SSR adding standard view in 2017

Very interesting!
I'll be interested to know what it really means. (Which buildings and/or rooms that classify as standard)

Very interesting!
I'll be interested to know what it really means. (Which buildings and/or rooms that classify as standard)

Daddio posted on another thread that Paddock and Carousel are standard.

So now SSR is more points ( preferred cat) for studios and 2 bedrooms than at VWL! Sure hope these " views" categories do not surface when the construction is over at VWL!

Not a happy camper but waiting to see impact once I look at our typical travel patterns. One thing is certain I'm glad we added on in Sep.

Wow. We almost always have stayed in Congress Park and we have never had anything I would consider a " view." Most recently we looked at the bus stop.

Daddio posted on another thread that Paddock and Carousel are standard.
Thanks. if that holds up, it's actually a useful and decent category.
(With Paddock having a feature pool and QS it's an OK area, and Carousel is close to Paddock and is the 2nd bus stop, so it doesn't sound terrible to me, now)

I would have expected a scattered category like: Carousel, the far Grandstand buildings and the non-water view Congress Park villas

I love Congress Park and would pay more for it most of the time. Last time I was there I had a one bedroom with a bus stop view. I would be pretty upset if I paid extra for that.

I wonder how they could have failed to tell this during the annual meeting. It looks like a bigger change than anything else announced, except the faster renovation cycle.
I guess MS received room requests only for the three sections that will be in Preferred view (or should we say preferred sections?). The change makes sense.
I would have added a "Disney Spring" view booking category, with the same points required as preferred, but with just a few rooms, like BWV, that would guarantee an high floor with the DS view. It would be an highly sought after booking category and a bit incentive to own SSR.

Wow. We almost always have stayed in Congress Park and we have never had anything I would consider a " view." Most recently we looked at the bus stop.
It's likely a location issue and not a view issue. I suspect this is in response to member complaints over the years.

I wonder how they could have failed to tell this during the annual meeting. It looks like a bigger change than anything else announced, except the faster renovation cycle.
I guess MS received room requests only for the three sections that will be in Preferred view (or should we say preferred sections?). The change makes sense.
I would have added a "Disney Spring" view booking category, with the same points required as preferred, but with just a few rooms, like BWV, that would guarantee an high floor with the DS view. It would be an highly sought after booking category and a bit incentive to own SSR.

I would have liked to have heard about it too!

This makes the "standard" villas more attractive to me. I have never gotten any sort of nice view in Congress Park, but we book it because it was the first area opened and we stayed therein 2004.

If this is building based as said, it's location driven and not view. Close proximity to Disney Springs, etc. Not a terrible change really. The "standard" areas put you close to pools.

My initial reaction is not positive. Why the secrecy? DVC needs to provide more information and specifics on the location of the two views. Why not go to section booking and leave the points the same? That would give a booking advantage to owners similar to Boardwalk View at BWV.

My initial reaction is not positive. Why the secrecy? DVC needs to provide more information and specifics on the location of the two views. Why not go to section booking and leave the points the same? That would give a booking advantage to owners similar to Boardwalk View at BWV.
I'm not sure it's secrecy as much as practicality and timing. They do provide the buildings for HH view at OKW but don't provide the exactly locations of standard view normally. If it's truly by building and section, it should be easy for them to provide that info if asked. It's all new, give it some time, the info will be out there. IMO this is positive for several reasons. First, it gives some control over choices at SSR beyond just requests which DVC doesn't do well. It also suggests they're more willing to change in such matters, a problem they've had over the years. I'm sure some will complain that they're having to pay more for certain locations but any owner there should have known prior to buying this was a possibility and at 7 months well, they don't own there so don't have any say. I believe one should expect such changes over the years, the Poly and BCV would seem to be 2 possibilities the are forefront, also it's uncertain what will happen at VWL with the expansion there.

Because they didn't want questions or comments.

:earsboy: Bill

I'm not sure it's secrecy as much as practicality and timing. They do provide the buildings for HH view at OKW but don't provide the exactly locations of standard view normally. If it's truly by building and section, it should be easy for them to provide that info if asked. It's all new, give it some time, the info will be out there. IMO this is positive for several reasons. First, it gives some control over choices at SSR beyond just requests which DVC doesn't do well. It also suggests they're more willing to change in such matters, a problem they've had over the years. I'm sure some will complain that they're having to pay more for certain locations but any owner there should have known prior to buying this was a possibility and at 7 months well, they don't own there so don't have any say. I believe one should expect such changes over the years, the Poly and BCV would seem to be 2 possibilities the are forefront, also it's uncertain what will happen at VWL with the expansion there.

I don't think that they really much care what members think, IMO they do what benefits Disney. If raising the point requirements for popular rooms causes anyone to buy 1 more point, they do it. Granted they may buy resale but Disney knows exactly what percentage of sales go resale and what goes direct. That's like the THV, keep the point requirement low until the points are sold then raise them because the THV are popular?

:earsboy: Bill

We may be more likely to stay at SSR standard view if need be. We always default to OKW to save points (and get two beds in a studio).

We may be more likely to stay at SSR standard view if need be. We always default to OKW to save points (and get two beds in a studio).

My guess is that they will be snapped up by owners as a bargain. Which is great for SSR owners.

Are there really bad noise problems from the Firehouse and road in those 2 areas, Paddock and Carousel? I seem to remember reading about major noise complaints.

Because of the pool area at Paddock, I am surprised it is lumped together with Carousel.

How reliable is the given source?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter