Souvenirs Question

rjrcstan

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone,

I am bringing my two boys for the first time this November and I know that they are going to want to buy everything they see. They will especially want to create their own light sabers. I was planning on giving them each a gift card with a set amount so that they can be in charge of their purchases and understand that once the card has run out of money that's it. My question is do most places where souvenirs are sold accept gift cards or should i put everything on the magic bands and pay the balance at the hotel with the gift cards?

Thanks!

Everywhere in WDWtakes the Disney gift card. We are doing this for our 4 yr old this trip he was able to cash in change and get a gift card to buy stuff with. Depending on their ages or if you would be charging to the band. We don't usually charge to our mb we can keep better track paying in cash/debit card then charging to the mb.

We are planning to do the gift card thing for our older kids as well! I'm pretty sure everywhere in Disney will take them, but if anything weird happens and there's a souvenir they really wanted and they didn't accept gift cards then I'd just use my MB. :)

How old are the kids?

If they are old enough to understand the concept of a gift card they take them everywhere.

If they are little, mine always did better with cash when they were little because they could physically see their money disappearing.

Yes they take the gift cards. If they are old enough to understand then do the gift cards, if not then just charge to mb. I bought $100 gift card for my 12 year old daughter with her money and if she wanted something big I told her to wait until the end to be sure there was nothing else she wanted.

Absolutely! Each of our kids gets a $50 gift card to spend in Disney.

We do encourage them to "shop" during the week, instead of buying the first thing they see, and then we set aside time at the end of the trip to pick up what they decided on.

You can always take pictures of what they want. That way they can look at each item and then go back and buy it. If it were me I would use cash just in case they change their mind and you need to return it will make it quicker. But that is me.

Just a word of advice as someone who shops waaaay too much in WDW (and everywhere else :rotfl: ) depending on what the thing they want is, you may want to pick it up for them right then and then give it to them later if that's what they've chosen at the end of the trip, or something like that, because some things are impossible to find again if you don't buy it right when you see it.

We are doing the gift cards as well. Was thinking of doing one for each park and breaking up the money that way.

I actually found that WDW is the one place my kids DON'T ask for everything they see. To begin with, we tell them at the start of the trip that they can have ONE souvenir for the trip that costs a reasonable amount
of money. On one trip they chose an inexpensive light up stick and a stuffed animal. On another they each chose light sabers.

The main reason I think they are so good about not asking for "stuff" is that there is excitement wherever they turn. Fun games to play, things to interact with, things to watch. Standing in line can be fun. Meals are exciting. Snack time is exciting. Being in the hotel is exciting. Hanging by the pool is fun. They are so stimulated they don't even think to ask.

The one exception was when their grandpa, in contravention of our "one snack a day after lunch" rule, promised them popcorn right after rope drop. I said no and whining ensued. I gave in and they had popcorn for a mid morning snack. Not my best parenting moment but I didn't want to ruin a morning in MK over popcorn.

Last edited:
My kids each get a gift card and then they bring some of their own money...it was a joy counting pennies for some thing, thankfully there was no line. And I did not realize they all brought $20 or so in change!

They know how much they have and I usually tell them they can buy something in downtown Disney aka Disney springs.

My kids are good with knowing how much they have and can spend and if they are short we will help out but they end up buying the bulk of it. Thankfully they have listened to me say no after the "can I get ..." All their life. My oldest is 15 and we were just in target and she is finally getting the value of a dollar and cringed when she saw the price of a work out shirt. She has some Nike money and was saving up for $175 sneakers which she just reached but found pants she liked Bette treat were $10 cheaper on line then at the outlets and she had free shipping and it was tax free week so she was excited...me too since I didn't have to spend my money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter