Spouse/SO

Much happier thread than the Dating Red Flags one. That one is downright depressing in some cases.
I was never looking for "thee" person. No criteria. We knew each other two years before we started dating. And we just clicked. Coming up on 42 years married.
If I had all the criteria some folks have, I fear I never would have met my soulmate.,

Last edited:
I didn't marry someone I call my "soul mate," we don't agree on everything, aren't very much alike, etc. It's our big joke that we are so "simpatico" that we can read each other's minds - because it's so not true! Sometimes we look at each other and wonder "who are you?" We give each other the look, laugh and nod, and give our secret "simpatico" signal.

However, I have a spouse who loves me like no other, is with me through thick and thin, and has been my life partner for 33 years. We're firm believers in "love is a verb" and we've chosen each other. The tag fairy quoted me saying "this person totally gets me." We don't always totally get each other, but we do always totally choose each other. I'd rather be with him than anyone else.

I was a freshman in college, he was in pilot training at a nearby base. We met and married two years later. Over the years we moved many times. It was always so nice we had each other to rely on through all the changes. We'll celebrate our 44th wedding anniversary this year.

I have always said my DH and I were meant to be. Our paths crossed so many times, he remembered more than I did about the paths crossing.

DH worked at a hobby shop and took my order for a model I wanted. I was a huge Star Trek fan back then. He remembered me, I had no clue it was him. We had a youth group at my church, and DH always came with a friend and heckled me while I ran the business part of the meeting, I was the president. When I got hurt at a meeting (we played a very rough game of basketball) he helped me get to the corner and made sure I got across the street safely. When I was a Sr. in high school a boy I wound up dating for a couple of years asked me to the prom. I only liked the guy as a friend, so when I said I needed to think about it my DH and his friends (who were sitting right there) made fun of him, I think that was why I eventually said yes, I felt bad for the guy. (I should have stuck to the no as he wound up being a jerk.) When an ex boyfriend threatened me, DH was at the same lunch table and saved the day coming to my rescue. (I had a think for jerks when I was a teenager,) The restaurant I worked at while I was in college would have a "psychic" come in once a month and she would always tell me that I was going to marry a tall, dark man, I didn't believe her. My husband is 6'2" and on the darker side. We finally officially met through my younger brother not long after the psychic gave her prediction. Our High School was going to the City Championship and my brother had a friend who would drive us to the game. It was my DH who was dating the dumbest girl I have ever met. We ran into each other constantly for the next year. He broke up with his girlfriend and we officially started dating in Sept 1978, got engaged in Dec 1978 and married in July 1981. My dad insisted we needed to wait since we didn't have a chance to really know each other, so we waited. Seven years ago my DH had 2 strokes, thankfully he survived but he was left with permanent damage. He is now my ears as I am a little hard of hearing, and I am his eyes since the strokes took a large part of his vision. Since I do everything for him, he sends me to Disney World once a year on a solo trip, so I have time for just me. We do travel together at times, heading on an Alaskan cruise this year. When I am away our 3 kids keep tabs on him as well as his best friend. We also have 8 grandkids and 1 great grandson.

We have been together officially 46 years and married almost 43 of them. We've had ups and downs but always managed to come through stronger in the end. The strokes were a real test of our strength as a couple but I learned from my parents. My dad has had cancer, almost died more than once and my mom has always been by his side. Before they started dating mom thought my dad was a creep and he thought she was cute as a button. He wore her down and they married at 17 and 19 years old. They just celebrated their 68th anniversary and dad got out of the hospital just in time to celebrate. He was in there for 2 months and we all thought he wasn't going to make it. Mom spent every day in there with him except for the period where she had covid, caught it in the hospital and so did dad. She still called him every day and I took my I-Pad in so they could facetime. Dad wrote a poem to my mom many years ago that said basically he was lucky to have found the love that was allotted to him since the beginning of time. I feel the same way about my husband although I will never tell him that. He is the romantic in the relationship.

We met just before Christmas of 2000 at a book store. Went for a three hour coffee and have been together ever since. I knew the night I met him that I’d marry him. Something that night just made me feel that something big had just happened. I remember talking to myself on the drive home that I had to calm down, not get ahead of myself. We have three kids—never thought I’d have any—lost 16. He stood by through all that. He nearly died when I was pregnant with our twins. We’ve been through a lot, but what stands out is how much laughter there has been all these years.

Dh just took me on a date to go see Godzilla Minus One because he knows how much I adore Godzilla (he does not share my enthusiasm). That's love.

He also cooks, cleans, irons his own shirts, does the laundry, fixes anything that breaks, bathes the dogs, helps with all the farm chores, is hot as heck and makes me swoon when we kiss.

I'm a lucky gal.

My husband and I started high school together in February 1983 - so we were both 12yo. We were friends until we were 1989 when he told me that he had fallen in love with me that very day in 1983. We dated until 2003 - both bought separate homes, I worked my way through the ranks to become the manager of a bank, he finished his apprenticeship then started his own business when we finally got engaged. Married 6mths later in 2004.

So 35yrs together this April, married 20yrs this month and 3 children (18, 16 and 14) - he is still my best friend whom I adore.

My parents were married 54yrs before my Dad passed whilst my in-laws were married 58yrs before my FIL passed. Both couples were amazing role models for not only my husband and I but also for our children :love:

Look, no offense to those still waiting for "their person"...but those who have it, do you ever think holy crap how did this happen????

I know every weekend (I take off the DIS during the week now), I post some random thing. This week I'm posting that my husband LOVES me. Like LOVES ME. No matter how much rich or poor, craziness, fat/skinny, ugly/pretty, sweat pants/fancy....like no matter WHAT this dude has my back.

He has had my back through so much and I just had to do a public shout out. If you don't have it, don't settle. That "person" exists.

Sorry, just had to say it 🥰😃
Great... I guess. I just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary....I've never felt the need to broadcast my success. I've read some of your multiple threads about work and other things where you don't seem that happy. You posted a thread about how you just worked for vacation and you worked opposite your spouse and you were not happy I'm glad you're happy now...if that's really how you feel.

Great... I guess. I just celebrated my 30th wedding anniversary....I've never felt the need to broadcast my success. I've read some of your multiple threads about work and other things where you don't seem that happy. You posted a thread about how you just worked for vacation and you worked opposite your spouse and you were not happy I'm glad you're happy now...if that's really how you feel.
I'm broadcasting because I'm proud of him. Of course I'm unhappy that we work opposite schedules. Duh. I love hearing all these sweet stories. I have NO clue why you feel it necessary to be like this, but how about you block me and move on? Be proud of your 30 years and own it! Shout out to your DH/DW for putting up with you! Brag a little!

To all of you who have shared your sweet, positive stories - thank you so much and I hope more post! 🥰 brag, shout out, post it...because it's amazing despite one idiotic naysayer. Lol special shout out to those dear to my heart who posted - they know who they are.

Look, no offense to those still waiting for "their person"...but those who have it, do you ever think holy crap how did this happen????

I know every weekend (I take off the DIS during the week now), I post some random thing. This week I'm posting that my husband LOVES me. Like LOVES ME. No matter how much rich or poor, craziness, fat/skinny, ugly/pretty, sweat pants/fancy....like no matter WHAT this dude has my back.

He has had my back through so much and I just had to do a public shout out. If you don't have it, don't settle. That "person" exists.

Sorry, just had to say it 🥰😃
It took me a long time to find my missing piece. DH is fantastic and loves me because of my quirks. I’ve had terrible relationships in the past and had an ex husband who was a cheater and verbally abusive. I never knew what I was missing until I found it because you don’t know what you don’t know. I feel truly lucky to have found DH. It’s funny because I was not looking for a guy in the UK. But he popped up in my matches after dating a local guy from Ireland. I think it was a fluke since we both had picked people in a 20 mile radius. We began as more like pen pals but went from once a week to once a day to many times a day. Then I got the courage to make the journey over. We’ve been together ever since meeting in 2007. We will have our 15th anniversary in July.
When I look back I realize that what I was told was cold feet and nervous jitters was my instinct saying girl, run! I just did not listen. But if I did not know the heartbreak I would never have found DH. Now we just could not live without each other. He’s the best.

It took me a long time to find my missing piece. DH is fantastic and loves me because of my quirks. I’ve had terrible relationships in the past and had an ex husband who was a cheater and verbally abusive. I never knew what I was missing until I found it because you don’t know what you don’t know. I feel truly lucky to have found DH. It’s funny because I was not looking for a guy in the UK. But he popped up in my matches after dating a local guy from Ireland. I think it was a fluke since we both had picked people in a 20 mile radius. We began as more like pen pals but went from once a week to once a day to many times a day. Then I got the courage to make the journey over. We’ve been together ever since meeting in 2007. We will have our 15th anniversary in July.
When I look back I realize that what I was told was cold feet and nervous jitters was my instinct saying girl, run! I just did not listen. But if I did not know the heartbreak I would never have found DH. Now we just could not live without each other. He’s the best.
I love this snow!

It was 1975, I just turned 18 & graduated. My husband worked at the service station my father always went to. My dad was very outgoing & had made friends with him & thought he was a great kid. Dad would say…I’ve got 5 daughters, 1 of you better fall for this guy. I had to drive my mom & younger siblings around all the time. Dad never put more than $3 of gas in at a time. (Again, 1975, you could do that. 😂) So I was in there almost every day, or driving past on the way to wherever. Husband was always there to pump the gas for me. He had the most beautiful blue eyes & longish curly hair. It took him til the end of July to call & ask me out. We went out on Friday & knew by Sunday we would be together forever. Married 45 years, still best friends & do pretty much everything together. Our life is still an adventure, we just retired last year & absolutely love being together 24/7. My husband cried when my dad died, he said without my dad, he wouldn’t have his own family or the life he does. :lovestruc Oh, he still has the beautiful blue eyes. But the long curly hair is long gone. That bothers him, I tell him I’m short, so I can’t see the top of his head anyway. :rotfl2:
😍

It was a snowy night, March 5, 1975. I was a senior in high school. A girlfriend and I had gone to see a movie and when we got out we had to brush snow off my parent’s car before we could leave. A car came by and a guy threw a snowball at us. My friend said we should follow them, so we did. Ended up parked in the JC Penney parking lot, talking. Or rather the guy who threw the snowball and my girlfriend did most of the talking. The driver of the car and I didn’t say much. We did tell them we would be at the roller skating rink on Sunday afternoon. Sunday came and we went skating, and so did they. That was when the driver and I exchanged names, and skated together. Long story short, we were engaged later in the spring and married in September.

A short courtship, but we knew we were meant to be together. 48 years later, still happily married. We are each other’s best friend. ❤️ We have a son, a daughter, 5 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren. We are a very close family.
Aw bless. Sweet story. ❤️

I have always said my DH and I were meant to be. Our paths crossed so many times, he remembered more than I did about the paths crossing.

DH worked at a hobby shop and took my order for a model I wanted. I was a huge Star Trek fan back then. He remembered me, I had no clue it was him. We had a youth group at my church, and DH always came with a friend and heckled me while I ran the business part of the meeting, I was the president. When I got hurt at a meeting (we played a very rough game of basketball) he helped me get to the corner and made sure I got across the street safely. When I was a Sr. in high school a boy I wound up dating for a couple of years asked me to the prom. I only liked the guy as a friend, so when I said I needed to think about it my DH and his friends (who were sitting right there) made fun of him, I think that was why I eventually said yes, I felt bad for the guy. (I should have stuck to the no as he wound up being a jerk.) When an ex boyfriend threatened me, DH was at the same lunch table and saved the day coming to my rescue. (I had a think for jerks when I was a teenager,) The restaurant I worked at while I was in college would have a "psychic" come in once a month and she would always tell me that I was going to marry a tall, dark man, I didn't believe her. My husband is 6'2" and on the darker side. We finally officially met through my younger brother not long after the psychic gave her prediction. Our High School was going to the City Championship and my brother had a friend who would drive us to the game. It was my DH who was dating the dumbest girl I have ever met. We ran into each other constantly for the next year. He broke up with his girlfriend and we officially started dating in Sept 1978, got engaged in Dec 1978 and married in July 1981. My dad insisted we needed to wait since we didn't have a chance to really know each other, so we waited. Seven years ago my DH had 2 strokes, thankfully he survived but he was left with permanent damage. He is now my ears as I am a little hard of hearing, and I am his eyes since the strokes took a large part of his vision. Since I do everything for him, he sends me to Disney World once a year on a solo trip, so I have time for just me. We do travel together at times, heading on an Alaskan cruise this year. When I am away our 3 kids keep tabs on him as well as his best friend. We also have 8 grandkids and 1 great grandson.

We have been together officially 46 years and married almost 43 of them. We've had ups and downs but always managed to come through stronger in the end. The strokes were a real test of our strength as a couple but I learned from my parents. My dad has had cancer, almost died more than once and my mom has always been by his side. Before they started dating mom thought my dad was a creep and he thought she was cute as a button. He wore her down and they married at 17 and 19 years old. They just celebrated their 68th anniversary and dad got out of the hospital just in time to celebrate. He was in there for 2 months and we all thought he wasn't going to make it. Mom spent every day in there with him except for the period where she had covid, caught it in the hospital and so did dad. She still called him every day and I took my I-Pad in so they could facetime. Dad wrote a poem to my mom many years ago that said basically he was lucky to have found the love that was allotted to him since the beginning of time. I feel the same way about my husband although I will never tell him that. He is the romantic in the relationship.
I just reread your story. And its amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. True love has its way of making even the worst ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter