Speaking of cat pee...

ohiomom28

DIS Veteran
We have 2 and we think we know which one is doing it. We caught it right away since it was in our living room corner. Cleaned it up with the steam cleaner and when we went on vacation we came back to more. I'm assuming they didn't like the guy we had staying here while we were gone lol. I have struggled with cleaning this since the beginning of May. I found a mixture of baking soda, peroxide and Dawn that works for the most part but they have peed in the same corner twice since. I don't know what else to do. They are spade females..aged 2 and 4. They have both been to the vet and have a clean bill of health. Any ideas???

We have 2 and we think we know which one is doing it. We caught it right away since it was in our living room corner. Cleaned it up with the steam cleaner and when we went on vacation we came back to more. I'm assuming they didn't like the guy we had staying here while we were gone lol. I have struggled with cleaning this since the beginning of May. I found a mixture of baking soda, peroxide and Dawn that works for the most part but they have peed in the same corner twice since. I don't know what else to do. They are spade females..aged 2 and 4. They have both been to the vet and have a clean bill of health. Any ideas???

I've never known anything to really get pee smell outta carpet coz it generally seeps down to the wood or concrete, especially if it's been there for awhile.

I'd rip out the carpet, clean the foundation real good 'n try again. I had a male cat spray my fireplace once, then the TV, not sure where he sprayed the 3rd time, he didn't live with me after the 2nd chance.

Try Febreeze, it's very good at getting smells out, I think they even have one with enzymes or something just for pets. It worked for me. :)

nature's miracle works very well for dogs. I would isolate the offending kitty in a small space for awhile with her litter pan, like a bathroom. After a day or two of her doing ok I'd give her a bit bigger space and then give her the run of things. While you are doing this give it a few treatments with nature's miracle. If this doesn't work you may have to replace carpet. But she may not be going because of the smell. It might have become a habit. What if you clean it really well and put a throw rug down there with the litter pan over it for awhile?

I will try anything but the space is behind the end table at the end of the couch and I really can't rearrange my furniture a different way :( Tomorrow I am going to steam clean it again. I think I'm gonna have to try that Natures Miracle.

We had a cat that peed in a certain area in our family room. She had had previous bladder issues and had even had surgery. I tried confining her in a room with just her and a litter box, I tried separate litter boxes (we have 2 cats), I tried different kinds of cat litter and a couple different litter boxes even. But she liked that one spot in the family room. Well, I tried everything to get that smell out!! Nature's miracle (many times!), Pine sol (I heard that this worked but it just made the carpet dry and crusty - yuck!), a bowl of vinegar next to the spot so they don't try to go near it again, steam cleaning, you name it I tried it. We finally had to rip up the carpet and give the floor underneath a really good cleaning, then had new carpet installed. Since we have DD, we put up a baby gate so that our cat could not come in to that room. Unfortunately shortly after this (about a month ago) we had to put the cat down for several issues, this being one of them.

OP, I wish you good luck with getting the smell out. :goodvibes Unfortunately it can be one of those scents that lingers. I hope you can find the reason they are peeing there.

The reason they keep peeing there is because they smell their own pee and think it's OK to go there. The problem with cat pee is the smell is very permeating, it's probably in the floorboards by now. I've never really found much that takes the cat pee smell out all the way but Nature's Miracle does work some, it's what we use here and we have 3 cats and 1 dog. :)
Good luck!!

Put aluminum foil over the area and the cat won't walk on it. If you do this for awhile, maybe she will forget about "her" spot.

Nature's Miracle works, but there are a few tricks to it. First, it must be fresh. If you have a bottle and keep it in storage for a year, the enzymes die and it will no longer work. Only buy what you need and use it fresh.

Completely soak the area, don't spray it on, pour it. It has to get into the carpet pad. Then let it air dry completely. You can lay foil over the area as it dries. Don't use a steam cleaner until it is 100% dry (about a week). The enzyme eats part of the urine that smells, once it does it's work, the smell will be gone. It will look dirty, so after it dries you can use the steam cleaner.

As a warning, once you pour it on, for the next 24-48 hours will smell much worse then it did before. This means it's working and as it dries the smell will disappear.

Once you figure out which cat is the problem, I'd recommend you go to the vet and make sure there's no urinary track infection. If it's not a UTI, after cleaning the carpet, spray the area twice a day with Feliway spray, that's a pheromone cat scent. If they smell it they think they've already marked the area. The spray works better then the plug ins.

If you still find pee, you can talk to your vet and ask for behavior medicine. I had to put my cat on feline Prozac (fluoxetine) for 6 months and she's been on good behavior for about 2 years now since finishing the medicine. If you do end up going with medicine, I'd recommend paying extra to get it as a liquid. It's easier to give liquid medicine to cats then pills and easier to gradually reduce the dosage to wean them off the meds.

We are becoming experts on this very subject. We have had that problem with two different cats. If it is not a UTI, and nothing physical can be found, talk to your vet about Prozac. It has had success with some cats.

For the smell. After going through all the big name products, we have settled on two that seem to work well. Anti-Icky Poo or Kids and Pets (sometimes can be found in Walmart). If the spot is carpeted you will need to follow the directions carefully, the urine passes through the fibers into the pad, and that is where it is really hard to treat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter