• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest on-line check in

I was on a SW flight many years ago. It was right after SW started the new style of boarding, and I was in the A group, about A20 or so. I boarded, sat down in the third row, window. I watched as a large group boarded....about 8-10 people. They were obviously traveling together. They plopped down in pairs....window and aisle seats. Took 4 or 5 rows, all in the front. People boarded, looked at those empty seats...and were told 'Sorry, this seat is saved' and they would shrug and move on. Well, as the C group boarded, the flight attendant announced that it was going to be a pretty full flight, so if you see an empty seat, sit in it. Man, you never saw people scurry so fast! That family that had 'saved' all those middle seats were now trying to move those empty seats so they didn't have strangers sitting in the middle seats!! I know we all love having an empty middle seat next to us, but that just doesn't happen all that often now that they are flying fewer planes!! Imagine how thrilled some in the late C group were to find seats together, in the front of the plane!!!

Sadly, SW doesn't have a seat saving policy. I wish they did. It outs the onus on the passenger to settle the issue. Not always a good thing.

Yeah. Its not a good policy and good cause people to get nasty. Flights to Orlando can be worse then others do to the large amount of families too.

This is the one reason I'm always hesitant to give Southwest a try. Especially to Orlando where the bulk of the passengers have little kids that allow them to circumvent boarding procedure.

Once saw a family of about 14 people with 1 kid who was young enough for family boarding try to ALL get on early. That didn't end well.

This is the one reason I'm always hesitant to give Southwest a try. Especially to Orlando where the bulk of the passengers have little kids that allow them to circumvent boarding procedure.

Once saw a family of about 14 people with 1 kid who was young enough for family boarding try to ALL get on early. That didn't end well.

My last few flights, they have announced 2 adults and siblings only. I have seen them turn away grandparents, told them to go to the number on their pass.

The part that bugs me is people get into the family line with kids obviously older than 6. They don’t ask age.

I fly SWA often and I know how you feel - ime they have gotten better over the years about the boarding process and keeping the pre-boards and family boarding to those who qualify.

Then I fly AA and have group 1 boarding and folks with group 4 and 5 flat out refuse to move so you can get to the gate and decide SWA's process is just fine LOL

I just try and pack extra patience when I fly :)

Hi everyone. First time booking a SW flight for my family for our Thanksgiving trip. Arrival on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 22) and depart on Sunday Dec. 2. Me, wife, 3 boys (14, 9, 6). I personally just flew solo a month ago, so I saw how the check-in process works. Now, we do not have any sort of A club or preferred scenario. But we will be using the rewards points to book our flights in and out of BWI. My understanding is that the new batch of flights open for booking on May 31. I've heard some people say that there are the best prices first thing when the window opens? If this is true, is it the best prices from standard or is there a special promotions area I need to go to first. Based on our schedule, we absolutely must get the first flight in of the day, must arrive before 10, because Thanksgiving dinner is the 2:30 Mickey's Backyard BBQ. We really wanted the 5:30, but that apparently is all sold out. Our outbound is more flexible, though we do have a 3 hour drive from BWI to home, so we don't want to be too late.

I've heard people talk about their family being split up, or only part of the family doing family boarding. My 6yo will have his stroller (it functions like a wheelchair for him - his special needs are interesting, and he is an impulsive runner). I already called SW, and they said they don't need a doctor's note or anything, so they can check it at boarding. But outside of that, he's strong and fast, so I would have to accompany him, but my oldest and middle also have combinations of autism and ADHD and can get easily confused. Would it really be possible or likely that we get split up in boarding? All our tickets will be purchased together in one transaction, so I don't see why there would be any different confirmation or reservation numbers. We just can't afford any unsuspecting surprises (other than the surprise for the kids - they have no clue we are even going to WDW, and the plan is to simply not tell them at all!)

Hi everyone. First time booking a SW flight for my family for our Thanksgiving trip. Arrival on Thanksgiving Day (Nov. 22) and depart on Sunday Dec. 2. Me, wife, 3 boys (14, 9, 6). I personally just flew solo a month ago, so I saw how the check-in process works. Now, we do not have any sort of A club or preferred scenario. But we will be using the rewards points to book our flights in and out of BWI. My understanding is that the new batch of flights open for booking on May 31. I've heard some people say that there are the best prices first thing when the window opens? If this is true, is it the best prices from standard or is there a special promotions area I need to go to first. Based on our schedule, we absolutely must get the first flight in of the day, must arrive before 10, because Thanksgiving dinner is the 2:30 Mickey's Backyard BBQ. We really wanted the 5:30, but that apparently is all sold out. Our outbound is more flexible, though we do have a 3 hour drive from BWI to home, so we don't want to be too late.

I've heard people talk about their family being split up, or only part of the family doing family boarding. My 6yo will have his stroller (it functions like a wheelchair for him - his special needs are interesting, and he is an impulsive runner). I already called SW, and they said they don't need a doctor's note or anything, so they can check it at boarding. But outside of that, he's strong and fast, so I would have to accompany him, but my oldest and middle also have combinations of autism and ADHD and can get easily confused. Would it really be possible or likely that we get split up in boarding? All our tickets will be purchased together in one transaction, so I don't see why there would be any different confirmation or reservation numbers. We just can't afford any unsuspecting surprises (other than the surprise for the kids - they have no clue we are even going to WDW, and the plan is to simply not tell them at all!)

With their conditions, I would ask for a pre-board blue sleeve. You would get on before A.

Wondering can you book reward points as a group? I've always put them in indivdually which means everyone has a different boarding confirmation number. Anyone have insight into this?

From what I see when I check rates, I can select 5 adults and have the dates listed in points. This is the beginning of the purchase/booking process, so I presume that I would just need to make the passengers, but it would be one transaction number. Or is it one transaction number with 5 different confirmation numbers?

From what I see when I check rates, I can select 5 adults and have the dates listed in points. This is the beginning of the purchase/booking process, so I presume that I would just need to make the passengers, but it would be one transaction number. Or is it one transaction number with 5 different confirmation numbers?

If booking everyone on points it will be one Confirmation number. It didn't used to be this way but it is a welcome change.

The part that bugs me is people get into the family line with kids obviously older than 6. They don’t ask age.

kind of like Disney; had a co-worker that said his son was under 3 when he was 5; had no problem getting his kid into the Park for free, and his son was pretty tall for his age. they go every year so twice he lied about the age.

Im flying this fall with my 8 yr old Daughter from BNA to MCO and it worries me that 6yrs old is the oldest for family boarding. I wouldnt like her first flight ever to be by herself not to mention all the news stories of idiots exposing themselves and fighting on flights. After reading this thread its making me wish I had bought the EBC when I got our tickets

Im flying this fall with my 8 yr old Daughter from BNA to MCO and it worries me that 6yrs old is the oldest for family boarding. I wouldnt like her first flight ever to be by herself not to mention all the news stories of idiots exposing themselves and fighting on flights. After reading this thread its making me wish I had bought the EBC when I got our tickets

You can still add it to your reservation if your willing to pay for it. In my experience even if you end up in the B's you should have no problem towards the back the plan seating together. If you don't want to pay for it just make sure your online at the 24 hours mark to get the best you can. I think you should be ok if your only worried about 2 of you.

You can still add it to your reservation if your willing to pay for it. In my experience even if you end up in the B's you should have no problem towards the back the plan seating together. If you don't want to pay for it just make sure your online at the 24 hours mark to get the best you can. I think you should be ok if your only worried about 2 of you.

And really NO PERSON EVER wants to sit next to someone else's unattended kid...at least no sane person ever.

At least from where I fly to MCO, those flights are chock full of families and golfers. I don't think I've ever seen someone's kid stuck with random strangers.

And really NO PERSON EVER wants to sit next to someone else's unattended kid...at least no sane person ever.

At least from where I fly to MCO, those flights are chock full of families and golfers. I don't think I've ever seen someone's kid stuck with random strangers.

This is a good point but it does happen. My co-worker just came back from Atlanta and she told us on the flight back and she was sitting next to do minors who's parents were sitting in the front of the plane. She made a big mistake and asking them if they would like some of her Ginger Ale. They both said yes and she shared with them. Found out the girl was a diabetic and she had some major reaction to it. Caused a medical issue. Not sure why she ever offered anything to kids she didn't know.

My daughter is in 3rd grade and is almost as tall as I am, however she has a classmate who is easily 5'5" tall. You wouldnt think she was in 3rd grade looking at her more like 6 or 7th. And yes she is 9 both of her parents are well over 6 ft. So you really cant judge a kids age by the way they look.
My last few flights, they have announced 2 adults and siblings only. I have seen them turn away grandparents, told them to go to the number on their pass.

My daughter is in 3rd grade and is almost as tall as I am, however she has a classmate who is easily 5'5" tall. You wouldnt think she was in 3rd grade looking at her more like 6 or 7th. And yes she is 9 both of her parents are well over 6 ft. So you really cant judge a kids age by the way they look.

One time I was sitting behind a family with kids at the gate. The mom made a comment that they had C and she should have got online earlier. When they called for family boarding, the dad said let’s go, we’re a family. The mom said but they aren’t 6 or under. He said let’s go. They were the last in line, they looked 8 or 10. Got on, no questions. So regardless of how they looked, I know they were over 6 from the conversation. Someone also recently posted on this board that they got in line with their 10year old and were allowed on. So it is abused.

Ahh ok... crazy... I wouldnt do that out of respect for other passengers.
One time I was sitting behind a family with kids at the gate. The mom made a comment that they had C and she should have got online earlier. When they called for family boarding, the dad said let’s go, we’re a family. The mom said but they aren’t 6 or under. He said let’s go. They were the last in line, they looked 8 or 10. Got on, no questions. So regardless of how they looked, I know they were over 6 from the conversation. Someone also recently posted on this board that they got in line with their 10year old and were allowed on. So it is abused.

Overall in every airline the family boarding is abused. It is meant to get them settled in for the flight without holding up everyone else but people just do it on Southwest to get on the plane without paying the extra fee. When flying to Orlando I believe that it is necessary to pay for the early bird and I do so without question. I probably am in the minority that do it and actually go to the back of the plane. I prefer the back of the plane because I am never in a hurry to get off the plane fast unless I have a connection to make. If I have a connection to make then I sit in the front of the plane but I still pay for the early bird so I can guarantee me overhead space for my carry on luggage as I am not wanting to have my bag under my feet fo 6 hours. I think Southwest should not even have family boarding available since they don't assign seats.

A 1-30 can never be "booked" by just hitting the check in on the app. A 1-30 is reserved for business class people or those who "pay" for the high priority boarding.

Since the orlando trip is a big vacation run and not as popular for business flights, you will frequently see....no one in line from A 10-30......

Bottom line is...dont worry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter