Spirit of Aloha dessert

hedge333

Mouseketeer
My family of four has reservations for the Spirit of Aloha show. Our girls read descriptions and menus of several options and this was their choice. Our oldest daughter doesn't do chocolate. When we made our reservations the dessert was a bread pudding and now the menus I have seen are listing dessert as a chocolate volcano thing. Will I be able to request a different dessert, since she is a non-chocolate eater?
Thanks for the help.

editing to clarify...

I have never heard of them substituting for a preference.

I do know that they will substitute for an allergy. And I have seen more than one person on this board say "Just tell them it's an allergy". But apparently all those people are not posting today.

Last edited:
My family of four has reservations for the Spirit of Aloha show. Our girls read descriptions and menus of several options and this was their choice. Our oldest daughter doesn't do chocolate. When we made our reservations the dessert was a bread pudding and now the menus I have seen are listing dessert as a chocolate volcano thing. Will I be able to request a different dessert, since she is a non-chocolate eater?
Thanks for the help.

The website has dessert as "pineapple-coconut guava cake with chocolate crunch". The chocolate seems more like an accent than a main part of the dish.

But the OP said the kid "doesn't do chocolate" not "can't eat chocolate". Ergo it is a preference.

But if it was "can't eat" then it would be an allergy. Ergo, no need to lie.

We won't say she's allergic because she isn't. We'll work around the chocolate, if possible. If we can separate the chocolate from the rest of the cake, we will. If not, we'll locate her a non-chocolate dessert after the show. She is old enough to understand waiting for her dessert. I was just checking my options. Thanks for the info everybody.

We won't say she's allergic because she isn't. We'll work around the chocolate, if possible. If we can separate the chocolate from the rest of the cake, we will. If not, we'll locate her a non-chocolate dessert after the show. She is old enough to understand waiting for her dessert. I was just checking my options. Thanks for the info everybody.

You can always ask if there is a different option once you get there. You never know.
But I'm glad you're not taking the advice to lie about a food allergy. :goodvibes

Please don't lie about allergies. It is too serious of an issue for others to make this request a tool for preferences and not need.

I agree. I was not saying it is right. But I've never known them to sub a dessert on a set menu because of preferences.
What I disagreed with was the commenter's position that it was OK to lie and say that a person's preference to not eat something is an allergy in order to get preferential treatment.

I was not saying it was OK. I was saying that I have never heard of them substituting for a "preference". And it's NOT the first time I've seen it on here either.

The thing about lying about a food allergy is that allergies are treated with very specific kitchen protocols. These protocols make it possible for people with serious and life-threatening allergies to eat out. Every time a chef sees the word "allergy," they have to assume the customer’s condition is life-threatening and that they must avoid cross-contamination. The cooks consult a printed breakdown of ingredients in each dish to make sure the allergen isn’t hiding out in a component. They either grab new cutting boards, knives, and tongs or sanitize the ones in use. Even how the plate is brought out has to follow a protocol.

But when chefs and servers have people tell them they have an allergy, but then eat the food of others at their table, or claim a gluten "allergy" then order a beer, it often leads restaurants to be less accommodating. The people who suffer when this happens aren't people with preferences, it's the people with the allergies.

I don't know that Disney will become less accommodating. But claiming allergy isn't a "little white lie" at most TS or fixed-menu eateries. Even if they bring a dessert from another kitchen, those protocols come into play unless they're just bringing a packaged rice krispie treat or something.

So you think it's nobody's business? If lying gets them what they need that's okay? Just trying to follow your logic. :confused3

No one made you or the PP to whom I respond the buffet dessert morality police. You might want to aim that bullying judginess somewhere a little more useful in the grand scheme of things.

No one made you or the PP to whom I respond the buffet dessert morality police. You might want to aim that bullying judginess somewhere a little more useful in the grand scheme of things.

Bullying judginess? Really. I just asked you a question. If you don't want to answer the question I asked, don't.
@Dug720 clarified what she meant. I appreciate honest dialogue.

As I said before, I'm happy when people don't lie to say they have food allergies.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter