours (August).

Artist's Palette: 7:00 am - 11:00 pm
Paddock Grill: 7:30 am - 8:00 pm
On the Rocks (bar at the High Rock Spring (main) pool): 11:00 am - 9:00 pm
Backstretch Pool Bar (at the Grandstand pool): 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Thanks again!! We are almost to double digits. Got our tax refund money today, so buying tickets! Yah! 107 days!!

Just booked our first stay at SSR. A 2 bedroom villa. We are not sure if we will being going to the parks. We are looking forward to being close to DS/DTD. We will be heading to VB after our stay.

Are the buses to the parks really as bad as I just read on a recent thread? We are planning on rent a car only to get to VB.

The resort looks beautiful. Can not wait till August.

Just booked our first stay at SSR. A 2 bedroom villa. We are not sure if we will being going to the parks. We are looking forward to being close to DS/DTD. We will be heading to VB after our stay.

Are the buses to the parks really as bad as I just read on a recent thread? We are planning on rent a car only to get to VB.

I've stayed at SSR a few times now & never had a problem with the buses apart from the isolated occasion where our timing saw us getting to a stop just as a bus was pulling away. Even still, we probably never waited more than 20 minutes. We rent a car to do offsite things & we leave it parked at the resort in favour of the buses as that is how convenient we find them.

I've not found the buses at SSR to be any better or worse than those at any other DVC property. The majority of the time, there won't be any issues. That's not to say, though, that there won't be the occasional hiccup. If you weren't planning on renting a car for your stay, you'll be fine.

DW and I spent several hours last week looking around SSR; from the different areas, pools, walked to DS, restaurants.

We were in Orlando on non WDW plans but were able to "squeeze" this into our plans.

We are hoping to close our first initial SSR resale contract this week and purchased with this thread's recommendations and purchased site unseen (you tube excluded).

We have stayed at all the monorail resorts and thought about purchasing one of those. We have toured the Boardwalk area in our precious visits.

We are so happy we made SSR our home.

Question: Is there already a thread about the boat transportation? What I am needing to know how to get around the World from SSR using the boat transportation? I know this will include changing boats.

Last edited:
Does SSR have the screens at the bus stops that tell you when the buses are coming or when they'll get to the parks?

Does SSR have the screens at the bus stops that tell you when the buses are coming or when they'll get to the parks?
In August 2015 they did not have tv screens but they did have a College Program CM at grandstand and springs bus stops in the mornings.

Yes, you can do that. Disney Springs is essentially a park (at least for the Disney Transportation system) so you can catch a bus there to any other resort

Just to be clear DS does not have any park buses but this is a great way of taking a bus to another resort for dinner when staying at SSR.

Question: Is there already a thread about the boat transportation? What I am needing to know how to get around the World from SSR using the boat transportation? I know this will include changing boats.
There's only a limited amount of the world you can reach by boat from SSR. The blue flag boats run between the SSR Carriage House, Tree House Villas, and the Disney Springs West Side dock. At Disney Springs, you can catch a red-flagged boat, which Disney calls the "Water Taxi." These boats make a circle of the three docks at Disney Springs: the Marketplace, The Landing, and the West Side. You can also connect to separate boats that service the Old Key West (Green Flag boats) or Port Orleans resorts (Yellow Flag boats). The Old Key West and SSR boats load at the Disney Springs West Side dock. Port Orleans loads at the Marketplace.

The waterways around Disney Springs do not connect to those at Magic Kingdom, Epcot, or Hollywood Studios. It's not possible to catch a boat from SSR or Disney Springs to those destinations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter