Sorry, kids. Momma's going to Disney for her birthday (and taking Dad too) April/May 2017

MY moms surgery was Thursday. Stage 3 ovarian cancer. We are all in shock. And sick. My mom is a rock star and was home Sunday night but only because I decided to stay an extra 2 days to get her home. My step dad is amazing but not a great care taker. He was flabbergasted her recovery has been what it has been. He wasn't expecting the extent and was unprepared. Which really makes me nervous about chemo. It was so hard to leave today to come home 3 hours away.

She should be starting chemo in 4 weeks. Considering we are supposed to leave in 5, we've once again made the decision to cancel our trip. I'm the only child close, her power of attorney, and today when I left she kept saying she couldn't have done this without me. I promised I'd be there every step of the way and being 900 miles away during her first or second chemo treatment isn't happening.

I'm so heartbroken I can't even begin. Our TA emailed me on Saturday that she had booked the Star Wars dessert party for the 4th. Once again a perfect trip with perfect plans is down the drain. It just feels like we will never make it back again. I know what I'm doing is for a good reason but it doesn't make it any easier.

Just stumbled across your TR...and finished reading it then got to this post...and I'm heartbroken for you. I know how you feel. It's hard to be far away when you have sick parents. My mom battled cancer for TEN YEARS! With her original breast cancer diagnosis she was still living in the same state (MD) but only an hour away from me. She then bounced back from that and was doing well and she and my dad moved 7+ hours away to retire in NC...and in 2012 she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She endured a failed surgery, radiation, chemo, depression...lots of stuff for about 5 years but she was a fighter. She passed away last month. My dad fortunately was a GREAT caretaker and my mom's sister moved about 45 minutes away from her about 2 years ago so between the two of them I knew she was in good hands and I didn't need to be there. From experience, her first chemo treatment will probably be okay...although scary since it's new to her...and most of the side effects will most likely take a few weeks. It's good that you are close but definitely try to get some more of your family to help if possible if you don't think your stepdad can manage things Maybe he will also surprise you and really step up though. So I'll be thinking of your family and especially your mom right now and I'm sure that trip will happen for you again...just hang in there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter