• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sounds crazy but can I buy a Disney Gift Card with a Disney Gift Card?

twocat

80 miles door-to-door to Disney.
I'm heading to Food and Wine in about a month and will want to purchase one of those handy gift cards you can wear on your wrist and POSSIBLY the special $200 F & W gift card with the lanyard.

Can I use Disney gift cards that I've purchased elsewhere (Winn-Dixie, Target) to purchase these 2 types of gift cards?

I'm heading to Food and Wine in about a month and will want to purchase one of those handy gift cards you can wear on your wrist and POSSIBLY the special $200 F & W gift card with the lanyard.

Can I use Disney gift cards that I've purchased elsewhere (Winn-Dixie, Target) to purchase these 2 types of gift cards?
I don't think you can... not 100% sure though, but typically not. BUT what you can now do is combine multiple Disney gift cards into one. So, you could technically buy the limited edition one and transfer the funds from your others onto it and use it to pay for anything else at the WDW.

If you are staying onsite, charge the new Gift Card to your room account and then apply your Target/Winn Dixie gift cards to your room account back at your resort.

If you are staying onsite, charge the new Gift Card to your room account and then apply your Target/Winn Dixie gift cards to your room account back at your resort.

OP here.

Brilliant!
Since I'm traveling solo this trip I don't foresee charging much more than $200 this trip. It'll be for the food booths and an occasional meal over 4 nights/5 days since everything else I've paid for already.

I'll just charge it to my Magic Band since I think you can only get the limited edition $200 gift cards at the Festival Center.

@Lesverts - not sure what you mean by money laundering. Not sure how it would apply but what do I know! :laundy:

I tried to charge a Disney gift card to my room account, and 2 different cast members at 2 different locations would not let me.

I tried to charge a Disney gift card to my room account, and 2 different cast members at 2 different locations would not let me.
Was the amount of the gift card putting you over your charging limit for your room account? I wonder if this has happened to others?

Was the amount of the gift card putting you over your charging limit for your room account? I wonder if this has happened to others?
No, I wasn't anywhere near my limit.
Have you been successful doing this? If so, I will definately try again. Thanks.

No, I wasn't anywhere near my limit.
Have you been successful doing this? If so, I will definately try again. Thanks.
I'll be onsite in a couple of weeks and will try it out and report back to you! :)

OP here.

Brilliant!
Since I'm traveling solo this trip I don't foresee charging much more than $200 this trip. It'll be for the food booths and an occasional meal over 4 nights/5 days since everything else I've paid for already.

I'll just charge it to my Magic Band since I think you can only get the limited edition $200 gift cards at the Festival Center.

@Lesverts - not sure what you mean by money laundering. Not sure how it would apply but what do I know! :laundy:

It has become common for people to use gift cards as a way to launder money. Especially in frauds. You get a mark to pay you in gift cards and then use the gift cards to repeatedly buy other gift cards so that the money can no long be traced. We got a memo at work that the RCMP has put in guidelines for merchants to not except gift cards (and visa/mastercard gift cards) as payment for gift cards. I did some research and US law enforcement has the same merchant guidelines.

It has become common for people to use gift cards as a way to launder money. Especially in frauds. You get a mark to pay you in gift cards and then use the gift cards to repeatedly buy other gift cards so that the money can no long be traced. We got a memo at work that the RCMP has put in guidelines for merchants to not except gift cards (and visa/mastercard gift cards) as payment for gift cards. I did some research and US law enforcement has the same merchant guidelines.

Well, I had no idea! Thank you for that info, @Lesverts!

We got a memo at work that the RCMP has put in guidelines for merchants to not except gift cards (and visa/mastercard gift cards) as payment for gift cards. US law enforcement has the same merchant guidelines.

Kind of an across-the-border enforcement issue.

duesouthconvention.jpg

We have used Disney Gift Cards to pay down our charges at Disney resorts (as late as this past June). What they wouldn't let us do, is to put the gift card on file at check in. We had to actually have charges made against our room & then apply a gift card against those charges. So we would basically go to the front desk every couple of days to apply our Gift Cards.
When we cruise with Disney you are allowed to apply your Disney Gift Cards to your account once you board the ship, before any purchases are made on board.

I know you can't charge park tickets (or even upgrades) to your room. I wouldn't be surprised if gift cards were likewise restricted.

The answer is no. I tried doing this a year or two ago. Disney would not let me buy a F&W gift card with a regular Disney gift card. So, I said charge it to my room and I figured I would just apply the Disney gift card to my room charges. Nope, can't do that either.

I know you can't charge park tickets (or even upgrades) to your room. I wouldn't be surprised if gift cards were likewise restricted.

We charged our quest tickets right to our room via mb. Why cant you charge tickets or room upgrades to your room payments?

The answer is no. I tried doing this a year or two ago. Disney would not let me buy a F&W gift card with a regular Disney gift card. So, I said charge it to my room and I figured I would just apply the Disney gift card to my room charges. Nope, can't do that either.
Did they explain why it can't be done? With all purchases getting charged to the credit card on file, I wonder if it's because there is a delay before the purchase is actually processed and charged to the credit card back at the resort level.

I can ask for clarification when I'm there.

You most definitely can charge tickets and upgrades to your room account.

You cannot buy a gift card with a gift card.

You most definitely can charge tickets and upgrades to your room account.
When were you able to do that? I upgraded tickets in December at the desk at Bay Lake Tower where we were staying, and they wouldn't let me charge the room. They wouldn't let me charge back to the room at the Guest Relations inside Magic Kingdom, either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter