Splurge on Wilderness Lodge or AKL?

We have stayed at POFQ, WL and AK a few times. All lovely resorts but I would select either sticking to PO or going with WL. I love AK but we found it a little remote. The buses did not work for us and we missed Disney Springs. WL had MK by boat and the bus to the rest of the parks was quick. We loved this resort! We love PO also. The construction at WL did not bother us one bit at Christmas. We can't wait to stay again in fact when the new DVC offering hits we are all over that like a rash!

Just got back from a WL Villas stay August 26-30. The construction didn't bother us a bit. Total non-issue in my opinion, although I suppose it depends on your room and we weren't really in the room during the day so didn't have an opportunity to notice whether there was audible construction then - I'm thinking it's not going to impact your stay, though. It was definitely less crowded than I've noticed in the past, which is nice.

Stayed at AKL for the first time last year, but we had a savannah view so I can't speak to the standard-view room experience- the savannah view really blew us away! The space is breathtaking and the animals can be viewed from lots of places. Yes, it's a noticeably longer bus ride, but not more than 15 or 20 minutes total, which I expect anyway for a Disney bus ride.

Both are beautiful spaces. WL has an edge for me because it's just my favorite resort - it's so beautiful, I love them piping the theme from "The Magnificent Seven" into the lobby, haha - and the proximity to the Magic Kingdom is really nice.

Honestly I think just go with your gut, because there are pluses for both resorts and very few minuses!

Ive stayed at both

Wilderness Lodge hands down!

Animal kingdom lodge was nice but the bus rides everywhere took me alittle out of vacation mode

Wilderness lodge on the other hand sorrounded me with disney magic. The boatride is beautiful. The grounds are lush and gorgeous. The pool is so pretty. The lobby is warm and inviting with the running springs starting indoors is a beautiful touch. Seeing the vast lake there with the geiser reeeeallly makes a gorgeous backround to the resort and leaves a lasting impression. At AKL the backround is a brown field with animals which is nice to watch animals but not as beautiful as wilderness lodge's greenery.

Our last three trips were to POFQ and we LOVED it there, for the reasons you mentioned. A couple weeks ago we spent at week at Wilderness Lodge and it was AMAZING! We had a standard view (i.e. cheapest!) room and it was perfectly fine. We were on the fourth floor and could see the Contemporary from our balcony. We couldn't see the castle because of some treetops but could see most of the fireworks! And we did come back to the room some afternoons and still never heard any construction at all from our room. Outside, a little bit, yes, but it really wasn't a big deal.

The buses were even better than POFQ--we never waited more than a few minutes and never once had a standing-room-only bus. Now, part of this could have been the fact that half the resort rooms are currently closed due to construction. In another year, who knows? But I do know none of the rides seemed long at all, even when we had to stop at the Contemporary or campground before heading out. And you're always the first stop on the way back from the parks.

Every CM we dealt with was super friendly (just like they all are at POFQ!). And I just got that laid-back, cozy, relaxing feel that we so love about POFQ. Loved just relaxing in the lobby and people watching. Walked down to the boat dock to see the water parade at night. Took the boat back from MK one night after the electrical parade and could actually see some of the fireworks from the boat!

I have to say we really loved our stay here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone!

We are in our last day at the WL,after an 8 day stay. Although it is just the two of us,we are parents to 4 and grandparents to 10, so I think I can speak to the child aspect of your question also. We love AKL,but stay at WL. We took a boat to MK and another boat to the Poly for breakfast. Then took a monorail back to MK with a boat back to WL. Had lunch at GF,taking only boats. Took Boat to MK,then monorail to TTC,then monorail to Epcotbus back to MK. Three days ago,we took a boat to MK,then bus to AKL for lunch. Having the options of bus,boat and monorail makes WL a winner when you have a baby.
The lobby at WL is not only beautiful,but peaceful. There are different areas that people use for different reasons. This week,we saw a family with small children coloring on the big tables surrounded with those huge upholstered chairs. There were people just a few feet away reading in the rocking chairs by the fireplace and in the rocking chairs by the bridge. In the middle of the lobby,there were a few families rocking their babies to sleep and others having conversations. If you'll need an area bigger than your room to walk/ rock your baby,the WL lobby is an alternative. I think the AKL lobby is gorgeous, but every time we've been there,it's full of activity ( the Fab Five characters were there when we came by for lunch). I think an older child would get more out of AKL in all their areas.
Our room is directly across the South Wing,across the courtyard. We can see into the rooms being refurbished. We have spent time in our room during the day. Never heard any construction noises. We walked to FW for dinner a few nights ago. I do prefer the walk along the water,the one that is closed now,but along our walk, we saw lots of deer and still ended up at the pony stalls,which is always fun to see.
Yes,the trees along the water are gone to make room for the bungalows,but there are still plenty around,as you walk around the resort,to make you feel like you're in the woods. The new pool also has a new child's play area.
In the end,do what your gut tells you to. Listen to that little voice. You need to go home feeling like you did what you wanted.

I've stayed at Kidani via renting points. If you want to keep cost down, consider renting DVC points. We paid the equivalent of $170 a night for a standard view. Savanna view is more but still reasonable.

There are cons (paid up front in full or 75% depending on renter/agency, strict/no cancellation depending on renter/agency, no daily housekeeping, and others) but you save a ton.

We are renting points for BLT in February of 2017 and saving over 50% off the rack rate. I can make my own bed and reuse a towel for that amount of savings and to be that close to the MK/on the monorail.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter