• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Split Stay with 2 Sets of magic Bands

Melissa2480

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone,

My family and I are heading to WDW early next month:yay:and have a split stay with AP's.

We received 2 sets of magic bands, 1 for each resort stay and they both say active on MDE, but I'm confused on whether or not both can be used interchangeably all the time. Since the second set is really for the second resort stay, can I use them during our fist resort stay?

And what about the FastPasses? Are they only attached to one or both? :headache: I'm sooo confused.

Please help!! :worship:

The bands will show as active because they are tied to your MDE account. However, I don't believe they will work interchangeably.

Hmmmm...:crazy: Well okay. Thank you guys for your input.

I called Disney and the cast member I spoke to suggested bringing both sets but choosing just one set for the whole trip. She said they need to be scanned at the hotel.

I will just be bringing both sets and will inquire once i get there.

We had a split stay in October. We also received two sets of magic bands. I was under the impression they were all active and could be used. I thought we had picked colors out for both stays but one set was the colors we had chosen and the other set was all gray bands. We packed the colored ones in our carry on bags and got them out to use at DME. When we arrived, they did not work and the CM told me that I should be using the gray ones. I told him they were packed in our other luggage. I told him that I thought they all should work. He said no and printed us out some passes and scanned those so we could board the bus. When we arrived to our resort, I went to guest services and explained what happened. I also told the CM there that we would prefer to use the colored bands for our entire trip even though we were doing a split stay. He told me the CM at DME really isn't a Disney employee and that he was wrong with the information he gave me. The resort CM said as long as your magic band is active you can use any band...even if it is five years old. He said that CM just had to click a few things on his screen and we would have been fine. The resort CM must have clicked what we needed because our magic bands worked the entire trip without incident.

Hmmmm...:crazy: Well okay. Thank you guys for your input.

I called Disney and the cast member I spoke to suggested bringing both sets but choosing just one set for the whole trip. She said they need to be scanned at the hotel.

I will just be bringing both sets and will inquire once i get there.

Both sets will work for everything the entire trip. We each have 5 sets of Magic Bands (all different colors/kinds) and all of them work for everything each trip. Our last trip was a split stay and we had no issues using any Magic Band we wanted for any given day. Our son even likes to wear 2 at a time, one on each wrist, so he can use either arm to scan at the Mickey Head.

We had a split stay in October. We also received two sets of magic bands. I was under the impression they were all active and could be used. I thought we had picked colors out for both stays but one set was the colors we had chosen and the other set was all gray bands. We packed the colored ones in our carry on bags and got them out to use at DME. When we arrived, they did not work and the CM told me that I should be using the gray ones. I told him they were packed in our other luggage. I told him that I thought they all should work. He said no and printed us out some passes and scanned those so we could board the bus. When we arrived to our resort, I went to guest services and explained what happened. I also told the CM there that we would prefer to use the colored bands for our entire trip even though we were doing a split stay. He told me the CM at DME really isn't a Disney employee and that he was wrong with the information he gave me. The resort CM said as long as your magic band is active you can use any band...even if it is five years old. He said that CM just had to click a few things on his screen and we would have been fine. The resort CM must have clicked what we needed because our magic bands worked the entire trip without incident.

I'm sure that is what the cast member I spoke to was trying to explain to me. Good to know I will be able to use both sets. I got's to match you know :rolleyes1

So let me get this straight. We are doing Split Stay and my kids are each ordering 1 band for each stay, just because they can and can switch colors. I will be having Bell services bring our luggage to 2nd resort and we won't be going to the 2nd resort until after some park time. Since our tickets (10 days) are on the package with 1st resort do we need to use the Magic Bands from 1st resort or can the kids switch?

So let me get this straight. We are doing Split Stay and my kids are each ordering 1 band for each stay, just because they can and can switch colors. I will be having Bell services bring our luggage to 2nd resort and we won't be going to the 2nd resort until after some park time. Since our tickets (10 days) are on the package with 1st resort do we need to use the Magic Bands from 1st resort or can the kids switch?
The kids can switch any time from day one. The tickets are not on your Magic Bands. The tickets are on MDE.

Your Magic Bands access data on MDE.

OK Here is my experience from november. If you note when ordering them you can opt for just one set..They are
meant to be interchangeable..each band has all your info..pass, reservations, fp, on it so you can in THEORY switch to fit your mood, i.e. one is not meant to be tied to one resort...HOWEVER technology being what it is this is not always the case.!! At first resort you should be good to go but you might want to stop and have them make sure all is well with any you plan to use. (what if you have a long walk to your room only to find you cannot get in.!) At next resort you go to the desk and have them activate (take all bands for this). We had issues two times with two different bands not activating. Some band would work for the room door others did not. They were the band tied to the other reservation. I suggest having all bands handy when arriving..airport, resorts and parks to be safe. We had no issue at the parks at all..seems like this is rare.

Last edited:
OK Here is my experience from november. If you note when ordering them you can opt for just one set..They are
meant to be interchangeable..each band has all your info..pass, reservations, fp, on it.

Actually, no. The Magic Bands don't have any of that information on them. All they have is a unique identifier that allows each Active Magic Band on your MDE account to access FP+, dining credits, memory maker, tickets, etc.

so you can in THEORY switch to fit your mood, i.e. one is not meant to be tied to one resort...HOWEVER technology being what it is this is not always the case.!! At first resort you should be good to go but you might want to stop and have them make sure all is well with any you plan to use. (what if you have a long walk to your room only to find you cannot get in.!) At next resort you go to the desk and have them activate (take all bands for this). We had issues two times with two different bands not activating. Some band would work for the room door others did not. They were the band tied to the other reservation. I suggest having all bands handy when arriving..airport, resorts and parks to be safe. We had no issue at the parks at all..seems like this is rare.

I agree that sometimes there is a hiccup and a MB will have issues. But when things work as they're supposed to, Magic Bands are interchangeable. And stopping by the Front Desk is a good idea. But the Font Desk does not Activate your Magic Bands for that resort. A Magic Band can only be activated on your MDE account. They are not Activated for specific resorts. On transfer day of a Split Stay, again there can be a hiccup as this is technology we're talking about.

Right, yes the the information is not physically on the band but beyond splitting hairs on where the info is stored which really does not factor in to the question whether they are interchangble on this discussion, the bottom line is the tech is not perfect and good to stop at the desk. I was told by a front desk CM to bring the bands to "activate" for that resort. What that means I dont know but they took them and worked on them and came back two different times saying they couldnt "activate" them did I have my other band? I suspect they were just fine for all park functions just not transferring from on resort access to another..we did not experiment and used the band the desk got working.

One other note.. unless its changed since november, even though you have a credit card in you MDE profile to have charging capability you have to add at the desk as well.

One other note.. unless its changed since november, even though you have a credit card in you MDE profile to have charging capability you have to add at the desk as well.

That's odd. Our last 4 trips we have not had to do that at the Front Desk. For those trips we have just entered our CC during Online Check in and have had full charging capabilities with all 15 of our MBs.

I think problems are the minority in a
great system. I loved using it. Whatever they do or not do at the desk, Im for stopping and if a problem have it resolved with the least hassle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter