• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spinoff of New Jersey's cooks post

solferino

<font color=turquoise>Doing the best I can<br><fon
We desperately need new knives- ones that stay sharp. I hate having knives that are constantly dull!!

What do you use and or recommend? Are Henckles all they're cracked up to be? I'm at the point where I'd rather buy just a few quality needed knives- chefs, utility, etc, than a whole set. I don't think I've ever used the filet or long slicer we have in the crappy set we're using now.

Advice appreciated.

I have a set of Henckles. But my favorite knife is one I "inherited" from my nana. I'd say if you don't cook much then forgo the Henckles and just get some knives, but if you enjoy and use often then spending the extra $ may be worth it. I like your idea of buying the ones you know you'll use. I have my faves and that's all I use. Not sure if that helps:confused3

I LOVE my Henckels!

If I had to choose my favorite it would be the santoku...I use this knife every single time I cook, so just about every day...LOVE LOVE LOVE this one.

The others that top my list are the paring, serrated and the deboning. I hardly ever use the others that came with my set.

Hope this helps!

Are santoku's the ones with the shallow hollowed out curves along the blade? If so, that's my favorite of my Wusthof's. I'd bought a 5-piece regular set off Amazon when Wusthof discontinued a model, then later bought my "favorite".

I'm probably stupid & lazy, but I found the key is to keep 'em sharp. Use the steel often; once I started doing a coupla swipes every other time I used it, I had an easier time. I began also following directions on hand-washing and storage in a block.

Buy one well-made, all purpose chef's knife of a reputable brand and try it out.

I have a set of Henkels that are fine. I also have chef and bread knives that are Wustoff and they are amazing. They blow away the Henkels. If you like to cook and chopping is important to you invest in the Wustoff. It has better weight and hand feel than the Henkels chef's knife.

I have a set of Henkels that are fine. I also have chef and bread knives that are Wustoff and they are amazing. They blow away the Henkels. If you like to cook and chopping is important to you invest in the Wustoff. It has better weight and hand feel than the Henkels chef's knife.

Good to know about the weight. While I don't like to cook, I do find it more tolerable with a good knife.

For some reason I was thinking Wusthof and Henckles were the same. :confused: :confused3

We dropped a bundle on Cutco knives a few years ago and honestly don't regret it one bit.

I agree about skipping the sets and just buy what you use. I have a smallish hand so I like a medium sized general purpose knife. I have one I bought many many years ago at our food coop and it is still great. It is a MAC which is made in Japan. I see them for sale on internet places.

The santoku's are really great also. My son bought one and we all use it. It is a little heavy for me so I still go back to my MAC.

We love the Cutco big chef's knife and the bread knife is great. Love their steak knives. Those get used for all kinds of stuff.

One thing you might try is to go into Bed Bath and Beyond and talk with the sales person. They will let you handle the knives they have. Perhaps you might buy one each month or so using their 20% off coupons? I know they have Henkels and several other brands.

This is my first thread spinoff! :woohoo: I should play the lottery tonight.

I will ask the BF what he has - they are fantastic. I used one last weekend to cut fruit for a smoothie and then I used the bread knife the other night to cut italian bread for dinner. I never saw a better set of knives. I believe he got them at Williams Sonoma but I will ask.

I have a HUGE set of knives from Ronco that I ADORE!

We use Lamson Sharp knives, and absolutely love them.

Denae

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter