SOURDOUGH! Calling all bakers!

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
Who here bakes sourdough bread with a starter?

Let's start a thread so we can discuss recipes, methods, tools, tips and tricks.

I got a hefty 'challenger' look a like for christmas and I need a new set of potholders! What have you?

I'm working through several different recipes, trying to see which gives me the best oven spring, ear, crumb etc.

This morning I got my best blisters on my loaves!

Making bread has always alluded me, not that I haven't tried. I've always wondered about Sourdough starter...is that something you buy at a specialty store or make or what??? How does one go about the starter, and it seems like something people keep around for a long time?

I recently got some starter from my daughter's college roommate's mother.

First round of bread looked like biscotti. Had more success on round 2, using bread pans versus a cookie sheet.

Overnight pancakes tasted okay, maybe a little rubbery. Would have benefitted from the addition of fruit/spices.

Blueberry pancakes tasted good, but didn't have much body to them. They weren't an overnight recipe, recipe called for letting the milk/eggs come to room temperature if possible. We didn't do that, so suspect that was the issue. I'd try that recipe again, with warmer eggs and milk.

My DD bought me a sourdough cookbook for Christmas, so that's what I've been working off of. I'm still pretty new to it.

Making bread has always alluded me, not that I haven't tried. I've always wondered about Sourdough starter...is that something you buy at a specialty store or make or what??? How does one go about the starter, and it seems like something people keep around for a long time?
You make the starter once, then keep feeding it and taking some to use. I keep mine in the fridge, and feed/take some out every few days. I have a recipe to start with a package of yeast, if you're interested.

Make a lot of other types of bread but never been one for sourdough. You can probably find a lot of proven/reliable recipes online. I believe you let water/flour ferment in the refrig to get the 'starter' going. You add more flour/water to it as it sits between uses.

The way to compare various bread recipes is look at the ratio of the main ingredients like flour/sugar/eggs/butter/milk. Most bread recipes use very similar ingredients. One pkg of instant yeast is generally good for up to 4C of flour. Cake yeast has a very short shelf-life and most stores no longer sell it. The various types of dry yeast work just as well and last much longer.

Over the years I have found my stand mixer does the best job of kneading dough. Kneading is what develops the gluten that gives bread it distinct chew. Gave up on bread machines as those tiny twirling blades were never powerful enough to effectively knead the dough. While you can knead the dough by hand, it is a LOT more work. Stand mixer does a much better job.

Some starter info:

You can make your own 'wild yeast' starter at home,but it can take two weeks before it's ready to use. I spent ten bucks and ordered one from KA flour company. It came in a little jar and I fed it, per the instructions.

People who bake constantly keep the jar of starter out on the counter and weigh it, feed it water and flour and let it grow.One or two times a day. Every time they feed, they remove some of the existing starter to make room for the new fed starter as it does grow and can bubble up and out of the jar!

The part you get rid of before you feed is called discard and there's a whole world of recipes out there for crackers (making several pans right now), waffles, pancakes, etc etc.

Since I bake about once a week, I keep my jar of starter in the frig and feed it the day before I want to mix my dough. So I only feed about every 5-6 days. Equal amounts of flour and water to how much starter I'm keeping...typically 100-150 grams of starter.

Some starter info:

You can make your own 'wild yeast' starter at home,but it can take two weeks before it's ready to use. I spent ten bucks and ordered one from KA flour company. It came in a little jar and I fed it, per the instructions.

People who bake constantly keep the jar of starter out on the counter and weigh it, feed it water and flour and let it grow.One or two times a day. Every time they feed, they remove some of the existing starter to make room for the new fed starter as it does grow and can bubble up and out of the jar!

The part you get rid of before you feed is called discard and there's a whole world of recipes out there for crackers (making several pans right now), waffles, pancakes, etc etc.

Since I bake about once a week, I keep my jar of starter in the frig and feed it the day before I want to mix my dough. So I only feed about every 5-6 days. Equal amounts of flour and water to how much starter I'm keeping...typically 100-150 grams of starter.
That's different from the starter recipe I got. I feed mine sugar and potato flakes. My DH did comment that it doesn't taste as strong as some sourdoughs--that may be why.

Starter fed with potato flakes makes potato bread. While utterly delicious and something I used to make, this is 100% different. This only has flour and water and wild yeast caught from the environment. It creates an amazing thing for the gut as my acid reflux has disappeared.

Keeping it covered in the refrig seems like a safer option. Who knows what random bacteria is floating around in the air. You could end up with a moldy science project before too long...........LOL.

I made a lot of sourdough during the early stuck at home days of the pandemic. It’s not difficult, it’s just a matter of learning to read the dough. Where people mess up is the proofing and either over or under proofing. I like watching Foodgeek’s videos. The Perfect Loaf is also a good site as well. Learning baker’s percentages can help you create your own recipes. I like using a mix of bread flour, spelt, and rye. I keep my starter in the fridge.

Right now I'm working on what jar I want to use. My first was too narrow. Then too small. Now I'm using a pickle jar which is great, but I'd love a straight wall weck jar.

I do like to keep a decent amt of starter so I can share, and I keep a back up jar or two in a quart mason jar. Sharing a lot lately. So much to feed though so making tons of crackers.

I'd love to know more about yall's favorite recipe. I'm trying different ones. The one I baked today was so high hydration it was a bit hard to work with but beautiful and delicious.

I haven't tried to make my own starter but getting one ready to go is a great way to start. Mine was from a 100-year old 'mother' starter and it's bubbly and so active every time I feed.

Starter fed with potato flakes makes potato bread. While utterly delicious and something I used to make, this is 100% different. This only has flour and water and wild yeast caught from the environment. It creates an amazing thing for the gut as my acid reflux has disappeared.
This makes sense--I wasn't really going to do sourdough, when DD20 mentioned the roommate and her mother's sourdough, so that's what I got. It started with a yeast packet, not wild yeast. That could also explain why it acts a little different in the pancake recipes.

Love Sourdough and have been thinking about doing a starter this coming month. As an fyi, a true sourdough has no added yeast. It is simple flour and water that ferments and creates its own yeast. That is what gives it the “sour” taste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter