Spirit of Aloha vs Hoop-Dee-Doo

laevson4712

Mouseketeer
Hi!

We are going to WDW in August with my parents and they want to take the kids to dinner alone. I currently have them going to Hoop-Dee-Doo but my mother thinks that I should change it to the Spirit of Aloha because my DD LOVES Moana. I'm having reservations about it because I read wonderful things about Hoop but only so-so reviews about Spirit. Can anyone that has been to both give an opinion? Thanks!

Been to both, show is good at SOA, but so is the show at HDDR and the food is better at HDDR IMO. Plus, its Aug., they will be covered but still setting outside. HDDR would be my choice

We went to both last August and really enjoyed the food and show at both places. I think either would be a good choice. :goodvibes

If you use DDP and SOA is cancelled because of the weather, you are stuck scrambling to use 2 TS credits per person.

Also, I agree with the above that August in Orlando, you want to spend some time out of heat.

I prefer HDDR, but if you have a Moana lover, I would probably pick SOA. SOA is a little corny and the first act is very slow. They do all of the traditional dances in the second act and it's pretty darn cool. They also invite some audience members to join them in dancing, which your daughter may enjoy. If you want to save a little money and not do a dinner show, you could also book O'hana dinner. They have a singer who performs Hawaiian music and the children can do the limbo and coconut racing. The food is good and it's a lot of fun!

I would stick with HoopDeeDoo. Have never heard a bad report, all ages are entertained. My cousins did SOA in the fall because he remembered going as a kid, and their kids(DS9 and DD6) did not enjoy it, I think because it was slow in the beginning as PP mentioned. He also commented the food was not great. However they loved Ohana, so agree you could do that for dinner another night for Moana theme.

Hi!

We are going to WDW in August with my parents and they want to take the kids to dinner alone. I currently have them going to Hoop-Dee-Doo but my mother thinks that I should change it to the Spirit of Aloha because my DD LOVES Moana. I'm having reservations about it because I read wonderful things about Hoop but only so-so reviews about Spirit. Can anyone that has been to both give an opinion? Thanks!

Just because your daughter loves Moana, doesn't mean she wouldn't love the antics at Hoop Dee Do. Maybe compromise and get a FastPass for a Moana greeting (if there is one) and send the kids to Hoop Dee Do. Honestly, I think your parents would like Hoop Dee Do better and the kids will like it as well. One thing - don't mention Moana and the other seating to your daughter. It shouldn't be a competition.

Another vote for HDD. As @disnut8 notes above, you won't find anything Moana-like at Spirit of Aloha.

We like the food better at HDDR.

Also, depending on your trip (and it's Florida, so it's anyone's guess) the Spirit of Aloha can be cancelled. That has happened twice to us so far.

As notes above, you won't find anything Moana-like at Spirit of Aloha.

1) Yep.
2) This is NOT a Disney-character meal.
3) It is a show-presentation-act.
4) If the kiddie is strongly looking for Moana, she will be disappointed.

Has anyone seen or heard of any changes to the show since Moana came out?

HDDR is much better, we've seen both.

If you do ohanna also, take the time to walk around the poly grounds outside. Amazing gardens

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter