Sorta Disney Dillemia

dsnycrzy

W/4 kids who has time for anything else but planni
Hello my DIS Friends,
I am having a problem with my trip.

Let me know what you think please.
As you know from my past post that I paid for my family and friends to go to DW. And the reason I did this is b/c my mom past away and when she was alive my kids and my sisters kids were together everyday. They also love my little sister b/c she has no kids and does all those nice things us tired moms can't (walk to far away parks, ride bikes etc.) Well in November, I took my sister and her kids to DW and it was cold and raining so we really didn't get to do anything so we decided we would plan another trip for late summer 2003. I in the end wond up paying for everyone and even decided to take my daughters friends. Knowing we were going to Florida, my sister decides to up and move from N.Y to NC with some people she met on her web T.V, leaving the only place she had to live. Got down there and got stranded. My wealthy uncle only helps me b/c I help myself and my sisters are into stupid things like $150 sneakers and stuff like that. Well my sister found a guy down there that rented her a house for $350 a month. And she had a job at Walmart. So thinking she made a turn around from her lazyness, I begged my uncle to help her with furniture and getting utilies on and stuff (totalling $5,000). After that she tells me she doesn't know how she's going to go to work b/c her hours are 4pm to midnight and welfare only gives her $325 a month. HELLO MY MOUTH HITS THE FLOOR. Knowing this I would have not gotten involved with asking my uncle to help. Now she has water bill, gas bill, electric bill, phone bill and rent, WITH $325 a month. I told her to get a job b/c she needs her own spending $ for FL. Careless thinking she told me she went to rent a center and rented a computer to download music with b/c she needed music:confused: . she could have used this money she's paying to rent that for spending money.
Well she calls me Monday and tells me to ask my uncle if he could pay for her electric bill and phone bill. Now from her $5,000 bill, my uncle just paid that pulling the money out of his Merrel lynch accounts (which the puts money in religously to keep it high to collect the intrest). he has not sent me any money - which he sends me $150 every 2 weeks for years, so that he can build back up his account. Well due to that lack of money in my pocket and another delimma, I didn't pay my electric bill and was getting a school check next Monday and going to pay it in full. I come home and the electric CO. is at my door ready to shut off the electric. The only way to keep it on was to pay them a check right then and there for $640. I called my uncle and he wrote me a check for $700 and I paid the guys at my door. He wasn't mad but he sounded a little down b/c I know that's coming out of Merrel Lynch. My sister calls me yesterday asking me if I asked him about her bills and I told her no b/c of what happened to me. And she's going to get mad and say "well I'm not going to let Disney World stop me I'm going to look for a job tomorrow". I was not going to argue with her and tell her "no one told you to pack up your 4 kids and move where you have no help anyway", way I? No. I just told her I have to get back to my H.W and hung up.
There was a post here acouple of weeks ago about the aunt who told her neice and nephews to earn there trip by keeping up grades and getting jobs and that her sister uses the kids as pons to get what she wants. Well this is where I understand her point b/c my sister knows I make every attempt not to let my kids down (which they will be if her kids don't go) and I try not to let her kids down.

Well I believe she just throw it in my face to pay her bills or she won't go. And I am so torn. Whay should I do? :confused:

I know I sound mean, but I would leave her butt home & just go with my kids and have a good time...... start your own family traditions with your kids. Your sister up and left your area, she has no money, she is an adult and if she wants to go to WDW she can pay her own way.....not you or your Uncle. She will never learn if she is always helped out....she will only dig deeper!

A mickeyfan,
you're not being mean everyone has told me this. As a matter of fact they tell me I shouldn't fool with either one of my sisters due to them taking part in the health issued that cause my mother her life. But like my mother I am being nice and hoping for a blessing and I receive them and just try to spread a little . My aunt jokes around and tells me I'm going to make them serial killers. My mom had stress realated heart conitions to the point were so needed a heart transplant. Instead of staying on disability and getting public housing to relieve the stress of worrying about bills. She turned it down to go back to work because my 2 sisters both grown and healthy one with 3 kids and was pregnant, didn't have anywhere to go and no jobs. Well my mom finally had a massive heartache in my car while I was taking her to work on day a place she didn't belong. If my sister would have gotten up off there butts it they at least wanted her to keep the house and get jobs. In stead they let her work and me put 2 and3 jobs to pay my household bills and help mommy with hers.
I'm trying to convince myself to just leave her alone but I and my kids will miss her kids.

Sorry to blabber

I guess I am just like her wanting everyone else happy but I'm going to have to make myself happy 1st and take my own advice I used to give her. "You are not helping them become functioning people in the world if you keep letting them ride your back. Push them out of the nest and let the fly, that natures way":( :( :( :eek: :(

I agree that you need to just worry about taking care of you and your kids, but something you can consider to combat her using her kids to get what she wants is to just take her kids and tell her she needs to stay home and work. That way, your kids are happy because they get to see her kids and her kids are happy because they get to go.

Ratpack,
I thought about that but I know she will say no just to make everyone as miserable as herself.

And I see you live in NC. She lives in Roxboro.

stop being an enabler!!! Take care of you and your family. You don't need to worry about them.... they will end up making you have a stress related problem (if they already haven't!). Go to WDW with your kids & ENJOY your self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can always bring your nieces & nephews back something from your trip.:D

Originally posted by A Mickeyfan
stop being an enabler!!! Take care of you and your family. You don't need to worry about them.... they will end up making you have a stress related problem (if they already haven't!). Go to WDW with your kids & ENJOY your self!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can always bring your nieces & nephews back something from your trip.:D

DITTO!!!!!!!!

We have gotten taken two other times by our family to Disney. On this trip they were on their own and it turned out well for everyone! You need to STOP or they never will.

Kathy

is your uncle giving you guys money?

and why doesn't she get child support if she has 4 kids?

Hey dsnycrzy,

I responded to your post over on the Budget Board and wondered "Why is this one family paying for 8 other people to go to Disney World???"

In my opinion, if you're having difficulty paying your own bills at all, then there is no reason that you should even be considering paying the way for your sister and her kids and your daughter's friends (as in more than one?).

My DH and I do okay financially -- not wealthy, but the bills are paid and we can put something aside in savings each month -- and there is no way we would pay the way for that many people. In fact, don't know of many people who would.

Tell sis you'd love to meet her in DW, but she'll have to pay her own way. Maybe it will give her a good reason to keep working. Likewise, I'd tell her that if she wants Uncle to give her funds, she should call and ask herself. Let her be a grown-up for a while.

Also, I don't know anyone who would pay the entire way for multiple friends of their daughter. Most people I know might allow daught to pick one friend to go and the friends' parents would be told that they would have to pay for food and spending money (at a minimum -- even asking them to pay for Disney tix would be reasonable).

Basically, I think you're being WAAAAAY too nice. You should look out for yourself and your immediate family. Take your kids to Disney World and enjoy your trip... and if your sister meets you down there, great!

Best of Luck,

EthansMom

P.S.: We're meeting my BIL, SIL and their kids in DW in Sept. and we won't be paying for any of their bill.

Just answering Questions.

sln88- My uncle has been like a father to me since I was born. I have always done the right thing by my family, so when I need help they don't mind stepping in. I was in management for about 4 years and when I switched companies, that co. went bankrupt, right before that happened my mom died. So for the last couple of weeks after my moms furneral, my sons father and mother watched my 2 kids while I worked as much overtime as I could until the last day. After that, I had no one to watch my kids regularly while I work any night job due to the fact that I found out my sons father was on drugs. I decided to collect unemployment and try to reroute my life with no job and no mom. Right after I became pregnant and had my baby by c/s at 34 weeks and was very sick. With my bills paid in advance for months (with the overtime). At 9 months they finally gave my baby the okay to go into daycare, so I am back in college.
My sisters get nothingfrom my uncle or anyone else in my family b/c they act like hodlums. I paid for everyone to go b/c I go every year and have so much fun and my neice and nephews always ask can I take them, so I did last Nov. and it was cold and rained. So we made plans for this Aug. but my sister got someone to claim her kids who stabbed her in the back and didn't give her the money, so I went on and took my $5,000 tax refund and paid for eveyone, even my little sister. Not paying my electric bill (which was they only thing due) until my 1,600 check came from school and the electric co, showed up before I could do that.
Ethan's mom- only 1 of my daughter's friends a little girl my mom used to keep, so she's like family and I haven't seen her in about a year since my mom died so we miss her and I just want to take her with us. I know if I told my sis to meet me there and pay her own way, My neices and nephews would never see WDW and keep working- ha ha ha don't make me laugh at the age of 28, I think she worked maybe 1 year in her whole life. Child support- what's that? baby father of 1st 3 just released from prison and doesn't even know where she is and with his temper and her additude, it's best that way to keep him from doing a life sentence and me raising her 4 kids. The last 1 some guy she met on that web tv thing and met in a hotel, he does send money for the baby but it can't support her whole family and it shouldn't have to. She's a nut.

She left an AT&T message for me Fri. saying her phone is cut off now and now she can't go look for a job. Asking if my uncle can pay it. I'm not asking him to do anything else for her b/c she's being lazy and taking advantage. He makes them go through me, so they won't call him. I'll pay her phone bill Monday and she can go look for a job-NOT.
Just so you know, if they do go they won't go again for a couple of years with me. I can only do me and my kids every year.
Thanks for your responses.

Good luck to you in getting through this! It seems to me that your sister knows exactly how to push your buttons. She is playing on your good nature to get what she wants. You are playing into her hand. It is a codependant relationship but is become one that is hurtful to you.

I encourage you to enjoy your vacation with your own family. I hope she learns to take care of herself.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is the absolute hardest thing ... step back and let them take responsibility for their own lives.

I had to do this with my son ... when I finally stopped helping him he got his act together ... by not helping him I actually helped him. He just sold that house he and his wife bought 3 years ago and they are now building a new bigger home.

My advice is to tell your sister that you can't help her anymore. Offer to take her children with you to WDW, but if she says "no" just say okay and enjoy your trip!

It's okay to say "no" to her ... she's made her own bed and she needs to lie in it or re-make on her own.

You guys are going to kill me but I went on and paid the $90 to get her phone turned back on and I paid $80 to keep her electric from being cut off on 8/11 which is 2 days before we leave. When she called me I explained to her that that was it. My uncle isn't going to help her anymore and with me going back to school, I make enough to support my family alone. I told her I am in no better position then her as far as employment (but I do get money from school and when I come back I will be working in school and I get child support, but no need to tell her that) I do not pay a morgage or rent or cable, my uncle bought my car straight out and pays the insurance every month so my main bills are phone and electric. If I do right and save I can afford to go to WDW every year.
I am planning a surprise trip for just my kids and I around Christmas time. I want to go to all those resturants you guys mention on here that I won't be able to go to paying for all those people. Thanks you guys

Originally posted by dsnycrzy
I do not pay a morgage or rent or cable, my uncle bought my car straight out and pays the insurance every month so my main bills are phone and electric. If I do right and save I can afford to go to WDW every year.

{{sigh}}

I know I'm going to sound really mean here ... and I would like to say in advance that I am sorry if I hurt your feelings :(.

You sound like you are sponging off your uncle as much as your sister is sponging off you. Don't you see it? You are able to go to WDW because you let someone else pay your rent, cable, car and insurance and who knows what else. It doesn't matter if he's "like a father" to you. You are an adult and should "do right" by paying your own bills instead of going to WDW, not to mention paying for other freeloaders.

If you already paid for her get as much of a refund back and tell her to use that to pay her bills but if you can swing it if you promised take her kids this time but don't take them anymore and explain to them because kids don't understand and will mistake it for youi don't love them anymore.

Originally posted by robinb
{{sigh}}

I know I'm going to sound really mean here ... and I would like to say in advance that I am sorry if I hurt your feelings :(.

You sound like you are sponging off your uncle as much as your sister is sponging off you. Don't you see it? You are able to go to WDW because you let someone else pay your rent, cable, car and insurance and who knows what else. It doesn't matter if he's "like a father" to you. You are an adult and should "do right" by paying your own bills instead of going to WDW, not to mention paying for other freeloaders.

I agree with Robin. I sounds like you and sister both are taking advantage of your wonderful uncle.

Originally posted by disneyjunkie
I agree with Robin. I sounds like you and sister both are taking advantage of your wonderful uncle.

I was wondering when someone would pick up on that. I'm sorry but I think you have your priorities a little off. If we can't pay all our own bills, we don't take a vacation. Yes, it's disappointing, but it will also teach your children they need to be responsible for themselves.

I really don't want to be mean! I think you are doing a great thing by going to school and supporting your children. You sound like an extremely nice person. But maybe you should rethink your plans. Taking all those people to Disney on your dime is not going to pay your bills.

For 1 I don't think you're being mean, you just don't understand.

For one I don't sponge. No one pays my rent b/c I have already bought my house BY MYSELF-NO HELP FROM MY UNCLE. I do not pay cable b/c I work for them p/t collecting cable boxes from people who no longer have service. I have worked for years and supported my sisters both grown and my mom when see was sick sometimes working 3 jobs. My uncle and I had lost touch for about 7 or 8 years due to a lie one of my jealous aunt told. When my grandmother had surgery, my job was up for a remodeling, so instead of taking hours at another store, I went to take care of my grammie and that's when we started speaking again. I have never sponged off of anyone. When my mom died, I lost my best friend due to the fact that my sisters are ghetto and believes the world owes them everything, me and my mom were VERY close. After she was buried and everyone was back in N.Y. I throw myself into work, pulling sometimes 13 hours a day. When my Co. went out of business and I sat home with no one to spend time with, I became extremely depressed. I stayed home went to counsling and tried to keep my head up for my kids and the baby I was then carrying. She was born premature due to me getting sick and I had to stay home with her until she was okayed for daycare. My uncle gladly offered to pay all my bills while I was out of work but I'd rather stuggle while collecting state aid then dig in his pocket. Now since I still can't find a job due to my restricted schedule, I decided to go back to college. That is why I don't have a steady job

As for my car, my uncle kept hearing from my grandmother my car kept breaking down (at least once a week) costing me a lot of money. They found some crazy reason for me to come visit them in N.Y during my birthday for a week and my mom offered to watch the kids while I took a vacation (FROM ALL 3 JOBS). On my birthday, they asked me to go with them somewhere (I should have knew something was up b/c my aunt and uncle bearly speak). Next thing I know we pull into a Mazda dealership where they ask for a man by name and tell me to take my pick of the 2 MPV's on the lot and said happy birthday. My insurance I tried to pay but since it was started on his card, it comes out automatically. I offer to pay and he tells me to worry about getting my degree not finances. I don't sponge at all, I'm just spoiled they all say, but I don't take advantage.

I just needed to clear that up. I pay all my bills that roll in. The only bill my uncle pays is my car insurance which is like $115 a month. Since he helped my sister, I told he he doesn't need to send me any money which he does every 2 weeks, EVEN WHEN I TELL HIM NOT TO. I must say he has taken my offer now to not send me any money. He and my aunt always tell me I ALWAYS look out for everyone else in there time of need and for the 1st time since I was 14 years old I am not working (I am 31 now), they will dare not sit back and watch me get the short end of the stick. All my aunts and uncles have no kids of there own. When my mom had me she was still living at home so I grew up with my aunts and uncles like brothers and sisters and my grandma like mommy #2 (and when I was school age I lived with my grandmother to go to a better school then the one where my mom lived). I feel I have a different bond with my family then my sisters, so we all look out for each other 100%. If any of them got sick right now I would pack and go help out that is just how I am. My uncle has recently offered to pay to send me and my kids on the disney cruise again (he sent us in 2000) and I turned him down b/c I need to get on my feet 1st. My trip for this year is paid for and with my p/t job and when I start working in school, I may afford a x-mas trip but I will not ask my uncle for a dime for it.
I really hope this cleared your thought up about my sponging, I am not at all like that. I really need some pixie dust now!!!!!

I agree with Stimpy.
I mean, I love WDW, but if we can't swing it on our own, then it's just not our time to go. We have goal to meet at a certain time to pay for our vacations, but sometime things happen. If you can't pay your bills, you shouldn't be going, much less your 8 guests. I just think that you need to look at the big picture. Pixie dust can make you feel great for a week, but eventually, you gotta leave Neverland. And your financial obligations will still be there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter