Spring Pantry Challenge

disneyfav4ever

No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep
My New Year's resolution is going to be to try and go through some of my stockpile of food. I have a freezer full of meat and frozen vegetables, and my pantry is full of stuff I could, and should, use up.

I'm going to try and buy only produce and dairy on a weekly basis.

Who wants to join me?

My New Year's resolution is going to be to try and go through some of my stockpile of food. I have a freezer full of meat and frozen vegetables, and my pantry is full of stuff I could, and should, use up.

I'm going to try and buy only produce and dairy on a weekly basis.

Who wants to join me?
I would look thru your pantry right now for dry and canned goods that are nearing expiration. There is always a need for items for food baskets so you know the items will be consumed quickly and not go to waste.

I'm in! That will give me a chance to then defrost my freezer when it's finally empty:lmao:

I was in for the holiday challange and hope to continue throughout next year as well. I have been using up a ton of food and most importantly it has made me look at what we actually eat vs what we have been buying.

For one thing we go through a lot of chicken breasts so I know that if I see a good sale I can buy them and they will be eaten. I also know what not to buy like frozen green beans as we do not go eat them.

I'm in as well! I just did a freezer inventory and holy cow have I got enough meat to last us quite awhile.:cool1:

My weekly challenge will be to just use what I have on hand first and try to make meals out of it...then only buy what I need to finish off the meal!

I'm trying to empty the stock as well. But it seems like I always have the same things in there (3 bottles of yellow mustard) and run out of what we actualy eat! (like meat/chicken/ jar sauces)
How do you keep track of what to replenish when it is on sale?

I keep a running list on a clipboard of both pantry items and freezer items and cross them off as I use them. So I can see on a week to week basis what I should add to the shopping list.

I'm in for January. I like the challenges and have slacked for the last couple of months. They're like WW's. lol I feel accountable to the Dis. Guilt always works

I have kind of cleaned out now with the Nov/Dec challenge. I even organized my cupboards and pantry! I have restocked, but nothing expires soon and it is all organized.

I do plan to continue this way of living.....stockpile on huge discounts and such and keeping my budget under $500 for food/toileties/paper goods, etc....

Dawn

I would look thru your pantry right now for dry and canned goods that are nearing expiration. There is always a need for items for food baskets so you know the items will be consumed quickly and not go to waste.
I go through my pantry at least once every month or two for the food bank. I get a lot of stuff for free or really cheap. I get as many as I can, keep what I know I'll probably use, and donate the rest.

I'm trying to empty the stock as well. But it seems like I always have the same things in there (3 bottles of yellow mustard) and run out of what we actualy eat! (like meat/chicken/ jar sauces)
I don't really have a system. I just seem to be able to pretty much remember what I have.

I'll probably try this chalenge. I've been following the Pre-Holiday challenge, but wasn't able to participate right now even though I have been trying to use up freezer/pantry items.

After Christmas I will have to organize and get a list of all items I have already.

I'll probably try this chalenge. I've been following the Pre-Holiday challenge, but wasn't able to participate right now even though I have been trying to use up freezer/pantry items.

After Christmas I will have to organize and get a list of all items I have already.
I need to make a list too. Maybe I'll get started on that tonight, post it, and you guys can give me recipe ideas. :)

I think we'll hop in on this too. We've been tossing around the idea of eating the stuff in the pantry for a while, so this as good as any. :thumbsup2

So I just went through the top two shelves of my pantry, and this is what I have so far;

11 jars Pasta Sauce
1 jar Pesto Sauce
2 boxes Pasta Salad
2 boxes Rice-A-Roni
4 single-serve Easy Macs
7 boxes Pasta (spaghetti, penne, orzo, rotini, and fuseli)
2 boxes Macaroni and Cheese
4 packs Ramen Noodles
2 bags Lipton Asian Side Dishes
1 box Cous Cous Mix
5 jars Peanut Butter
6 boxes Mashed Potatoes
4 boxes Stuffing
2 boxes Teddy Grahams
4 boxes Wheat Thins
1 box Ritz Crackers
2 bottles Tabasco Sauce
2 bottles Ketchup
1 jar Mayonnaise
10 bags Chocolate Chips
4 bags Cookie Mix
8 boxes Cake Mix
3 boxes Brownie Mix
2 boxes Quick Bread Mix
2 bags Sugar
1 bag Brown Sugar
4 packs Yeast
1 box Cocoa
1 bag Flour
2 boxes Baking Chocolate
6 packs Starbucks Truffles
1 bag Cookie Icing
1 pack Oreos
1 6-pack Hershey Bars
1 jar Honey
11 Mini Delight Bowls
6 bottles Salad Dressing
1 can Baked Beans
1 can Chiles (Already know what I want to use them for too!)
1 bottle Taco Sauce
5 packets Taco Seasoning
4 jars Salsa
2 Taco Kits
2 jars BBQ Sauce
2 boxes Graham Crackers
1 bottle Maple Syrup
10 bags Microwave Popcorn
2 boxes Corn Muffin Mix
2 boxes Pancake Mix
2 boxes Hot Chocolate
1 box Tea Bags
15 boxes Pudding Mix
3 boxes Jell-o Mix
4 cans Soup
4 cans Tomato Soup
2 bottles Oil
2 cans Refried Beans
1 can Cranberry Sauce
9 bottles Marinade
3 bottles Mustard
1 bottle Sherry
1 bottle Steak Sauce
1 bottle Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 bottle Chili Sauce
1 bottle Soy Sauce
1 bottle Red Wine
1 bottle Sesame Oil
3 cans Olives
3 cans Coconut Milk
1 can Cream of Celery Soup
8 cans Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 can Mandarin Oranges
3 jars Maraschino Cherries
1 can Sloppy Joe Sauce
2 jars Roasted Red Peppers
4 cans Corn
2 cans Pineapple
2 cans Beef Broth
11 cans Chicken Broth
3 cans Stewed Tomatoes
3 cans Whole Tomatoes
1 jar Pickles
3 jars Hot Fudge
2 jars Caramel Sauce
3 cans Tomato Sauce
2 cans Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
4 boxes Cereal
1 bag Almonds
2 bags Pistachios
1 bag Pine Nuts
4 jars Applesauce
2 bottles Cranberry Juice
2 cans Fried Onions
4 boxes Capri Sun
Cystal Light
Latte Mix
Marinade Mix
Asian Seasonings
Vegetable Soup Mix
Onion Soup Mix
8 12-packs Coke
1 case Snapple
2 4-packs Izze
7 bottles Iced Tea
12 bottles Water

Still have the fridge and freezer to go through. In addition to everything I have listed, I also have the stuff I keep on the counter all the time, which is a bottle of white wine for cooking, spices, rice, flour, sugar, a box of cereal, bread crumbs, oats, cornmeal, oil, and liquors.

So I just went through the top two shelves of my pantry, and this is what I have so far;

11 jars Pasta Sauce
1 jar Pesto Sauce
2 boxes Pasta Salad
2 boxes Rice-A-Roni
4 single-serve Easy Macs
7 boxes Pasta (spaghetti, penne, orzo, rotini, and fuseli)
2 boxes Macaroni and Cheese
4 packs Ramen Noodles
2 bags Lipton Asian Side Dishes
1 box Cous Cous Mix
5 jars Peanut Butter
6 boxes Mashed Potatoes
2 boxes Teddy Grahams
4 boxes Wheat Thins
1 box Ritz Crackers
2 bottles Tabasco Sauce
2 bottles Ketchup
1 jar Mayonnaise
10 bags Chocolate Chips
4 bags Cookie Mix
8 boxes Cake Mix
3 boxes Brownie Mix
2 boxes Quick Bread Mix
2 bags Sugar
1 bag Brown Sugar
4 packs Yeast
1 box Cocoa
1 bag Flour
2 boxes Baking Chocolate
6 packs Starbucks Truffles
1 bag Cookie Icing
1 pack Oreos
1 6-pack Hershey Bars
1 jar Honey

I still have two more shelves to go through, and the bags of canned goods I have on the floor, which I know have soup and tomatoes in them. Not all sure what else is really down there.

Maybe a nice donation to the local food bank would help get rid of all this food. Do you have a large family that you are feeding?

I'm in. I did the Nov/Dec challenge and have made a dent. I know my December grocery spending will be way less than last year and that's a good thing!

My goal will to identify an item or items each week that I want to use up and not replace immediately. I have tons and tons and tons of condiment type things - sauces, marinades, fancy mustards, etc. etc.

I also will keep planning my meals around what I have on hand for the most part only hoping to restock the perishables.

I do stock up on sales when it is my rock bottom prices.

Lori

I was in on the previous challenge, and I'm going to need to continue with this New Year challenge too! It's silly how much food I keep buying and then never getting around to eating. I wish I was organized enough to have a list. I may need 1-2 more months on the challenge to get it manageable enough to make one!:)

Maybe a nice donation to the local food bank would help get rid of all this food. Do you have a large family that you are feeding?
It's usually just me, unless I have friends over or something. And my dad usually eats lunch here, so that takes care of a lot of leftovers.

I think once January is over I'll box up what I feel I won't use after seeing what I really do use in a month.

i'm definetly in!! my goal is to spend as little as possible each month and use what i have rather than going out and buying more. my food budget for the 2 of us is $200 each month. this includes paper products, soap, etc...if i can spend less by using up what we have on hand, thats even better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter