• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space Shuttle Launches Viewing Tips? Etc?

We are staying at Pop during the next night time launch. I was wondering if it is possible to see it from the Pop Resort and where might be the best place to take a stroll to see it if we are staying there?

Ben, I have room at the Clarion in Titusville for March 12. Is the view from the Clarion good or would you recommend driving further up the road? I don't want to get stuck in the traffic - I have two kids (10 and 7), and like the idea of hanging at the pool at the Clarion until closer to launch (like one of the posters on this board did). Are you familiar with the area where the Clarion is located? Thanks for any tips you can provide.

Ben, I have room at the Clarion in Titusville for March 12. Is the view from the Clarion good or would you recommend driving further up the road? I don't want to get stuck in the traffic - I have two kids (10 and 7), and like the idea of hanging at the pool at the Clarion until closer to launch (like one of the posters on this board did). Are you familiar with the area where the Clarion is located? Thanks for any tips you can provide.

You definitely want to go down to the river's edge for the best view. I am not positive as to where your hotel is, however, it might be on the river. If not, yea, walk (or drive) down.

We were visiting Epcot last May and knew there was to be an afternoon launch. We asked a cast member which direction we should look in to see the shuttle launch. After finding a good spot to view from, we started watching the skyline (and started getting strange looks from other park guests as we stared at apparently nothing).

Blah blah blah........ here are a few pictures. The launch occured right over test track, and we viewed from the walkway between Future World and World Showcase.

2008disneyvacationflorida532.jpg

2008disneyvacationflorida531.jpg

2008disneyvacationflorida535.jpg

I see in the news today that the new launch date is 3/11. Does anybody know how long this mission is going to last? We'll be at WDW 3/25-4/1 and would love to hear the sonic boom if it happens to land at KSC while we're there. Can you hear the boom at WDW? I thought I'd read that you can.

To those in the know you can't see anything during a landing from WDW can you?

I see in the news today that the new launch date is 3/11. Does anybody know how long this mission is going to last? We'll be at WDW 3/25-4/1 and would love to hear the sonic boom if it happens to land at KSC while we're there. Can you hear the boom at WDW? I thought I'd read that you can.

To those in the know you can't see anything during a landing from WDW can you?

If it launches the 11th landing should be around the 25 or 26, though a mission extension of a day or two is always a possibility.

As the boom goes, we were not able to hear it from our position at Epcot, but perhaps from a more quiet spot than one of the parks you could.

As the boom goes, we were not able to hear it from our position at Epcot, but perhaps from a more quiet spot than one of the parks you could.

So it's not rattle the windows loud? Excuse my ignorance I'm from NE so seeing the shuttle launch or land is foreign to me but I'd sure love to see it!

The boom is indeed rattle your windows loud, but you have to be under or near the flight path of entry to really hear it (say 30 miles either side). The shuttle does not always come in over Orlando on the way home.

The launch has been pushed back to the 15th.

I'm so excited! It will happen while we are there. I have waited my entire life to see this. I hope that I'll be able to see it.

The launch has been pushed back to the 15th.

I'm so excited! It will happen while we are there. I have waited my entire life to see this. I hope that I'll be able to see it.
You mean you HOPE it happens when you're here. I've been through enough launches to know nothing is certain especially with four days to go. I wouldn't start holding my breath just yet. I hope it does go off Sunday evening but lots can happen between now and then. Just trying to warn you.

We arrive on Sunday 3/15 and I hear that the launch has been delayed until 7:54 PM that night.

I have driven over and seen several launches from the coast. Where in the Orlando area or WDW is the best place to look for it?

Thanks

I can see the launches from my front yard. It's pretty spectacular.

Like wildeoscar said, anywhere where you can get a good view of the eastern skyline, you should be able to see it. I never thought of being in the hub, but I think that would be a perfect place. No trees around, no big buildings. I'm not sure if it will be quiet enough there to hear it, but my neighborhood is so quiet, you can hear the engines.

Or if the hub doesn't suit you, you could come stand in my front yard...haha.

Actually we will be at the WL. I thought the best place might be on the beach there or the beach at CR.

Everest...at the highest point. Just arrange to get the car stuck up there.

The Canadian Pavilion might work. Go to the top platform and look east.

The nice thing is to have a low, very dark horizon. We can see the moment of ignition even as far north as Savannah. When they are going to the station, we can see the whole flight up until main engine cut-off. It's spectacularrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

the dock at CR

too many trees at WL

That was my thought. From the dosck at CR looking over Bay Lake I think it should be over Discovey Island. From WL I think it might be too close to the shoreline and you are right, too many trees.

In 1998, we watched a space shuttle launch from the Rose & Crown restaurant at the UK in Epcot. Great place to watch over the lagoon as it zoomed up from behind Mexico pavilion.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter