Special trip for 8 years old and mom, what to do?

momto2js

DIS Veteran
Trying to plan for a mid March trip for just my 8 year old and I (my oldest will be skiing with DH in Utah). I have a couple of options but my major concern is that we are not "crowd" people. We generally go in September. We do have a couple old tickets but I can't get them loaded in to MDE, so no advanced fast passes. Are there ways to effectively tour with day of fast passes? The crowd calenders seem to thing that Sunday might be the best day of the week that time of year. Does that seem logical?

Our other option is to do discovery cove, and the Busch parks that are more manageable even when busy. Any thoughts?

I love that you are doing special one-on-one trips with your kids!!

With just the two of you, it will be easy to manage your reaction to the crowds, because you can take breaks whenever you feel like it. The reason people get overwhelmed at Disney is often that are trying to cram in everything everyone in their group wants to do. With just you and one child, you can always change your plans and find a quiet spot to decompress for a bit.

I would ask at guest relations once you get to your resort if they can link your tickets there. They may even be able to book Fast Passes for you as well. (Last time we went, we changed our plans for our last day from a second round at Epcot to a day at HS. The desk in our hotel was wonderful about helping us out, and got us a couple of things that worked for us, even the day before.)

As for crowds, unless you are night owls who will be miserable getting up early, the best thing you can do is get there before opening! More people than you think simply don't want to do that on vacation, and you really can get a lot done before it gets crowded.

Also, Easter isn't until April this year, so March may be less crowded than usual.

Good luck, and have a magical trip!

I've been doing trips to Disney with just my daughter (now 8) and me, and we've loved every single one. Like the poster above said, being just the two of you, it's really so much easier to stay flexible, take breaks when needed, and just do what you both want to do. Every trip has felt, well, magical, regardless of crowd levels or time of year. You'll have a fantastic time. Have an amazing trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter